Autonomous buses in Scotland

Started by Borchester, February 01, 2023, 01:04:16 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 03, 2023, 09:37:02 PM

"In their own investigation of the events that led up to the crash, Tesla reported findings that it was in fact the accelerator that was excessively engaged throughout instead."

Their own investigation inspires me with no confidence at all.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on February 03, 2023, 08:36:40 PM
Tesla have the technology, and is installed in their cars now. The full autonomous package is expensive, maybe 20K, but it will take you from the on ramp of a motorway to the off ramp over any distance and at motorway speeds. So your prediction is way off berm Ducky, it's here and happening right now.
I don't think you read my post properly! I said the technology is becoming mature and I'm pretty up to speed with the developments in the automotive sector. Tesla make production cars that can drive themselves and so do other manufacturers. I remember seeing an experimental self-driving bus 30 or 40 years ago on Tomorrow's World. I think it was Mercedes-Benz and it was "oldskool" in that it used sensors to follow wires buried in the road.

But Tesla cars still require a driver behind the wheel even if they're not touching any of the controls. I don't know if they still have the 'summon' mode where the car can be left to park itself with nobody in it.

What I'm saying is we're not psychologically ready for is autonomous vehicles with nobody in the driving seat or possibly no provision for a driver even, except as slow-speed urban shuttles or in closed controlled environments. The port of Rotterdam uses driverless trucks to move containers - and if I remember right they're diesel powered rather than electric. I'm sure Tesla could already adapt their production cars to operate without a driver and remove all the physical controls, but most people would find such an idea unacceptable on public roads. Maybe one day, but quite a long way off. 

Rotterdam . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRoHV2wxRt8
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on February 03, 2023, 08:50:21 PM
With accidents the result.

Tesla Autopilot Crashes: With at Least a Dozen Dead, "Who's at Fault, Man or Machine?" (impakter.com)

From July 2021 to October 2022, the US Department of Transportation
reported 605 crashes involving vehicles [highlight]equipped with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) – aka autopilot[/highlight] – and 474 of them were Teslas, that's three quarters of the accidents.
Means absolutely nothing.
Every car in the U.K. is equipped with a radio, seats and wing mirrors, are they to blame for the thousands of deaths on the U.K. roads? Your own link states that the crash in China was the drivers fault.

"In their own investigation of the events that led up to the crash, Tesla reported findings that it was in fact the accelerator that was excessively engaged throughout instead."

The driver though he was pressing the break.
I've done over a million miles in a vehicle controlled by autopilot, not one crash.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on February 03, 2023, 08:36:40 PM
Tesla have the technology, and is installed in their cars now. 
With accidents the result.

Tesla Autopilot Crashes: With at Least a Dozen Dead, "Who's at Fault, Man or Machine?" (impakter.com)

From July 2021 to October 2022, the US Department of Transportation 
reported 605 crashes involving vehicles equipped with advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) – aka autopilot – and 474 of them were Teslas, that's three quarters of the accidents. 
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on February 03, 2023, 04:38:44 PM
While self-driving technology is becoming mature now, it will be a long time before real 'driverless' vehicles, i.e. nobody in the driving seat (or indeed no driving seat) are anything other than people-movers travelling a walking pace or vehicles operating in a limited,segregated and optimised environment.
Tesla have the technology, and is installed in their cars now. The full autonomous package is expensive, maybe 20K, but it will take you from the on ramp of a motorway to the off ramp over any distance and at motorway speeds. So your prediction is way off berm Ducky, it's here and happening right now. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

HDQQ

While self-driving technology is becoming mature now, it will be a long time before real 'driverless' vehicles, i.e. nobody in the driving seat (or indeed no driving seat) are anything other than people-movers travelling a walking pace or vehicles operating in a limited,segregated and optimised environment.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!