Now for the good news — Guinness at £2.99 a pint

Started by patman post, September 20, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2022, 06:56:54 PM
Cor Blimey  sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52018360

Wetherspoon boss suggests staff could take jobs at Tesco

• Published
    24 March 2020

The boss of the Wetherspoon pub chain has said its staff can take jobs with supermarkets amid the uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Tim Martin told 40,000 workers in a video that they should feel free to take jobs at retailers such as Tesco while Wetherspoon pubs remain closed.
So what's disgusting about that two-and-a-bit year old story?

Suggesting Wetherspoons staff could get paid work elsewhere while their pubs were forced to close, doesn't seem disgusting. In fact it seems understanding. What would you want: wait an undetermined time for 80% of your pay, or go and get guaranteed full pay elsewhere?

I don't know what managers, bar staff and kitchen staff chose to do round here. But it seems most I know seemed happy to return when Wetherspoons reopened. 

Now the chain is offering low priced meals — admittedly not of gastropub standards — but they have some palatable choices equal to Mac and KFC and clones...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 20, 2022, 07:22:29 PM
Very old news that was taken out of context at the time and apparently now as well .  What he was saying that given that some of the staff would be struggling during the pandemic they should /could take other jobs  and that their spots at Spoons would be there for them when if the day ever came that they re opened .
Sound like a decent bloke to me
He is a terrible man.  The staff training is rubbish. Hardly anyone appears to know how to change a barrel. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2022, 06:56:54 PM
Cor Blimey  sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Published
    24 March 2020

The boss of the Wetherspoon pub chain has said its staff can take jobs with supermarkets amid the uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Tim Martin told 40,000 workers in a video that they should feel free to take jobs at retailers such as Tesco while Wetherspoon pubs remain closed.
Very old news that was taken out of context at the time and apparently now as well .  What he was saying that given that some of the staff would be struggling during the pandemic they should /could take other jobs  and that their spots at Spoons would be there for them when if the day ever came that they re opened . 
Sound like a decent bloke to me 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 20, 2022, 06:42:47 PM
"Disgusting" in what way?

FFS sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Published
    24 March 2020

patman post

"Disgusting" in what way?

The couple I use fairly regularly seem to have happy staff who have been there, in some cases, for years.

Closing is another issue — the whole hospitality sector is under threat from hikes in costs of energy and supplies and, for some, lack of staff since many left after the anti-foreigner aspect of the Brexit vote...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on September 20, 2022, 05:20:27 PM

I guess it's either Tim Martin's way of helping out during here stressful times, or him trying to throw a veil over the failure of Brexit.

I suspect because if the disgusting way he treats staff he will have to close a lot of Wetherspoons over the next few months.

patman post

Yep. I'm in Wetherspoons Rochester Castle and Guinness is £2.99 and Abbot Ale is £1.99 a pint. 

I guess it's either Tim Martin's way of helping out during here stressful times, or him trying to throw a veil over the failure of Brexit.

Even Liz Truss has rubbished the idea that a free trade deal with the US was to be the easiest job ever and is now like to be years away...