Chips with everything. (Pub Food.)

Started by papasmurf, February 03, 2020, 08:59:27 AM

« previous - next »

Wiggles

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15209 time=1580720367 user_id=89
My wife and I have noticed that with few exceptions pubs all seem to have the same menu these days.

It is chips with everything and burgers, or "ethnic" food.

Anyone got an explanation as to why?

In my area the carvery rules. Lincolnshire is a step back in time. I am a veggie, and whilst eating out in the south of the country is now very easy, eating out here is a real issue
A hand up, not a hand out

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17151 time=1582310411 user_id=70
Used to surprise me when walking into an out-of-London chippy to find Chinese faces behind the counter — it even happened in N16 some years ago now and it offers fish and chips and some Chinese. But Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are now more plentiful than Chinese round here and may even be outnumbering Indian — both actual and Bangladeshi. I guess the macho Brit palate prefers it hot and doesn't realise some Szechuan dishes will rock their socks off...

You know Thailand was the place where the ruling class of China fled when Mao took em on?

So when we talk about Thailand we refer to a place which was "recognised" by Uncle Sam, where China under Mao was for a long time unrecognised as a sovereign state. Likewise with Hong Kong, it had closer connections to the West. All three though are essentially the same thing, a bit like Great Britain is the same thing but has regional cultural differences. You might think of the Thai people as a bit posher than the Chinese peasant, but these days the Chinese peasants are becoming middle class. They are like your underdog making his way up the ladder, where the Thai people were from families that never had to work that hard in the past days of imperialism. Hong Kong was only a lease for 100 years.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=17141 time=1582300962 user_id=74

Hmm, I used to eat them with a bit of lemon, but in that place it is 'pancakes with everything'.

It does a lot of other meals not just pancakes.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=17146 time=1582304422 user_id=74
Our town does not have an Chinese restaurant. It has two takeaways though. Where I come from does not have one, but it has a takeaway, or at least it did have. Interestingly the spot where it once was, was once a chippy when I was at school. Most towns have an Indian restaurant though.

Used to surprise me when walking into an out-of-London chippy to find Chinese faces behind the counter — it even happened in N16 some years ago now and it offers fish and chips and some Chinese. But Thai and Vietnamese restaurants are now more plentiful than Chinese round here and may even be outnumbering Indian — both actual and Bangladeshi. I guess the macho Brit palate prefers it hot and doesn't realise some Szechuan dishes will rock their socks off...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17144 time=1582303746 user_id=70
What country do you mean by "this country"? While restaurants from the Indian sub continent now seem to outnumber them in the UK, I doubt there's a town without a Chinese restaurant from one of the regions — and some actually make a feature of the various cuisines...

Our town does not have an Chinese restaurant. It has two takeaways though. Where I come from does not have one, but it has a takeaway, or at least it did have. Interestingly the spot where it once was, was once a chippy when I was at school. Most towns have an Indian restaurant though.

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=17140 time=1582300789 user_id=74
The Chinese rarely have restaurants in this country. I head the takeaways they have were mainly from those of Hong Kong.

What country do you mean by "this country"? While restaurants from the Indian sub continent now seem to outnumber them in the UK, I doubt there's a town without a Chinese restaurant from one of the regions — and some actually make a feature of the various cuisines...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=17113 time=1582279767 user_id=89
In a few weeks I will be eating here, a nearly chip free restaurant:-

Pancakes eh?

Hmm, I used to eat them with a bit of lemon, but in that place it is 'pancakes with everything'.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17119 time=1582289737 user_id=70
Surprised you don't go Chinese — though I guess the noodle, rice and Chinese gooseberry connection to risotto, pasta and kiwi fruit through Marco Polo cannot be denied...

The Chinese rarely have restaurants in this country. I head the takeaways they have were mainly from those of Hong Kong.

T00ts

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=17124 time=1582292811 user_id=70
Do pasties count as "ethnic"...?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=15209 time=1580720367 user_id=89
My wife and I have noticed that with few exceptions pubs all seem to have the same menu these days.

It is chips with everything and burgers, or "ethnic" food.

Anyone got an explanation as to why?

Do pasties count as "ethnic"...?

patman post

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=15833 time=1581186465 user_id=74
We have one decent restaurant in our town which is Italian. They are actually from Sardinia and the family have been running it for some 30 years. It beats all other restaurants in the area, and you get the feeling you are being served by proper Italians. For example, last time I went in there I was with my woman and for 11.70 we got a decent-sized plate of pasta with salmon in a creamy sauce. It was cooked perfectly. They also have a superb range of Italian ice creams as well.

My experience with Italian restaurants is they are always worth a punt. I don't think I've ever eaten in one where you could accuse them of being sloppy.

Surprised you don't go Chinese — though I guess the noodle, rice and Chinese gooseberry connection to risotto, pasta and kiwi fruit through Marco Polo cannot be denied...

papasmurf

In a few weeks I will be eating here, a nearly chip free restaurant:-

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

boggart

I've had 2 pub meals in the past month.....

1st was a quick lunch in a pub rented off a brewer (but not tied). Just wanted a light lunch so chose the beef sandwich with chips. All actually very good. The Mrs & son chose the sandwich & salad option which was equally good, not least as I can take my son's roast beetroot out of his salad and augment my sandwich. Chips were good.

2nd was at a chain, as we thought it was good and easy for my son. Absolutely disgusting, we complained and actually got our food for free. Chips were the only thing that they didn't cock up.

Chips come in a packet and, to me, rely on how fresh the oil is to cook them in.

Vegetables need chopping, cooking and more care. That is unless they are slapped in a microwave.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Borchester post_id=15235 time=1580728850 user_id=62
I have the same problem with Herself. Every time we go out I say, "Look, I am taking my girl out. So pick somewhere decent and let me worry about the bill."

But she still goes into a decline whenever she sees a menu that includes anything more expensive than  4d for chips and mushy peas. Time was when we would go to an Italian place where she had a fine time because she loved the food and I always paid with a tenner. Then she discover that was the tip and that my debit card was underneath...

We have one decent restaurant in our town which is Italian. They are actually from Sardinia and the family have been running it for some 30 years. It beats all other restaurants in the area, and you get the feeling you are being served by proper Italians. For example, last time I went in there I was with my woman and for 11.70 we got a decent-sized plate of pasta with salmon in a creamy sauce. It was cooked perfectly. They also have a superb range of Italian ice creams as well.

My experience with Italian restaurants is they are always worth a punt. I don't think I've ever eaten in one where you could accuse them of being sloppy.

johnofgwent

https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-make-triple-cooked-chips">https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-t ... oked-chips">https://www.greatbritishchefs.com/how-to-cook/how-to-make-triple-cooked-chips

If one is going to do it PROPERLY it most definitely is NOT a ten minute job.

There is a pub called The Gate at Llanfrechfa about mile south of the site of Gwents new Severe Trauma unit.

They do these chips but they accompany a steak to die for, are supplied in a tiny pot and the whole thing costs a fortune. But do you want decent food served in a pub atmosphere or McDonalds with beer ??

The pub I frequent for its beer also does food, it has to be one of the last places on Camra's beer guide that doesnt lay a table until you order food... and their chips approach those of the link above, force meal.a third the cost.

And jacket, mash, cheesy mash and celeriac mash ...

It can be done, it can be found.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>