Will Boris survive…

Started by patman post, March 20, 2023, 08:23:45 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 22, 2023, 12:56:39 PM
I think todays Stourmont Brake vote will throw many things into a new light and i do think BoJo will come out smelling of roses
There has to be a Stormont government sitting for that to happen. The DUP has just ruled that out during the debate in the Commons a few minutes ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

I think todays Stourmont Brake vote will throw many things into a new light and i do think BoJo will come out smelling of roses
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 21, 2023, 07:14:54 PM
In 2015 the Conservative+UKIP vote was 64% in 2019 it was 53%

Boris's betrayal over Heathrow was a big part of that reduction but then betrayal is something he tends to do
Johnson seems to be almost an independent these days and if things go bad  today he will be come the next election ,an anti government figure even . Which could be a good move .

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 21, 2023, 04:17:38 PM
It was a new constituancy in 2000 and something so hardly been around long long enough to be classified as anything . It is in greater London which makes it dodgy ground for a former Conservative PM with a shrinking fan base . Labour put an Asian guy up against him last time to collect up the 'postal vote ' but I think he will just about get past the post again though its position means its only a matter of time before its swallowed by Khans Londinistan support
In 2015 the Conservative+UKIP vote was 64% in 2019 it was 53%

Boris's betrayal over Heathrow was a big part of that reduction but then betrayal is something he tends to do

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 21, 2023, 02:25:21 PM
It wasn't a marginal until Boris was MP there
It was a new constituancy in 2000 and something so hardly been around long long enough to be classified as anything . It is in greater London which makes it dodgy ground for a former Conservative PM with a shrinking fan base . Labour put an Asian guy up against him last time to collect up the 'postal vote ' but I think he will just about get past the post again though its position means its only a matter of time before its swallowed by Khans Londinistan support

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 21, 2023, 12:08:14 PM
Thats interesting

Im surprised he's in so marginal a constituency . . .
It wasn't a marginal until Boris was MP there

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 21, 2023, 12:08:14 PM
Thats interesting

Im surprised he's in so marginal a constituency

The unknown quantity is how much influence this has on the next general election:-

Tactical voting | General Election 2024/2025 | tactical.vote

johnofgwent

Thats interesting

Im surprised he's in so marginal a constituency

That said, Ed Davie is on record as saying he's going all out to woo labour which naturally means the only realistic opponent is going to suffer a 1980's style splitting of the anti tory vote.

The 2022 council elections in the ward were interesting but only 30 ofd percent got off their arse to bother voting, and they've got one tory and two labour councillors with barely five votes between 2nd and 3rd place

I see Lord Buckethead made a stand in 2019 but i didn't see Howlin' Lord Hope or maybe i skipped over his result...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on March 21, 2023, 11:27:38 AM
I no longer know which constituency he is the candidate for,
Uxbridge and South Ruislip  2019 general election:- Majority

Electorate
Turnout
68.5%

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on March 21, 2023, 07:36:01 AM
He has just been reselected to stand as MP at the next general election. But those few doing the selection are not the electorate in the constituency.
I no longer know which constituency he is the candidate for, but i cannot see him being rejected in favour of any other, unless they had an 'anti boris tory' standing as an indy...

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 21, 2023, 07:30:21 AM
If the people of his constituancy re elect him Westminster will have to put up with him . I wouldn't like to see a situation where MP's are vetted by Westminster , thats the job of the electorate .
Well ultimately it will be his electorate's choice. If he is found guilty on all fronts, Westminster might reasonably be able to force a byelection. But they cannot stop him from standing in it, nor stop his local party from supporting him if they choose, and they certainly cannot determine the outcome. Democracy will prevail.

Though Boris is unlikely to ever be in the front rank of politics again even if he remains an MP. Unless the Tories are far more stupid than I think they are. Some are of course that stupid, eg Mad Nad, Nadine Dorries. But I think they are only a minority of Tory MPs
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 21, 2023, 07:30:21 AM
If the people of his constituancy re elect him Westminster will have to put up with him . I wouldn't like to see a situation where MP's are vetted by Westminster , thats the job of the electorate .
He has just been reselected to stand as MP at the next general election. But those few doing the selection are not the electorate in the constituency.

Streetwalker

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: patman post on March 20, 2023, 08:23:45 PM
Unfortunately, probably Yes.

The guy appears to actually believe that he lives in the imaginary world run by his own rules.

If he can get his stormtroopers to browbeat those sitting in judgement — which seems possible — it looks like Boris Johnson will be with us for a while yet.

Perhaps the next one on trial should be Blair...
His defence appears to be 'I can't have been a liar because I'm too stupid to see what was obvious even to Larry the cat'

That will fool a lot of Tories and some anti Sunak Tory MPs will vote against any suspension for Boris just because they think lying in public office is all fair if a Tory does it.  Hopefully a multi party majority in the house ensure he has to fight a by election in Uxbridge and is roundly voted out of office.   We really do not need the all time champion git of UK politicians in parliament. 

srb7677

Quote from: patman post on March 20, 2023, 08:23:45 PM
Unfortunately, probably Yes.

The guy appears to actually believe that he lives in the imaginary world run by his own rules.

If he can get his stormtroopers to browbeat those sitting in judgement — which seems possible — it looks like Boris Johnson will be with us for a while yet.

Perhaps the next one should be Blair...
I think that much like Blair before him he has become tainted in the eyes of too many of the electorate.

Like Blair he will still command an audience amongst certain elements, but I think his days at the pinnacle of power are over for good.

But time will tell.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.