Lizz is going to be unpopular

Started by Sheepy, September 20, 2022, 04:30:52 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 12:39:09 PM
Brown sold all our gold at rock bottom prices to try and win a GE, this was always going to be a short term blip, and it was.
What are you talking about? The crash occurred in 2008, long after the gold reserves were sold off between 1999 and 2002. As a result of the stimulus that followed the crash, the growth rate was soaring by 2010. How could this have been something that resulted from something done a decade earlier? 

Yes, it proved to be a blip, but only because Tory cuts killed it off.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: Good old on September 22, 2022, 12:36:11 PM
We have had this before, debt did little more than plateau , a very slight dip prior to Covid, from a position £800 billion more borrowing since 2010. Anyway it wasn't just the borrowing levels that were the problem . It was a complete reliance on cuts , as against any real investment in vital services that leaves us in dire straights now , those cuts in most cases have equated to a wastage of personnel that can not be replaced inside of years , in other words long term damage.
Labour took the country to the edge of the cliff, threw us off and then handed it over to the Tories. The country was set on that path by Labour, but you keep blaming the Tories. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2022, 12:02:33 PM
The annual deficit was actually coming down though by much less than intended because those Tory simpletons failed to understand that a national economy does not function like a household budget. Cut spending too drastically and the economy shrinks and the budget gets smaller in response, putting a severe brake on deficit reduction.

You are also equating the annual deficit with overall debt which continued to rise throughout the Tory years, the deficit being a measure of how much by each year.

Economic stimulus would have worked much better and done far, far less damage to the country which after swingeing cuts has become one where almost nothing works well and service provision is appalling and ramshackle. The Tories inherited an economy with a soaring rate of growth resulting from Brown's stimulus package. Had this continued, by enlarging the economy it would have reduced the deficit automatically with far fewer damaging cuts being necessary. But the economically illiterate Tories didn't get it.

In simple terms though your above statement is just plain wrong. Whilst the annual deficit - ie the amount being borrowed each year - was getting smaller, the size of the overall debt was still growing throughout that time.
Brown sold all our gold at rock bottom prices to try and win a GE, this was always going to be a short term blip, and it was. 

Good old

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:46:08 AM
U.K. debt was coming down before Covid, FACT. So the above is simply untrue.
We have had this before, debt did little more than plateau , a very slight dip prior to Covid, from a position £800 billion more borrowing since 2010. Anyway it wasn't just the borrowing levels that were the problem . It was a complete reliance on cuts , as against any real investment in vital services that leaves us in dire straights now , those cuts in most cases have equated to a wastage of personnel that can not be replaced inside of years , in other words long term damage.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:46:08 AM
The annual deficit was actually coming down though by much less than intended because those Tory simpletons failed to understand that a national economy does not function like a household budget. Cut spending too drastically and the economy shrinks and the budget gets smaller in response, putting a severe brake on deficit reduction.

You are also equating the annual deficit with overall debt which continued to rise throughout the Tory years, the deficit being a measure of how much by each year. 

Economic stimulus would have worked much better and done far, far less damage to the country which after swingeing cuts has become one where almost nothing works well and service provision is appalling and ramshackle. The Tories inherited an economy with a soaring rate of growth resulting from Brown's stimulus package. Had this continued, by enlarging the economy it would have reduced the deficit automatically with far fewer damaging cuts being necessary. But the economically illiterate Tories didn't get it.

In simple terms though your above statement is just plain wrong. Whilst the annual deficit - ie the amount being borrowed each year - was getting smaller, the size of the overall debt was still growing throughout that time.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Nick

Quote from: Good old on September 22, 2022, 11:26:34 AM
You really are blind. The country is now in such a mess it's not likely to ever recover . And ten years of unneeded cutting budget after budget to the bone , whilst borrowing through the roof , had us on a downward slope long before Covid, let alone Putins, war.  The Tories are going to leave this country in such a state it's likely , it will not even be stabilised in ten years time, in fact they have brought the Goose that once laid golden eggs to its knees by starving it with their ill judged cuts
Labour might not be able to clear this mess up , but they could not have made a  bigger one than this distinctly Tory mess.
As for poor people daring to have credit, wasn't that Thatchers whole aim in life. ? Were  the bankers so incompetent as to not know a bad debt when they saw one?  The banking world ripped its self off, governments around the world suffered for it. Incidentally very little of the debt that caused the collapse was accrued in this country . So what other than greed made our greedy bankers get their noses in the sub prime market?

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on September 22, 2022, 11:26:34 AM
You really are blind. The country is now in such a mess it's not likely to ever recover . And ten years of unneeded cutting budget after budget to the bone , whilst borrowing through the roof , had us on a downward slope long before Covid, let alone Putins, war.  The Tories are going to leave this country in such a state it's likely , it will not even be stabilised in ten years time, in fact they have brought the Goose that once laid golden eggs to its knees by starving it with their ill judged cuts
Labour might not be able to clear this mess up , but they could not have made a  bigger one than this distinctly Tory mess.
As for poor people daring to have credit, wasn't that Thatchers whole aim in life. ? Were  the bankers so incompetent as to not know a bad debt when they saw one?  The banking world ripped its self off, governments around the world suffered for it. Incidentally very little of the debt that caused the collapse was accrued in this country . So what other than greed made our greedy bankers get their noses in the sub prime market?

Just goes to show, the Westminster party all vote for the same thing. But then you won't see it until it is another crisis.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Good old

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:01:48 AM
Yes but you have to look at who was running the country at the time, the party that leaves the country in a worse state than they find it every time.

Before the rabid Labourites chirp up, we've just been through a pandemic and are in a war situation.

You really are blind. The country is now in such a mess it's not likely to ever recover . And ten years of unneeded cutting budget after budget to the bone , whilst borrowing through the roof , had us on a downward slope long before Covid, let alone Putins, war.  The Tories are going to leave this country in such a state it's likely , it will not even be stabilised in ten years time, in fact they have brought the Goose that once laid golden eggs to its knees by starving it with their ill judged cuts
As for poor people daring to have credit, wasn't that Thatchers whole aim in life. ? Were  the bankers so incompetent as to not know a bad debt when they saw one?  The banking world ripped its self off, governments around the world suffered for it. Incidentally very little of the debt that caused the collapse was accrued in this country . So what other than greed made our greedy bankers get their noses in the sub prime market?

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:01:48 AMBefore the rabid Labourites chirp up, we've just been through a pandemic and are in a war situation. 
Well who was running the country at the time? lol

The banking crisis was no more Labour's doing than the pandemic or the Ukraine war was the Tories'.

You cannot sensibly argue that everything bad that happens is the government's fault when Labour is in, but nothing to do with the government when the Tories are in. lol

You are I presume aware that the crash began in the USA? I don't recall the USA having a Labour government at the time. lol

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 22, 2022, 11:03:33 AM
The Tories have messed up the country since May 2010 and it is getting worse. (Britain is NOT at war.)
Did I say we were? 
I said we are in a war situation, the situation being our economy is being affected by the war, that is the situation. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 11:01:48 AM
Yes but you have to look at who was running the country at the time, the party that leaves the country in a worse state than they find it every time.

Before the rabid Labourites chirp up, we've just been through a pandemic and are in a war situation.
The Tories have messed up the country since May 2010 and it is getting worse. (Britain is NOT at war.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on September 22, 2022, 10:53:32 AM
Except he has a perfectly valid point, bankers bonuses are driven by pure greed which definitely added to the problem, while passing the buck for it on the poor.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on September 22, 2022, 10:28:32 AM
As Borky said, that was down to people having credit that shouldn't have had it and not paying it back. Nothing to do with bankers bonuses.

Except he has a perfectly valid point, bankers bonuses are driven by pure greed which definitely added to the problem, while passing the buck for it on the poor.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on September 22, 2022, 02:25:39 AM
The last time we had unlimited bankers' bonusses it generated such unrestrained greed that they tanked the global economy in pursuit of their own selfish greed.

And you think that kind of "talent" needs encouraging again?
As Borky said, that was down to people having credit that shouldn't have had it and not paying it back. Nothing to do with bankers bonuses.

Barry

Quote from: Sheepy on September 22, 2022, 08:43:53 AM
We might have to call Barry in then, so how long will it take exactly for them to pay back through tax the debt mountain, that they have done more than their fair share to create?
I don't have all the figures to calculate, but the last I heard the debt will never be paid back because it increases each year.

GOV love debt, or so it seems.
† The end is nigh †