Don't you hate it when

Started by Borchester, January 17, 2023, 04:13:59 PM

« previous - next »

HDQQ

Quote from: Borchester on January 17, 2023, 09:03:43 PM
I had chap round a while back to tidy up some double glazing and he explained that there was a lot more to the job than met the eye. And I thought well lad, you are going to secure the frame with a few wooden pegs and then seal it with mastic and I was doing that sort of thing when you were still shitting yellow and to be honest, no there ain't a lot to it.

But he was a good kid, so I didn't say anything :)
This is one the eternal bugbears of businesses, public services and even charities. The capable, conscientious and productive worker (or volunteer) with a grumpy attitude.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 17, 2023, 05:43:22 PM
As you know Borky Ive been in the building game for more years than I care to remember but Ill tell you something that you might want to file somewhere . ::)
Double glazing fitters are not craftsmen . They are firemen , milkmen , hod carriers with broken ankles , skint  alcoholics and failed bankers . At best and this sounds like your guy he can read a tape measure and has a few tubes of mastic in the van .
The general drearyness is a mask for the stress he is going through as he covers for his uselessness in the hope the client has less clue about what he is doing than he does .

I had chap round a while back to tidy up some double glazing and he explained that there was a lot more to the job than met the eye. And I thought well lad, you are going to secure the frame with a few wooden pegs and then seal it with mastic and I was doing that sort of thing when you were still shitting yellow and to be honest, no there ain't a lot to it.

But he was a good kid, so I didn't say anything :)

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 17, 2023, 07:47:12 PM
Pretty slow process that not to mention labour intense . Just chuck a pallet up with the forks and hod the bricks around the scaffold . You still have do the mortar so that gismo is a bit of waste really. Only ever seen such plant used by roofers getting tiles up which it is ideal for .
But yes hods as we knew them are less common , no ladder work due to H&S made bucket carriers a cheaper option and the poor bricky having to do the other stuff a good hoddy used to do
They had a different hoist for mortar
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2023, 07:19:08 PM
The were replaced by this type of thing. (Builders doing some council house refurbishment near me are using one.)

Pretty slow process that not to mention labour intense . Just chuck a pallet up with the forks and hod the bricks around the scaffold . You still have do the mortar so that gismo is a bit of waste really. Only ever seen such plant used by roofers getting tiles up which it is ideal for .
But yes hods as we knew them are less common , no ladder work due to H&S made bucket carriers a cheaper option and the poor bricky having to do the other stuff a good hoddy used to do 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on January 17, 2023, 06:45:45 PM
Do you know that I have not seen a hod carrier in years.

Do they still exist?
The were replaced by this type of thing. (Builders doing some council house refurbishment near me are using one.)

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on January 17, 2023, 05:43:22 PM
As you know Borky Ive been in the building game for more years than I care to remember but Ill tell you something that you might want to file somewhere . ::)
Double glazing fitters are not craftsmen . They are firemen , milkmen , hod carriers with broken ankles , skint  alcoholics and failed bankers . At best and this sounds like your guy he can read a tape measure and has a few tubes of mastic in the van .
The general drearyness is a mask for the stress he is going through as he covers for his uselessness in the hope the client has less clue about what he is doing than he does .

Do you know that I have not seen a hod carrier in years.

Do they still exist?

Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on January 17, 2023, 04:13:59 PM
the best craftsmen are dreary arseholes?

I have some double glazing that needs doing. It is under sized and an unusual frame and all the other supplies have said dear oh dear, sorry squire, wish we could help but we don't do that etc etc.

Bloody useless, but cheery souls.

Except the one I found a couple of days ago. And he can do anything except smile. I want the window fixed, Herself off my back and will put up with most anything to get the first two accomplished, but Jesus Christ, this bloke sucks the music out of the air.
As you know Borky Ive been in the building game for more years than I care to remember but Ill tell you something that you might want to file somewhere . ::) 
Double glazing fitters are not craftsmen . They are firemen , milkmen , hod carriers with broken ankles , skint  alcoholics and failed bankers . At best and this sounds like your guy he can read a tape measure and has a few tubes of mastic in the van .

Borchester

the best craftsmen are dreary arseholes?

I have some double glazing that needs doing. It is under sized and an unusual frame and all the other supplies have said dear oh dear, sorry squire, wish we could help but we don't do that etc etc.

Bloody useless, but cheery souls.

Except the one I found a couple of days ago. And he can do anything except smile. I want the window fixed, Herself off my back and will put up with most anything to get the first two accomplished, but Jesus Christ, this bloke sucks the music out of the air.
Algerie Francais !