Not something that I like to mention on a UK board, but

Started by Borchester, January 09, 2023, 04:41:27 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 05:11:03 PM
One example does not change the fact that social mobility has been at a near standstill for decades and that has been the subject of much handwringing, comment in the press/media and debate in Parliament.
Just cause you've had a wasted life doesn't mean everyone has. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

When you are standing still at the top, it's a good thing and not a bad.

That the loony left are still pretending they live in a Victorian society of their imagination surprises no one.
Grievance culture. The politics of envy.

It's not your fault you made all the wrong choices and didn't try very hard.
You poor thing.

Pay me loads of tax money and I will ensure that you get what you really deserve.
All those people doing better than you are just bastards. They are the reason you are poor.

Don't listen to nihilists mate. That's not going to improve your circumstances any.
Listen to Bill Gates.
If you want it, you can get it. Go for it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 05:08:03 PM
Once you get to the top it's pretty hard to go higher.
Anyone from any background can make it to the top here.

Look at that runner, Mo Farah.
Are you telling me he found no social mobility here?
One example does not change the fact that social mobility has been at a near standstill for decades and that has been the subject of much handwringing, comment in the press/media and debate in Parliament.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 03:34:16 PM
Baff you really are joking, social mobility in Britain has been at a near standstill for decades.
Once you get to the top it's pretty hard to go higher.
Anyone from any background can make it to the top here.

Look at that runner, Mo Farah.
Are you telling me he found no social mobility here?

You have all the tools you need to get to the top here.
All of them.
Everyone does.

Education, bank loans. Job opportunities. A wealthy customer base. A market. Law and order. A social safety net.
Access to everything you need.

If you fail here, you are either unlucky or didn't make the effort.

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on January 10, 2023, 03:27:41 PM
They are clearly getting poorer in the sense that the real value of their pay is falling for the majority simply by not keeping pace with inflation. Your attempts to deny this reality are risible.
And that's the bit where your assumption falls down. Their pay may be going down but there can be a hundred reasons why they are not actually getting poorer.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on January 10, 2023, 02:24:52 PM
 We have very high social mobility here.
Baff you really are joking, social mobility in Britain has been at a near standstill for decades.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 10, 2023, 10:45:11 AM
No it doesn't, that's the same as Ducks float, wood floats therefore ducks are made of wood.
The stay shows "Average pay rises in both the public and private sectors are well below inflation." and only that. You have no idea what people's financial situations are so therefore can't backup such a claim that everyone, majority or most people are getting poorer.
They are clearly getting poorer in the sense that the real value of their pay is falling for the majority simply by not keeping pace with inflation. Your attempts to deny this reality are risible.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 01:31:58 PM
That is so crass it is not worth an answer.

I think there is a good ethos to this quote.
It is certainly healthy to encourage those people who wish to increase their wealth to do so and to encourage them with the spirit of possibility.
And I think there is a whole lot of truth to this in countries like this one. We have very high social mobility here.
I struggle to imagine a person without the opportunity to escape from poverty in this country. Pretty much all of my own family has done so in a single generation.
All of them. And by and large most people here acquire wealth over their lifetimes. 
There is such a thing as a poverty trap, but it's hard to find many examples of them in this society.

However, it is not lost on me that person this quote is attributed to was born rich and will die rich.

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on January 10, 2023, 12:29:52 PM
And you clearly don't know what the words evidence or majority mean.
Evidence is a statistical fact like measured average pay increases. And a majority is more than half. If the average pay increase is well below inflation then clearly a lot more than half - ie a majority - are getting below inflation increases, ie are getting poorer in real terms. I think it is you who are struggling with the meaning of words like "evidence" and "majorities".

For some actual figures, inflation is well above 10% right now, but average pay has increased by only 6.3%. Hence on average working people are getting poorer. You might be an exception and if so lucky you.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 10, 2023, 12:55:11 PM
''Its not your fault if your born poor , its is if you die poor ''  (Bill Gates)
That is so crass it is not worth an answer.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 12:11:43 PM
You really must be joking or a VERY long way out of touch.
''Its not your fault if your born poor , its is if you die poor ''  (Bill Gates) 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 10, 2023, 11:31:46 AM
There has been more than enough evidence that since May 2010 the Tory incompetence and callousness has now led to the majority of the population getting poorer. (You would know that if you bothered to keep up with current affairs.)
And you clearly don't know what the words evidence or majority mean. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 10, 2023, 11:51:54 AM.  There is no reason to be poor in the UK .
You really must be joking or a VERY long way out of touch.

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 10, 2023, 11:51:54 AM
Financially for some maybe but only those who lived right up to or beyond their means .  Whatever your income living within your means with a bit of wriggle room for hard times seems to have been lost for many .  There is no reason to be poor in the UK .
And now petrol prices have fallen below the 30 shilling mark.

Let us hope it does not continue. There is only so much happiness some folk can take :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64222643

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on January 10, 2023, 10:36:54 AM
The stats prove it. Average pay rises in both the public and private sectors are well below inflation. This mathematically proves that most working people are getting poorer in real terms.
Financially for some maybe but only those who lived right up to or beyond their means .  Whatever your income living within your means with a bit of wriggle room for hard times seems to have been lost for many .  There is no reason to be poor in the UK .