Who do you think will win the next general election?

Started by srb7677, October 11, 2022, 07:47:50 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2022, 08:17:57 PM
Studying history doesn't require he researcher to have been alive at the time. I was born in 1981, info that's available on my profile.

I believe that I am able to put reports of the time, recollections of contemporaries, and subsequent write-ups into the mix from which to judge what happened.

Giving you all the respect I feel is due, I do wonder if you really consider the info you're gathering before you mash it into one post...
That's perfectly right, but when someone is asking about a recent time and uses the term I can't remember it points to recalling the time. I did suggest that you were too young but you refuted that with a definitive no. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 07:40:18 PM
Seeing as you said your mum is about to turn 60, even if she had you at 15 (and I'm not being disrespectful) that would have put you at 9. Hardly an age to be following current affairs is it?
Studying history doesn't require he researcher to have been alive at the time. I was born in 1981, info that's available on my profile. 

I believe that I am able to put reports of the time, recollections of contemporaries, and subsequent write-ups into the mix from which to judge what happened.

Giving you all the respect I feel is due, I do wonder if you really consider the info you're gathering before you mash it into one post...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 07:40:18 PM
Seeing as you said your mum is about to turn 60, even if she had you at 15 (and I'm not being disrespectful) that would have put you at 9. Hardly an age to be following current affairs is it?
There are several people on this forum who don't follow current affairs at all, and it shows.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2022, 07:35:21 PM
No.

I suggest it's because I never had any skin in the game and have to rely on records of the time. But I accept that these may need to be reinterpreted...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2022, 07:35:21 PM
No.

I suggest it's because I never had any skin in the game and have to rely on records of the time. But I accept that these may need to be reinterpreted...
I was making coal mining equipment back at the time of the miner's strike.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 07:01:25 PM
I'm guessing that's because you were too young.
No. 

I suggest it's because I never had any skin in the game and have to rely on records of the time. But I accept that these may need to be reinterpreted...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 31, 2022, 06:54:51 PM
Not wishing to intrude on anyone else's argument, but wasn't the actual term used "unlawful".

If that was so, maybe it would explain why nobody was put on trial for going on, or calling a, strike.

There were criminal acts by both miners and Police, but I cannot remember that just striking resulted in criminal charges...
I'm guessing that's because you were too young. 

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 06:31:14 PM
28th Sept 1984 it was pronounced illegal in a court of law, yet again you're the ignorant one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/28/newsid_2540000/2540813.stm
Not wishing to intrude on anyone else's argument, but wasn't the actual term used "unlawful". 

If that was so, maybe it would explain why nobody was put on trial for going on, or calling a, strike. 

There were criminal acts by both miners and Police, but I cannot remember that just striking resulted in criminal charges...

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 31, 2022, 06:23:47 PM
I don't need to, you are ignorant of the facts (at the time.) Strike Ballot legislation requirement did not come in until the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.
28th Sept 1984 it was pronounced illegal in a court of law, yet again you're the ignorant one. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/september/28/newsid_2540000/2540813.stm

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 06:19:21 PM
Prove it.
I don't need to, you are ignorant of the facts (at the time.) Strike Ballot legislation requirement did not come in until the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992.

Nick

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 05:52:38 PM
Of course it bloody was. It was judged to be illegal once the ruling had been confirmed 6 months later.
It was NOT illegal at the time. 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 31, 2022, 05:39:05 PM
That was not illegal. (At that time.)
Of course it bloody was. It was judged to be illegal once the ruling had been confirmed 6 months later. 

cromwell

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 05:34:06 PM
The miners strike, Scargill took the miners out illegally without a ballot.
Oooh and you ppull me up going back over twelve years :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 31, 2022, 05:34:06 PM
The miners strike, Scargill took the miners out illegally without a ballot.
That was not illegal. (At that time.)