Main Menu

Flying Things

Started by morayloon, October 25, 2022, 02:57:07 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on October 25, 2022, 09:02:45 PM
Indeed. Everyone needs to be a bit batty sometimes
Speak for yourself —  though I reckons youz a bit ancient fo' still bein' a batty boy...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nick on October 25, 2022, 11:41:18 AM
Thanks SW, we know all about the PM's going around. Water of a 🦆 back.
A free forum hosted on a free forum site that looks the forum equivalent of a borstal. If that's what they want, don't let the door hit them on the arse on the way out.
If the PM is the one I think, the one I got, then I think you're overreacting.

a bit of history for readers, not aimed at anyone particularly

Well over 15 years ago a debate forum was started as a research project by a chap who I believe was a teacher in Ross on Wye. Funnily enough he used the predecessor software to this forum's but that's as far as the similarity went

anyway when he lost interest three guys went searching for a new host and found one. I was the admin. I did learn a few useful techie skills from running it, but got bored of the need to moderate the infighting. I handed the keys over to one of the others in the initial triumvirate.

about a year ago I got a message from the third guy asking if I had contact details for the other chap as he seemed to have gone off grid. After a bit of digging I came to the conclusion that the worst had happened, the guy was after all older than me and in poorer health.

moving on, a few months ago I found a chat about a quite separate site at which someone I used to know online had set up home. Imagine my surprise to find I actually had a login on the server / group site from over a decade ago which when I resurrected it showed me quite a few people from my old site I administrated who obviously migrated or had parallel accounts

a fortnight ago THAT sites admin chose to shut it down, citing a dislike of the way discussion of Russia v the Ukraine was going there

next thing I know a chap on there is using the PM system here to announce to members here their decision to put up a replacement for that other site somewhere else.

bad form? Probably but not seen by me as an attack on your site here but that's because I knew all this history. Which I've put here to give others an insight.

cheers John v
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on October 25, 2022, 08:41:04 AM
It's Halloween - I love them! ;D
Indeed. Everyone needs to be a bit batty sometimes
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

cromwell

Quote from: T00ts on October 25, 2022, 08:18:16 PM
I swear that was not there when I looked earlier because that's where I thought it was and it wasn't. Is someone trying to convince me that I am losing my marbles? Rant  Butt Kick  Dancing
Maybe losing your snowflakes :D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: B0ycey on October 25, 2022, 08:04:28 PM
Nice one Cromwell. You're my guiding star. You best do the same for Morayloon. Think he hates them more than me.
Ta BOycey and
@morayloon
following BOyces suggestion yours are off too.

T00ts

Quote from: cromwell on October 25, 2022, 07:40:33 PM
@T00ts
Go to profile
click on summary
Under your name and avatar sections re posts
Beneath that date and time
Beneath that middle option modify profile
Bottom option snowflakes switch off snowflakes bats go off.
:P
I swear that was not there when I looked earlier because that's where I thought it was and it wasn't. Is someone trying to convince me that I am losing my marbles? Rant  Butt Kick  Dancing

B0ycey

Quote from: cromwell on October 25, 2022, 07:55:17 PM
@BOycey took the liberty of turning off your bats because they were annoying you,not something I'd normally do but hope it worked.
Nice one Cromwell. You're my guiding star. You best do the same for Morayloon. Think he hates them more than me.

cromwell

@BOycey 
took the liberty of turning off your bats because they were annoying you,not something I'd normally do but hope it worked.

cromwell

@T00ts
Go to profile
click on summary
Under your name and avatar sections re posts
Beneath that date and time
Beneath that middle option modify profile
Bottom option snowflakes switch off snowflakes bats go off.
:P

T00ts

Quote from: patman post on October 25, 2022, 06:59:53 PM
The snowflakes part of the query — is that for technical or editorial purposes...?
LOL You might remember that last Christmas I think it was we had some snowflakes falling on the screen and Pappy I believe couldn't cope with his eyesight and we could switch them off through Profile. 

patman post

Quote from: T00ts on October 25, 2022, 06:28:22 PM
@Nick is there a way for those with sight problems to remove the bats? I thought we were able to remove the snowflakes in the past but I can't find it.
The snowflakes part of the query — is that for technical or editorial purposes...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: Nick on October 25, 2022, 06:00:46 PM
what happens on your screen is entirely down to the device you're running. If that's a C64 then yes you'll see things slow, otherwise this forum uses very little CPU time. The delays are all down to the Servers and being in the US.
Never owned a Commodore — in fact they were defunct before I was born..

T00ts

Quote from: Nick on October 25, 2022, 06:00:46 PM
what happens on your screen is entirely down to the device you're running. If that's a C64 then yes you'll see things slow, otherwise this forum uses very little CPU time. The delays are all down to the Servers and being in the US.
@Nick is there a way for those with sight problems to remove the bats? I thought we were able to remove the snowflakes in the past but I can't find it. 

Nick

Quote from: patman post on October 25, 2022, 01:34:19 PM
I see them!

(Or I did) — I've just moved onto another computer, and they were fluttering around before I logged on.

I know Nick disputes this, but all the animation going on here can't help the overall speed...
what happens on your screen is entirely down to the device you're running. If that's a C64 then yes you'll see things slow, otherwise this forum uses very little CPU time. The delays are all down to the Servers and being in the US. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

B0ycey

Quote from: T00ts on October 25, 2022, 05:36:51 PM
Mod Notice

We have been asking the same thing about Pappy for over a week. We can only assume that he is away but are hopeful it isn't a sign that he is not well or something.

Don't worry T00ts, Pappy is made of strong stuff. No doubt he's at Westminster making sure Truss fucked off and holding the Tories to account.