How disappointing

Started by T00ts, October 03, 2022, 01:34:45 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2022, 03:01:51 PM
And you are a boring little troll, but I am too polite to say so.
MOD Notice

Well don't say it then
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 05:02:43 PM
How could it possibly have impacted the poor? NOTHING HAS CHANGED YET. So you saying nothing has impacted the poor?

It was going to change though Nick. You know people can foresee things right?

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2022, 04:49:10 PM
But isn't this yet another example of mass hysteria whipped up by those who really should know better? Ok the markets went into melt down but wasn't that the surprise factor? Given time and a bit of space things may well have proved very differently. Once again those who don't understand economics focussed only on the bits that would frenzy the crowd. All the reporting was on the rich getting richer and that wasn't really the point at all. Everyone had a tax reduction but that was hardly mentioned. I feel it's very sad and feel that this could well be yet another watershed moment when future Governments will rise or fall purely on the whims of the media. It could end up that the media will be governing. Is that what we really want? Who is to say that if Starmer was in No  10 it would not end up the same way? I think we should be quite worried.
The mistake was not having an OBR T00ts. The fact Kwazi-uturn wasn't going to publish the report when he had a meeting last week when a report could be ready by Friday means the OBR wasn't going to be in his favor. We can discuss Starmer if you like, he said his borrowing was funded. Is it? We will never know. But GB energy would most definitely bring in revenue as wind farms are a quick set up and he would also do a windfall tax as well. He also gains on the top rate tax so maybe it was affordable.

And finally, tax cuts for everyone. Actually that isn't true. Or not in real terms anyway.  Anyone on £150,000+ had a tax cut. Everyone else had a tax increase given inflation surpassed their cut. And if you had a mortgage you were also going to be paying more in fees than subsides in energy. And then pensioners were losing yields. Why? Because gilts for the UK (borrowing) was now more than Greece, Spain and Italy so the BoE had to increase interest rates. Sunak to his credit did highlight this was going to happen during the hustings. So no, it wasn't hysteria or a knee jeek reaction. That is the reaction of unsustainable borrowing and Kwartengs borrowing didn't have an OBR to explain how his borrowing was going to be paid for.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 04:02:10 PM
It did have an impact on the Poor Nick, so I am failing to understand what you are implying here. The reason for the uturn was the impact it had if you didn't realise. And these impacts would have been picked up had Truss done an OBR and she didn't. But in any case, I expect the hope was this would have gone unnoticed so Truss could reward her backers. Ultimately when it was clear the mortgage rates was moving previously stonewall Blue a deep shade of Red, Kwasi-Uturn had no choice but to back down.
How could it possibly have impacted the poor? NOTHING HAS CHANGED YET. So you saying nothing has impacted the poor?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 04:02:10 PM
It did have an impact on the Poor Nick, so I am failing to understand what you are implying here. The reason for the uturn was the impact it had if you didn't realise. And these impacts would have been picked up had Truss done an OBR and she didn't. But in any case, I expect the hope was this would have gone unnoticed so Truss could reward her backers. Ultimately when it was clear the mortgage rates was moving previously stonewall Blue a deep shade of Red, Kwasi-Uturn had no choice but to back down.
But isn't this yet another example of mass hysteria whipped up by those who really should know better? Ok the markets went into melt down but wasn't that the surprise factor? Given time and a bit of space things may well have proved very differently. Once again those who don't understand economics focussed only on the bits that would frenzy the crowd. All the reporting was on the rich getting richer and that wasn't really the point at all. Everyone had a tax reduction but that was hardly mentioned. I feel it's very sad and feel that this could well be yet another watershed moment when future Governments will rise or fall purely on the whims of the media. It could end up that the media will be governing. Is that what we really want? Who is to say that if Starmer was in No  10 it would not end up the same way? I think we should be quite worried.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 03:45:02 PM
The rich getting richer has no impact on the poor, same as the rich getting poorer has no impact on the poor. The fact that your immediate thought was about the rich just proves Borkies point.

It did have an impact on the Poor Nick, so I am failing to understand what you are implying here. The reason for the uturn was the impact it had if you didn't realise. And these impacts would have been picked up had Truss done an OBR and she didn't. But in any case, I expect the hope was this would have gone unnoticed so Truss could reward her backers. Ultimately when it was clear the mortgage rates was moving previously stonewall Blue a deep shade of Red, Kwasi-Uturn had no choice but to back down.

B0ycey

Quote from: Borchester on October 03, 2022, 03:42:36 PM
Exactly.

Lefty economics = spite

It's not really spite though is it Borky. If borrowing means you're paying more in fees or devaluation it is actually something called self interest.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 03, 2022, 03:50:43 PM
The same left mantra as ever and it so misses the point. Surely the point is that if we tax those able to create wealth away from our shores just where is levelling up going to come from? I don't understand how those who constantly scream for more can deny those who would make the wealth their just dues for their effort. I don't understand the green eyed monster because that's what it looks like.

For some reason some people simply don't want to grant those who can, success. It's exactly the same with education. They would rather have everyone squeezed into the same size boxes no matter their abilities. It's crazy. That's not equal opportunity!
The left want a society like Lord of the Flies. 

T00ts

The same left mantra as ever and it so misses the point. Surely the point is that if we tax those able to create wealth away from our shores just where is levelling up going to come from? I don't understand how those who constantly scream for more can deny those who would make the wealth their just dues for their effort. I don't understand the green eyed monster because that's what it looks like. 

For some reason some people simply don't want to grant those who can, success. It's exactly the same with education. They would rather have everyone squeezed into the same size boxes no matter their abilities. It's crazy. That's not equal opportunity!

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 03:35:16 PM
No, I said people don't support the rich getting richer at their expense.
The rich getting richer has no impact on the poor, same as the rich getting poorer has no impact on the poor. The fact that your immediate thought was about the rich just proves Borkies point. 

Borchester

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 03:35:16 PM

Exactly.

Lefty economics = spite
Algerie Francais !

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on October 03, 2022, 03:20:05 PM
You just pointed to the fact that you're more interested in the rich not being richer which is exactly what Borky just said.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 03:01:21 PM
Conjecture as I have never seen it before. I expect most people want everyone to be better off and those who don't are usually the greedy 1%. Levelling up was a Tory manifesto pledge in any case and Truss was basically throwing that in the bin with her unfair tax system. As I said just, the reason for the uturn has nothing to do with Labour given the Tories would hate to throw them a bone like this. It has nothing to do with the Left who the Tories again wouldn't have wanted to throw a bone to. It is due to by and large Tory voters who were going to see their pensions lose value and mortgages increase and were moving their vote to Labour.

You just pointed to the fact that you're more interested in the rich not being richer which is exactly what Borky just said. 

Quote from: B0ycey on October 03, 2022, 02:44:43 PM
You mean they should be happy the Rich are even richer?

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 03, 2022, 03:06:01 PM
Perhaps more accurate to say that the Left rank and file prefer levelling down, to ensuring there's opportunity for everyone, because it's less difficult...
A somewhat rash generalisation. Wolfie Smith was a fictional character.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe