BBC 'working very hard' to find solution to Lineker row, director general says

Started by SKY News, March 13, 2023, 07:01:49 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 13, 2023, 05:45:25 PM
He was "sacked" for telling an inconvenient to the Tories truth.  I can see you could not be bothered to read the Peter Oborne article I referenced earlier.
A) He can't be sacked because he doesn't work for the BBC, he is a freelancer so he could have his contract terminated.
B) He was suspended from his duties: not sacked.

You have not posted any links in this thread. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on March 13, 2023, 05:45:25 PM
He was "sacked" for telling an inconvenient to the Tories truth.  I can see you could not be bothered to read the Peter Oborne article I referenced earlier.
Where is this Peter Osborne article? 

In the past I've found Osborne a contrarian and manipulator of contexts to arrive at a saleable column.

As far as I can find in the more sane reports of the Lineker affair, he was suspended pending discussions....
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on March 13, 2023, 05:01:50 PM
Are you planning on getting anything right today?
Lineker was not sacked and this thread is not discussing his suspension. It's discussing him being reinstated.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on March 13, 2023, 12:29:36 PM
If that is aimed at me I am discussing the topic. Lineker was sacked for telling the truth, that is totally unacceptable.
Are you planning on getting anything right today?
Lineker was not sacked and this thread is not discussing his suspension. It's discussing him being reinstated. 

patman post

As someone remarked on the radio today after referring to the interview of the BBC's Tim Davie, it's usually the football manager who gets sacked after the team has a torrid time — this time it's likely to be the chairman...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 13, 2023, 12:12:34 PM
You appear to be discussing a whole host of specious grievances instead of the actual topic

Please say when you want to discuss the actual topic, in the meantime I'll ignore your silly ranting
If that is aimed at me I am discussing the topic. Lineker was sacked for telling the truth, that is totally unacceptable.

patman post

Quote from: Nick on March 13, 2023, 09:23:03 AM
Very simple, replace him and his cronies with someone else and save the BBC a few million.
Saving money and giving others a chance are good points.

But doing it now — with so many Tories calling for action against Lineker — just gives extra credibility to the charge that the BBC is under government control...

Unlucky4Sum

You appear to be discussing a whole host of specious grievances instead of the actual topic

Please say when you want to discuss the actual topic, in the meantime I'll ignore your silly ranting

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 13, 2023, 11:24:58 AM
Grow up

It's not difficult to think of a myriad of circumstances where it is wrong to write the truth publicly.  Not that I'd agree that all of Lineker's tweets that led to this was true.

But anyway I see they've agreed a common sense way forward and we should celebrate that.
The Conservatives have spent since May 2010 suppressing critical comment against them. They have stopped charities being critical with the equivalent of gagging orders, they are suppressing the right of protest. They have blacklisted journalists like John Pring, used dirty tricks against people who are critical of them.  On personal level I was threatened with legal action by a DWP contractor. When they were informed just what would be presented to the court if they did I heard no more.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on March 13, 2023, 10:23:24 AM
Sacking anyone for writing the truth makes Britain as bad a Russia, China, and North Korea.
Grow up

It's not difficult to think of a myriad of circumstances where it is wrong to write the truth publicly.  Not that I'd agree that all of Lineker's tweets that led to this was true.

But anyway I see they've agreed a common sense way forward and we should celebrate that.

Unlucky4Sum

Very simple, replace him and his cronies with someone else and save the BBC a few million.
yes they should replace Tim Davie who caused this fuckup.  And take Tory fixer Richard Sharp with him and inappropriate user of twitter Tory Robbie Gibb too

papasmurf

Sacking anyone for writing the truth makes Britain as bad a Russia, China, and North Korea.

Nick

Very simple, replace him and his cronies with someone else and save the BBC a few million. 

SKY News

BBC 'working very hard' to find solution to Lineker row, director general says

The BBC's director general has said bosses are "working very hard" to fix the damage done to the broadcaster following the suspension of Gary Lineker.

Source: BBC 'working very hard' to find solution to Lineker row, director general says