Should Scotland become independent?

Started by srb7677, September 18, 2022, 07:39:19 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: B0ycey on September 26, 2022, 11:51:00 AM
No, I would claim my passport and stay here.
I guess I would have a choice of the home Nations if the UK broke up as the 'British' part of my dual nationality doesnt specify which part of British they are refering to .

I'll think about it 

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

B0ycey

Quote from: morayloon on September 26, 2022, 10:56:03 AM
"I couldn't give a shit what Scotland does" Says it all. Out of interest what would you do if YES won the day? Move back to England?
No, I would claim my passport and stay here.

morayloon

Quote from: B0ycey on September 25, 2022, 12:24:30 PM
As long as you accept that people would have the right of duel nationality, then I couldn't give a shit what Scotland does. It fast tracks me to the EU and gives me, and English man is Scotland, my f**king rights in Scotland too. But as I said, my passport as it is now covers me in any case. I am covered under the UN right of self determination and so is everyone else with a passport given in its current form Scotland is in the UK. That was all I was saying.
"I couldn't give a shit what Scotland does" Says it all. Out of interest what would you do if YES won the day? Move back to England?

HDQQ

Although opposed to independence, I've always been in favour of devolution, even a 'federal' Britain consisting of semi autonomous states. Obviously Britain wouldn't have 50 states, it's too small. At the moment the UK has 3 'states' - Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, while England could be seen as 'federal territory' as it's ruled directly by the UK government (I'm borrowing US terminology here but you know what I mean). Further devolution in England would be a great idea but sadly it was rejected in a referendum some years ago, so we continue in this unequal partnership where different levels of autonomy apply in different places.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on September 25, 2022, 12:24:30 PM
As long as you accept that people would have the right of duel nationality, then I couldn't give a shit what Scotland does. It fast tracks me to the EU and gives me, and English man is Scotland, my f**king rights in Scotland too. But as I said, my passport as it is now covers me in any case. I am covered under the UN right of self determination and so is everyone else with a passport given in its current form Scotland is in the UK. That was all I was saying.
Pistols at dawn? :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: morayloon on September 25, 2022, 11:49:24 AM
Dual citizenship covers it! The country you live in will give you a passport of that country. You can also get a passport from another country. You talk of bigotry. You say that there are people, Scots presumably (quislings), who would not want a Scottish passport. They are the bigots and, what makes it worse, bigoted against their own country. If they don't want a Scottish passport, leave the country as they are obviously not interested in it.
With Dual citizenship you are not depriving people of anything. Brits living in Spain are covered in this way ie they have a Spanish passport and, presumably, they also have a British one.
Focusing on the issue of passports is making a mountain out of a molehill. It is a non issue. It merely shows the lack of any coherent argument for the union.

As long as you accept that people would have the right of duel nationality, then I couldn't give a shit what Scotland does. It fast tracks me to the EU and gives me, and English man is Scotland, my fucking rights in Scotland too. But as I said, my passport as it is now covers me in any case. I am covered under the UN right of self determination and so is everyone else with a passport given in its current form Scotland is in the UK. That was all I was saying.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on September 25, 2022, 12:19:13 PM
Are you for real, there is a double negative in that sentence. Don't highlight part of it.
You are correct, I apologise. 

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2022, 10:20:21 AM

Are you for real?

Are you for real, there is a double negative in that sentence. Don't highlight part of it.

morayloon

Quote from: B0ycey on September 25, 2022, 07:50:41 AM
Moray, it really actually explains why on number 2. It is because technically anyones nationality today is Scottish given Scotland is in the UK. What you are not understanding isn't that Scotland wouldn't have its own passport but you are trying to deprive someone's nationality who is by the fact of their passport currently in the eyes of the UN is as much Scottish as they are English, Irish or Welsh.

Dual citizenship covers it! The country you live in will give you a passport of that country. You can also get a passport from another country. You talk of bigotry. You say that there are people, Scots presumably (quislings), who would not want a Scottish passport. They are the bigots and, what makes it worse, bigoted against their own country. If they don't want a Scottish passport, leave the country as they are obviously not interested in it. 
With Dual citizenship you are not depriving people of anything. Brits living in Spain are covered in this way ie they have a Spanish passport and, presumably, they also have a British one.
Focusing on the issue of passports is making a mountain out of a molehill. It is a non issue. It merely shows the lack of any coherent argument for the union.

Nick

Moray, it really actually explains why on number 2. It is because technically anyones nationality today is Scottish given Scotland is in the UK. What you are not understanding isn't that [highlight]Scotland wouldn't have its own passport[/highlight] but you are trying to deprive someone's nationality who is by the fact of their passport currently in the eyes of the UN is as much Scottish as they are English, Irish or Welsh.
Quote from: B0ycey on September 25, 2022, 09:28:35 AM
Scotland would have its own passport, have I said otherwise?

Are you for real?

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on September 25, 2022, 09:14:35 AM
Who the hell would want to be Scottish, Irish or Welsh if they have no association to those countries? And why would Scotland not have its own passport?
Scotland would have its own passport, have I said otherwise? What I am saying that the right to that passport will be handed to 70m+ people who can decide whether they want to become Scottish or not. It isn't forced on anyone to take up the passport but I suspect people who live on the border, nationals in Scotland, those who want their EU rights back or Scots In the rest of the UK will.

Nick

Moray, it really actually explains why on number 2. It is because technically anyones nationality today is Scottish given Scotland is in the UK. What you are not understanding isn't that Scotland wouldn't have its own passport but you are trying to deprive someone's nationality who is by the fact of their passport currently in the eyes of the UN is as much Scottish as they are English, Irish or Welsh.
Who the hell would want to be Scottish, Irish or Welsh if they have no association to those countries? And why would Scotland not have its own passport?