Inflation in surprise jump to 10.4% in February

Started by papasmurf, March 22, 2023, 07:34:31 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: srb7677 on March 22, 2023, 11:32:50 PM
As someone who not just buys food but works in an outlet that sells loads of it, I have noticed some astronomical price increases. Cooking oil has doubled in price. A sealed packet of fresh smoked haddock has increased from £3.90 to £5.60. Bottled flavoured carbonated water has increased from 45p to 60p. A large box of Felix cat food has increased from £10 to £13. I could go on. And all this in less than a year.

The poorest of course spend much higher proportions of their incomes on food out of necessity and are thus being hit far harder by this than the typical MP, who is able to in any case pass much of their own food costs onto us as expenses.
I dont think anyone has failed to notice price increases and their weekly shop getting a lot dearer ,just not the 100% being reported .
Ive actually just done an online shop , olive oil down (£6 -£4.50) Haddock £4.50 kg (as opposed to smoked haddock £20kg)
And so on ,just need to be a bit flexable though even with a few bargins it is still noticable , I look at some item and think 'Im not paying that ' 

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 22, 2023, 11:47:52 PM
BBC has an online 'how much are prices rising for you' calculator.  Lets see if anyone can create a profile that actually ends up showing their prices have doubled.  Bet they can't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817
No-one has stated ALL prices have doubled, but year on years a significant number have. Exacerbated by own brands and budget lines becoming like rocking horse poo and Unicorns. Then there is supply and empty shelves. (Which is going get worse over the next few months especially fruit and veg.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: srb7677 on March 22, 2023, 11:32:50 PM
As someone who not just buys food but works in an outlet that sells loads of it, I have noticed some astronomical price increases. Cooking oil has doubled in price. A sealed packet of fresh smoked haddock has increased from £3.90 to £5.60. Bottled flavoured carbonated water has increased from 45p to 60p. A large box of Felix cat food has increased from £10 to £13. I could go on. And all this in less than a year.

The poorest of course spend much higher proportions of their incomes on food out of necessity and are thus being hit far harder by this than the typical MP, who is able to in any case pass much of their own food costs onto us as expenses.
BBC has an online 'how much are prices rising for you' calculator.  Lets see if anyone can create a profile that actually ends up showing their prices have doubled.  Bet they can't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62558817 

srb7677

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 22, 2023, 10:25:55 AM
They probably dont buy value items and shop brands which are almost entirely whats been used for the 100% figure . For sure the weekly shop has gone up but not by that much .

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borchester on March 22, 2023, 10:35:54 PM
That is ok.

I grow most of our own vegetables, I haven't bought any new cloths in I don't know when and to be honest, I always expect to screwed when I buy wine in a restaurant. So this inflation is unlikely to effect me. The remainer filth will bitch, but the way I see it they should have been deported straight after the referendum and sent to live in their beloved EU, so who gives a toss what the BBC tells them to think?
Chewed through the straps again Borky Boy?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 07:34:31 AM
So much for inflation dropping:-

Inflation in surprise jump to 10.4% in February - BBC News

9 minutes ago

The cost of living unexpectedly increased last month after three consecutive months of easing, driven by dining out and food price rises.
Inflation, which measures the increase in the price of something over time, jumped to 10.4% in the year to February from 10.1% in January.
Food costs rose at their fastest rate for 45 years with higher costs for some salads and vegetables in particular.
The prices rises come after shortages were seen in supermarkets.
Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers were among certain vegetables that were in scarce supply, largely because of extreme weather affecting harvests in Spain and North Africa.
Shortages were also compounded by high energy prices impacting UK growers, as well as issues with supply chains.

That is ok.

I grow most of our own vegetables, I haven't bought any new cloths in I don't know when and to be honest, I always expect to screwed when I buy wine in a restaurant. So this inflation is unlikely to effect me. The remainer filth will bitch, but the way I see it they should have been deported straight after the referendum and sent to live in their beloved EU, so who gives a toss what the BBC tells them to think?
Algerie Francais !

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 07:42:25 PM
The links  if you read it and what I wrote with it does back up what I stated. It is not my fault you can't read properly.
Well on then post the actual words in one of those links that you say back your supposition - if you don't we'll all know you're a fraud.  

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 22, 2023, 04:54:19 PM
Not only is my television not broken, unlike you my brain isn't either.  You posted a link that doesn't back your assertion and you have the damn cheek to accuse others of cognitive dissonance
The links  if you read it and what I wrote with it does back up what I stated. It is not my fault you can't read properly.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 11:26:09 AM
Mate you are getting well past my not having a battle of wits with and unarmed person limit. Is your television broken as well? I also linked to a reference.
Not only is my television not broken, unlike you my brain isn't either.  You posted a link that doesn't back your assertion and you have the damn cheek to accuse others of cognitive dissonance

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 22, 2023, 10:55:26 AMPapasmurf is posting made up rubbish because he either did not read or could not understand the word 'some' in his link:

Mate you are getting well past my not having a battle of wits with and unarmed person limit. Is your television broken as well? I also linked to a reference.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on March 22, 2023, 10:40:01 AM
That would fit with own brands seeing the highest rises Read Papas link from Shares magazine
Doesn't back your actual assertion but I suggest we're both on the same page here.  Papasmurf is posting made up rubbish because he either did not read or could not understand the word 'some' in his link:

'The cost of some everyday UK groceries has more than doubled over the last year'

The RPI etc use a so called basket of purchases incl branded and own brand items and of course petrol that has gone down in price over the last year.   10% + is deeply worrying but people posting false stories about '100%' do their actual cause no good at all because it leads many people to believe all claims of concerns are made up poo.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 10:31:48 AM
It has gone up that much for poor people.
That would fit with own brands seeing the highest rises 
Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on March 22, 2023, 10:31:17 AM
Evidence please to back that
Read Papas link from Shares magazine 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on March 22, 2023, 10:31:48 AM
No it has not

It's slightly higher but nothing like that absurd piece of wild exaggeration by you.  Can I suggest you try living in the real world for a change.

https://www.resolutionfoundation.org/press-releases/cost-of-living-gap-between-rich-and-poor-hits-fresh-high-as-effective-inflation-rate-for-low-income-households-hits-12-5-per-cent/

papasmurf

They probably dont buy value items and shop brands which are almost entirely whats been used for the 100% figure . For sure the weekly shop has gone up but not by that much .

Unlucky4Sum

Evidence please to back that