Hunt for PM…?

Started by patman post, October 14, 2022, 02:39:35 PM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 16, 2022, 07:20:47 AMThe left wing have been doing a number on the Tories for some time . Not unexpected but it really ramped it up when Johnson took the leadership
Parties will always seek to do a number on each other. That is par for the course. Johnson's problem was that he gave them far too much ammunition by his own constant lying and his party's obvious corruption. And it was seriously starting to tell against them in the polls. And it was after all his own side that brought him down when they finally decided that enough is enough.

Where they went wrong was in replacing him with a leader the public didn't want with a disastrous agenda the public never accepted. For that we have Tory MPs to blame for making Truss one of the front runners when it was so nearly Mordaunt. And we have the Tory membership to blame for foisting upon us a leader all the polling said the public didnt like or trust. This is not the left's doing. It is a Tory own goal.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Streetwalker

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2022, 10:01:20 PM
Aw come on - you take one little sentence out of context and turn it on me. Hardly fair. I see no point joining the the lynch mob who are so fired up at the thought of retribution for having won GEs that they  can only see the the rope and hanging tree. There are so many factors that have brought us to where we are but it doesn't suit the lynch party's narrative to admit the difficulties that the Conservatives have had to face. It's hardly been a cake walk and you can bet your bottom dollar that if Labour had been in power those difficulties would be only too quickly recognised. So let's be honest.
The left wing have been doing a number on the Tories for some time . Not unexpected but it really ramped it up when Johnson took the leadership . They new they couldnt win an election against Johnson and started a campaign to get him out . 
Every step he took was scrutinised and picked upon and to be fair he did well to bat most of it away .

But as we know too many lies and eating cake on his birthday became his undoing .  That his own party turned on him after he had showed loyalty to them on many occasions was his undoing .  The tories have imploded since without leadership of any worth and probably wish they had stood firm behind their ex leader .

The backstabbers will get everything they deserve , that we will have to suffer a labour government is something that wont be forgiven .
The tory party as it is ,is toast .   

srb7677

Aw come on - you take one little sentence out of context and turn it on me. Hardly fair. I see no point joining the the lynch mob who are so fired up at the thought of retribution for having won GEs that they  can only see the the rope and hanging tree. There are so many factors that have brought us to where we are but it doesn't suit the lynch party's narrative to admit the difficulties that the Conservatives have had to face. It's hardly been a cake walk and you can bet your bottom dollar that if Labour had been in power those difficulties would be only too quickly recognised. So let's be honest.
Yes let's indeed be honest. The Tories have faced difficult times but have themselves made a disaster out of them. Saying that is nothing to do with revenge for them winning an election or two, that's just silly. It is everything to do with their own massive screw ups, the facts of which you refuse to acknowledge. Perhaps that is partly because you wholly backed what Truss and Kwarteng did. So the disaster that ensued must be everyone else's fault and not theirs, right? Otherwise you would have to admit that you were wrong.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Baff

Quote from: B0ycey on October 15, 2022, 10:30:35 PM
BP and Shell just sell at the going rate. We don't own the gas that comes from our gas field given we bid it off. If we did profits are no longer a factor and as such would be charged at cost and not sold on the open market.

I don't think many people are willing to work at cost.

Baff

Quote from: cromwell on October 14, 2022, 02:46:10 PM
Hunt gets in you can guarantee Mr Punch wins next election.

/Agree.
I don't see him as an election winner.

B0ycey

Quote from: Nick on October 15, 2022, 10:19:39 PM
If you think there is a free market you're very naive. Whoever they are, they all get together to fix prices.

BP and Shell just sell at the going rate. We don't own the gas that comes from our gas field given we bid it off. If we did profits are no longer a factor and as such would be charged at cost and not sold on the open market.

Nick

Quote from: B0ycey on October 15, 2022, 10:09:57 PM
They would have been recognised and Tories would be screaming the loudest right now the same way we still hear them crying over Brown selling off the Gold. f**k ups always become trump cards of the opposition. But even so had Corbyn won and nationalised the energy sector, priced wouldn't be at the mercy of the free market for us right now. Sometimes the solutions are simpler than people would admit it seems.
If you think there is a free market you're very naive. Whoever they are, they all get together to fix prices. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B0ycey

and you can bet your bottom dollar that if Labour had been in power those difficulties would be only too quickly recognised. So let's be honest.
They would have been recognised and Tories would be screaming the loudest right now the same way we still hear them crying over Brown selling off the Gold. F@@@ ups always become trump cards of the opposition. But even so had Corbyn won and nationalised the energy sector, priced wouldn't be at the mercy of the free market for us right now. Sometimes the solutions are simpler than people would admit it seems.

T00ts

Quote from: srb7677 on October 15, 2022, 09:17:30 PM
You could make a start by stopping this nonsense of blaming everybody else but the Tories. Show some honesty yourself.
Aw come on - you take one little sentence out of context and turn it on me. Hardly fair. I see no point joining the the lynch mob who are so fired up at the thought of retribution for having won GEs that they  can only see the the rope and hanging tree. There are so many factors that have brought us to where we are but it doesn't suit the lynch party's narrative to admit the difficulties that the Conservatives have had to face. It's hardly been a cake walk and you can bet your bottom dollar that if Labour had been in power those difficulties would be only too quickly recognised. So let's be honest.

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 15, 2022, 10:07:51 AMAbove all we need some real honesty.
You could make a start by stopping this nonsense of blaming everybody else but the Tories. Show some honesty yourself.

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2022, 07:13:53 PM
Again, I agree. But I'm not sure Sunak would get unopposed support for becoming leader — which is the least it would need to replace Truss as PM.

So I'd go with Hunt as PM and Sunak as Chancellor — though Mordant seems to be lurking in the bushes...
If the Tories ditch Truss they won't be able to rally behind a single candidate because they are a bunch a snakes Patman. What they might do is have the one with the fewest votes drop out when it is down to two like Leadsom did so the members don't F@@@ up a second time. 

Also, Mordaunt is working with Sunak. Those two will definitely be throwing their name in the hat which is why Truss got the Sunak wannabe in rather than the main man. My guess is if Truss goes, Mordaunt is PM and Sunak is Chancellor and Hunt is left with egg on his face... again.

patman post

Quote from: B0ycey on October 15, 2022, 07:07:14 PM
Hunt is better than Truss I guess Patman. He seems to be doing the job right now too. But we need to accept Diz Truss is still in power and if she was to be replaced I still would rather have Sunak.
Again, I agree. But I'm not sure Sunak would get unopposed support for becoming leader — which is the least it would need to replace Truss as PM. 

So I'd go with Hunt as PM and Sunak as Chancellor — though Mordant seems to be lurking in the bushes...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2022, 07:03:53 PM
^^^
I think I agree.

Hunt is not my most favourite political character, but I don't care.

I want a competent skilled operator who can captain SS UK away from (out of) the mire Johnson and Truss have steered it towards/into.

I'd even support Eden, Heath, or Home if they put together a sensible cabinet to run the country...

Hunt is better than Truss I guess Patman. He seems to be doing the job right now too. But we need to accept Diz Truss is still in power and if she was to be replaced I still would rather have Sunak.

patman post

^^^
I think I agree. 

Hunt is not my most favourite political character, but I don't care.

I want a competent skilled operator who can captain SS UK away from (out of) the mire Johnson and Truss have steered it towards/into.

I'd even support Eden, Heath, or Home if they put together a sensible cabinet to run the country...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 15, 2022, 06:41:35 PM
As the BBC so fittingly puts it: Whether it's intentional or not, the message isn't that subtle: after the craziness of the last few weeks here comes an experienced grown-up to take control.

Only an elderly Tory Party member, steeped in Brexit and Boris, could believe staying with Truss and her fairytale economics was a sensible way forward.

The UK will most likely recover in time — but how long that time is depends on how soon Truss gets swept into the dustbin of history...

It be an interesting few weeks Patman. Hunt seems to be saying the right soundbites so I suspect that might calm the market. But another gaff from Truss could unravel everything. Whatever I think of Hunt... who has shown that he is a sniffling little shit in the past as it happens... he can at least communicate in a PM fashion which is more than I can say about 4 question Truss who is slow to respond even when she does speak. We also seem to have abandoned Trussnomics and we are now adopting the Sunak approach which was 'get the growth first before the tax cuts'.

As for Truss survival, Tories aren't winning anything with Truss. Their MPs either take the hit now and hope 2 years is enough to recover or have 2 years of perks and then kicked out of office. Don't care how long she has been in power, the quicker you change the weakest link the better so they should do the former. But Tories are short term opportunists so I expect the latter.