Trade minister Conor Burns sacked after misconduct claim

Started by papasmurf, October 07, 2022, 06:12:28 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 07, 2022, 10:06:31 PM
Oh blimey Steve it's nota mod issue I was just saying you and Nick are a pair of old gossips :D
Again, I expect you to take that back as I DIDN'T SPECULATE ON ANYTHING, I asked a question.

Quote from: Nick on October 07, 2022, 06:36:52 PM
Anyone have any idea what he's supposed to have done?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: cromwell on October 07, 2022, 09:38:57 PM
The point I was making to you and Nick was you were engaged in speculation Butt Kick
I wasn't engaged in any speculation, I have no idea what's alleged to have happen and asked if anyone knew. No idea where you hit that from. 

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 07:18:55 PM
Got drunk and couldn't keep his hands still? Seems the most likely!
But that isn't a firm answer. 

patman post

What's more frowned upon, lobbying that's against the rules, or a bit of "misconduct"?

I'm not looking for guidance here. But it seems good to see some are now less shrouded in undeserved protection than others...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on October 07, 2022, 09:53:10 PM
As was your fellow mod, Toots - the first in this thread to speculate that the nature of the alleged misconduct was likely sexual in some way. I agree that this is most likely. but we'll have to wait to find out for sure. Other possibilities could include physical violence or threats, grossly offensive language, some form of financial misconduct, or something we havent even thought of.

But sexual misconduct seems to me to be the most likely allegation, even though yes that is just educated speculation at this stage. That some form of gross misconduct has been alleged though is obvious. We have merely speculated as to the most probable nature of it.
Oh blimey Steve it's nota mod issue I was just saying you and Nick are a pair of old gossips :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 07, 2022, 09:38:57 PM
The point I was making to you and Nick was you were engaged in speculation Butt Kick
As was your fellow mod, Toots - the first in this thread to speculate that the nature of the alleged misconduct was likely sexual in some way. I agree that this is most likely. but we'll have to wait to find out for sure. Other possibilities could include physical violence or threats, grossly offensive language, some form of financial misconduct, or something we havent even thought of. 

But sexual misconduct seems to me to be the most likely allegation, even though yes that is just educated speculation at this stage. That some form of gross misconduct has been alleged though is obvious. We have merely speculated as to the most probable nature of it. 
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

B0ycey

Being the speed of the withdrawal of the Whip, it has to be something of the lines of Pincher I would say.

cromwell

Quote from: srb7677 on October 07, 2022, 09:31:48 PM
Of course. But being suspended from duties until exonerated is normal across the board for allegations of gross misconduct.

Were a work colleague of mine to make an allegation of sexual misconduct against me, I would be suspended pending investigation. If it proved to be a false allegation I would be back at work. If I were actually guilty I'd be sacked.

This would be normal in most work places. That being the case, suspending this MP from his ministerial duties pending investigation is not unreasonable, and far better than doing nothing.
The point I was making to you and Nick was you were engaged in speculation Butt Kick

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 07:34:45 PM
Gosh - praise! I think I just fainted!  ;D
You ought to know me well enough by now to know that I am a credit where credit is due kind of guy, as I see it. But being on the left as I am, my perspective means that seeing something worthy of credit from the Tories is not a frequent occurrence. lol

But if anyone in the Tory camp says or does something I agree with, I am happy to say so. There is after all nothing tribalist about my politics. I will praise any idea, policy, or action I think is right, and attack any I think is wrong regardless of party of origin.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

srb7677

Quote from: cromwell on October 07, 2022, 07:35:14 PMIsn't he innocent till proved otherwise?
Of course. But being suspended from duties until exonerated is normal across the board for allegations of gross misconduct.

Were a work colleague of mine to make an allegation of sexual misconduct against me, I would be suspended pending investigation. If it proved to be a false allegation I would be back at work. If I were actually guilty I'd be sacked.

This would be normal in most work places. That being the case, suspending this MP from his ministerial duties pending investigation is not unreasonable, and far better than doing nothing.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on October 07, 2022, 07:35:14 PM
ErmmIsn't he innocent till proved otherwise?
Yes - of course he is but his boss has to look to the general good and too many have got away with stuff recently. This is rather refreshing.

cromwell

Ermm
Quote from: T00ts on October 07, 2022, 07:18:55 PM
Isn't he innocent till proved otherwise?

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on October 07, 2022, 07:28:58 PM
It is rather refreshing to see prompt action taken pending the investigation. Spaffwaffle would have been defending him and refusing to take action against him and forced his ministers to do likewise, and the media would then have drip fed detail upon detail making the entire party look bad.

For once Truss appears to have done something politically sensible, which signals a refreshing zero tolerance to any potentially damaging scandal.
Gosh - praise! I think I just fainted!  ;D

srb7677

It is rather refreshing to see prompt action taken pending the investigation. Spaffwaffle would have been defending him and refusing to take action against him and forced his ministers to do likewise, and the media would then have drip fed detail upon detail making the entire party look bad.

For once Truss appears to have done something politically sensible, which signals a refreshing zero tolerance to any potentially damaging scandal.

T00ts