Hunt promises tax increases

Started by Borchester, October 15, 2022, 12:59:25 PM

« previous - next »

B0ycey

Quote from: patman post on October 18, 2022, 11:30:22 AM
Cuppatee?

Surely, your political allegiances should have the slogan: All proper tea is theft...?

Prefer the slogan "Each according to his ability, to each according to his need" Patman. Everyone working together and sharing the spoils very much like how the rest of the animal kingdom function.

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

srb7677

Quote from: T00ts on October 17, 2022, 01:13:43 PM...and the blob conquers all again........Those who for their own reasons want Brexit and the country to fail.
Again the utter disconnect from reality. Because nothing caused the country to fail so badly and so quickly than the Truss/Kwarteng experiment, paid for on the never never without any backing from the OBR. Massive failure and total lack of mea culpa from you. I guess it's everyone else's fault, is it?
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Scott777

Quote from: T00ts on October 17, 2022, 06:46:38 PM
but he was right about sorting out the mandarins etc.

Well that's one way to call the Chinese.  😉
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Barry

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2022, 12:59:25 PM
As far as I can see, Liz Truss has been roundly condemned for cutting taxes, but her new Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has just told the BBC that some taxes will rise. Since that is what the public clearly want, I imagine that her popularity will soar

:)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63265464
What a miserable, boring sod Hunt is.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 17, 2022, 06:46:38 PM
I think you will find that I have been saying this forever. Whitehall is working against the Gov particularly on Brexit. Cummings was a nutter in many ways but he was right about sorting out the mandarins etc.
Is that so, I will keep that in mind the next time they have under their fear spell.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2022, 06:37:40 PM
LOL finally caught on then.
I think you will find that I have been saying this forever. Whitehall is working against the Gov particularly on Brexit. Cummings was a nutter in many ways but he was right about sorting out the mandarins etc.

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 17, 2022, 01:13:43 PM
...and the blob conquers all again. Those comfortable with the status quo. Those who for their own reasons want Brexit and the country to fail. We kid ourselves that those in Westminster, but even more importantly in the back corridors and bars of Whitehall, are not hell bent on getting us back into the EU one way or another. Don't imagine that Labour would be safe in the same circumstances. There is much more at play here than the obvious.
LOL finally caught on then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Scott777

Quote from: patman post on October 17, 2022, 05:18:27 PM
I guess that gives us a different slant on things...

Oih, waycist.  😁
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Scott777

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on October 15, 2022, 12:59:25 PM
As far as I can see, Liz Truss has been roundly condemned for cutting taxes, but her new Chancellor Jeremy Hunt has just told the BBC that some taxes will rise. Since that is what the public clearly want, I imagine that her popularity will soar

:)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-63265464
Why would anyone in their right mind, or with an ounce of common sense, think that after all that was spent on seeing the UK through the pandemic there would be any tax cuts?

Truss, perhaps believed what she said about cutting tax, and obviously believed she could do the job of PM, but she just goes to prove that a Leeds comprehensive doesn't really prepare someone who can soak up buzz words and phrases, for real adult work — even if honed by an Oxford degree.

It's been obvious for decades that most of the electorate have the memory length of a goldfish, but the floating vote that usually decides elections is normally more evaluating. It's a great shame the selection of PM was left to the Tory party membership. And if, as I'm thinking, this was William Hague's doing, he should be deprived of party membership...

T00ts

...and the blob conquers all again. Those comfortable with the status quo. Those who for their own reasons want Brexit and the country to fail. We kid ourselves that those in Westminster, but even more importantly in the back corridors and bars of Whitehall, are not hell bent on getting us back into the EU one way or another. Don't imagine that Labour would be safe in the same circumstances. There is much more at play here than the obvious.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on October 16, 2022, 07:48:16 PM
Hunt is not trying to please the market he is doing as he is told by it  as the were quite clearly the ones who appointed him
Would "the ones who appointed him" be something like these mythical New World Order Globalists we hear about?

Or is it more likely to be that sane and seasoned finance and Treasury experts, who understand that individual governments cannot control or ignore the international finance markets, advised the Truss camp (and men in grey suits), she had to drop her plans and get someone of substance to run the economy...?