Tip of the Iceberg, or really just a few ?

Started by patman post, January 23, 2020, 08:33:44 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14457 time=1580209024 user_id=63
Yes, got it in one. Logica were famous for it, it's why I was happy to leave them. Their director was also infamous for some dodgy operations while on the board of a certain telecomms company. Like the portakabin of Pakistanis they imported. Seriously (1997)

Not only did the firm's landing software appear to fail to deploy the solar panels on the Beagle 2, but in having a read, I learnt that Dr Martin Read had a pay packet of 28 million, as described by a deleted link to the Independent. Apparently he was heavily criticised at the time, and quite likely because a lot of the money paid came from the tax payer. In wondering about this, I stumble across the following.

QuoteMartin Read is Chairman of Wincanton plc and the UK Government's Senior Salaries Review Body. Martin is a former chairman of Laird plc, the Remuneration Consultants Group and of the two government owned companies which manage contracts and payments under the electricity market reform programme (the Low Carbon Contracts Company and the Electricity Settlements Company).

https://www.gov.uk/government/people/martin-read#biography">https://www.gov.uk/government/people/ma ... #biography">https://www.gov.uk/government/people/martin-read#biography

Just the man for the job eh?
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14313 time=1580099135 user_id=74
Ah I see. I met some of the rich and famous working for Infosys a few years back. It seems to work by the work being done by the people you describe in India, but being billed to the government at British IT contract rates. The actual people whose job it is to talk to the government don't look Indian at all. They are earning about one thousand pounds an hour and travel the world talking to governments about how this wonderful IT will fix their problems. To give an example of the fees to tax payers, a national UK database for matching blind dogs to blind people needing them cost 20 million. The crazy thing was it was sold on the basis that it would save a great deal more, so as our 1000 pound an hour consultant told them, the decision was a no-brainer and they were stupid not to see it, although the last bit was kind of implied. I guess you could have put a cheaper bid in if you had been there.

Yes, got it in one. Logica were famous for it, it's why I was happy to leave them. Their director was also infamous for some dodgy operations while on the board of a certain telecomms company. Like the portakabin of Pakistanis they imported. Seriously (1997)
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14293 time=1580070902 user_id=63
Oh don't get me wrong, I very grateful to them. Every time a bank outsourced a financial package to a country that had no idea what a mortgage was nor how gambling was regulated (and that was only two examples, there were plenty more) they made such a royal ****up of the job that I made enough to enjoy the life of the rich and famous from the freelance fees I charged to sort out the sh*t they left behind.

Ah I see. I met some of the rich and famous working for Infosys a few years back. It seems to work by the work being done by the people you describe in India, but being billed to the government at British IT contract rates. The actual people whose job it is to talk to the government don't look Indian at all. They are earning about one thousand pounds an hour and travel the world talking to governments about how this wonderful IT will fix their problems. To give an example of the fees to tax payers, a national UK database for matching blind dogs to blind people needing them cost 20 million. The crazy thing was it was sold on the basis that it would save a great deal more, so as our 1000 pound an hour consultant told them, the decision was a no-brainer and they were stupid not to see it, although the last bit was kind of implied. I guess you could have put a cheaper bid in if you had been there.

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=14291 time=1580070635 user_id=74
I've just had an Indian on Youtube admit to me they are planning to take over the UK because of what we did to them. He also mentioned that it is the Indians which provide our jobs and there are many successful Indian companies in the UK, so we should be kind of grateful for the jobs.

Oh well, there's a bit of honesty for you. I guess they are feeling cocky now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I very grateful to them. Every time a bank outsourced a financial package to a country that had no idea what a mortgage was nor how gambling was regulated (and that was only two examples, there were plenty more) they made such a royal ****up of the job that I made enough to enjoy the life of the rich and famous from the freelance fees I charged to sort out the shit they left behind.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=14289 time=1580069060 user_id=63
I don't know. Nobody knows because the party responsible for flooding this country with immigrants turned a blind eye to any criminality resulting.

I've just had an Indian on Youtube admit to me they are planning to take over the UK because of what we did to them. He also mentioned that it is the Indians which provide our jobs and there are many successful Indian companies in the UK, so we should be kind of grateful for the jobs.

Oh well, there's a bit of honesty for you. I guess they are feeling cocky now.

johnofgwent

I don't know. Nobody knows because the party responsible for flooding this country with immigrants turned a blind eye to any criminality resulting.

Scott777

Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=14089 time=1579811624 user_id=70
But is the current trending mixture of smug "it's not us", cries of "there's a lot more not reported" and dismissive "we're a lovely welcoming country", going to do anything but cause more festering resentment of various groups among all residents of the UK...?

What causes resentment is that certain people have been shouting from the rooftops about grooming gangs, and the police, social services, etc, have decided to pretend is wasn't happening.

We shouldn't be accusing religions or ethnic groups of the cause, but at the same time, if the information is suppressed and the questions about ethnicity and religion are ignored, we won't know what the factors are.  Don't blame the average Joe, blame the police.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

The reported cases of child grooming and abuse by mainly men of Pakistani origin is only the tip of the iceberg, we're told.

Conversely, the number of race-hate crimes across the country are committed by only 0.1% of crimes recorded for a 65 million population, so that's not too bad.

Official estimates of the number of illegal immigrants in the UK are, again, only the tip of the iceberg, people claim.

But society is getting better as there were only 6000 reported cases of disability hate crimes in 2018-2019, with a reported rise in reporting over the previous 12 months of only just into double-figure percentage. Great!

Etc, etc, etc.

All the above crimes are horrendous and perpetrators should be dealt with. But is the current trending mixture of smug "it's not us", cries of "there's a lot more not reported" and dismissive "we're a lovely welcoming country", going to do anything but cause more festering resentment of various groups among all residents of the UK...?

PS: some interesting reading —

https://fullfact.org/crime/what-do-we-know-about-ethnicity-people-involved-sexual-offences-against-children/">https://fullfact.org/crime/what-do-we-k ... -children/">https://fullfact.org/crime/what-do-we-know-about-ethnicity-people-involved-sexual-offences-against-children/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49975697">https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49975697
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...