Cornwall gets ready to repel illegal immigrants.

Started by papasmurf, November 30, 2022, 07:50:54 PM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 01, 2022, 11:10:24 AM
There are at least fifty places in Devon I can think of.

In my Scuba Diving days our Senior Instructor had the three Dive Masters in the club to a risk assessment of EVERY INCH of Devon and Cornwall's 'east facing' coast from Beer to the Lizard.

Ease of Road Access, Parking, Facilities, Ease of Water Entry and Exit with kit, RIB launch access, Phone Coverage, Coastguard coverage, Radar Coverage as detected on Microwave RF receivers, Helicopter Launch Pads, Hospitals, Landline Phines, Cellular Service bars, the whole kit and caboodle

We were quite popular with other dive clubs but it was pretty bloody starkly obvious even then what 15 years ago we could make a bloody fortune with an Offshore 105 flat bed fishing / dive charter boat NO ONE other than an passing AWACS aircraft would have a chance of seeing us if we turned out transponders off
Back when I was at sea, we would pick up friends and drop them off anywhere we were going to on the Continent. No one took a lot of notice.

This idea of having rows of battleships linked in a solid line from the Okneys to Land's End ready to machine gun anybody attempting to cross the Channel is fun, but we don't have the resources and even if we did it would not work.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on December 01, 2022, 11:10:24 AM

In my Scuba Diving days our Senior Instructor had the three Dive Masters in the club to a risk assessment of EVERY INCH of Devon and Cornwall's 'east facing' coast from Beer to the Lizard.

Ease of Road Access, Parking, Facilities, Ease of Water Entry and Exit with kit, RIB launch access, Phone Coverage, Coastguard coverage, Radar Coverage as detected on Microwave RF receivers, Helicopter Launch Pads, Hospitals, Landline Phines, Cellular Service bars, the whole kit and caboodle

We were quite popular with other dive clubs but it was pretty bloody starkly obvious even then what 15 years ago we could make a bloody fortune with an Offshore 105 flat bed fishing / dive charter boat NO ONE other than an passing AWACS aircraft would have a chance of seeing us if we turned out transponders off
Quite. (Most of where I live is either a not spot for mobile phones or very unreliable for mobile phones.)
The last AWACS type aircraft that was used for responding to suspicious coastal activity was scrapped decades ago. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on December 01, 2022, 08:47:35 AM
Joking apart, they could be landed by the thousand at disused quay but with still working equipment on the East of the Lizard, there is no Radar coverage.

Ease of Road Access, Parking, Facilities, Ease of Water Entry and Exit with kit, RIB launch access, Phone Coverage, Coastguard coverage, Radar Coverage as detected on Microwave RF receivers, Helicopter Launch Pads, Hospitals, Landline Phines, Cellular Service bars, the whole kit and caboodle 

We were quite popular with other dive clubs but it was pretty bloody starkly obvious even then what 15 years ago we could make a bloody fortune with an Offshore 105 flat bed fishing / dive charter boat NO ONE other than an passing AWACS aircraft would have a chance of seeing us if we turned out transponders off
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 30, 2022, 10:02:27 PM
Its pointing the wrong way :) you need to be aiming at the A39
Joking apart, they could be landed by the thousand at disused quay but with still working equipment on the East of the Lizard, there is no Radar coverage.

Streetwalker

Its pointing the wrong way :) you need to be aiming at the A39 

papasmurf