Bring Back Boris?

Started by patman post, May 05, 2023, 12:24:03 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on May 22, 2023, 01:26:43 PM
They might have a point, but to my way of thinking sovereignty is not for sale and I would rather be poor and ragged than a slave to the EU.
Thats the spirit Borky Union Flag  Never wear your best clobber when watching other people working

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on May 18, 2023, 11:06:02 AM
How many do you want?

"A vote to leave would represent an immediate and profound shock to our economy. That shock would push our economy into a recession" – George Osborne, May 2016

"So my judgement, as home secretary, is that remaining a member of the European Union means we will be more secure from crime and terrorism." – Theresa May, April 2016

They might have a point, but to my way of thinking sovereignty is not for sale and I would rather be poor and ragged than a slave to the EU.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2023, 01:12:50 PM
You've changed your story once again: first it was propaganda, now it's only outside turned away. None of which you will ever prove cause you're like an Eel and will just go and hide when pressed.
No I have not Nick. The data has yet to be collated. I edited my last to add:-

Post poll statement – May 2023 | Electoral Commission

• The Commission expects to publish its initial analysis of the implementation of voter ID in June, subject to data being available.
  • In September, we will publish our full report on the May 2023 elections. This report will feature further data, including the reasons people were turned away, as well as turnout, postal voting and rejected ballots. It will also provide analysis of other aspects of the elections, including accessibility support that was provided for voters in polling stations.
  • The requirement to show photo ID at polling stations was introduced by the UK Government's Elections Act and the detail set out in secondary legislation which was passed in December 2022.
  • In January, the Commission launched an integrated communications campaign to raise awareness of the voter ID requirement. The campaign saw a significant increase in public awareness, rising from 22% of people being aware of the ID requirement in December to 87% in the week before the polls.
  • The Commission provided guidance and support to electoral administrators to support them with preparing for and delivering the polls. This included our polling station handbook, which contains guidance on the new processes for checking voter ID.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2023, 01:08:07 PM
Nick, the number quoted as being refused are those from INSIDE polling stations. It does not include those who were turned away OUTSIDE polling stations. The latter is what is being collated and a report prepared.
You've changed your story once again: first it was propaganda, now it's only outside turned away. None of which you will ever prove cause you're like an Eel and will just go and hide when pressed. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2023, 01:05:43 PM
They haven't collated the data yet but you know how many were affected? You make it up as you go along. A report from the BBC based on official council data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65602231.amp
Nick, the number quoted as being refused are those from INSIDE polling stations. It does not include those who were turned away OUTSIDE polling stations. The latter is what is being collated and a report prepared.

Post poll statement – May 2023 | Electoral Commission

• The Commission expects to publish its initial analysis of the implementation of voter ID in June, subject to data being available.
  • In September, we will publish our full report on the May 2023 elections. This report will feature further data, including the reasons people were turned away, as well as turnout, postal voting and rejected ballots. It will also provide analysis of other aspects of the elections, including accessibility support that was provided for voters in polling stations.
  • The requirement to show photo ID at polling stations was introduced by the UK Government's Elections Act and the detail set out in secondary legislation which was passed in December 2022.
  • In January, the Commission launched an integrated communications campaign to raise awareness of the voter ID requirement. The campaign saw a significant increase in public awareness, rising from 22% of people being aware of the ID requirement in December to 87% in the week before the polls.
  • The Commission provided guidance and support to electoral administrators to support them with preparing for and delivering the polls. This included our polling station handbook, which contains guidance on the new processes for checking voter ID.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2023, 09:47:18 AM
Nick, its is NOT bollocks, the data has not been collated yet. You have swallowed the "official" propaganda.
They haven't collated the data yet but you know how many were affected? You make it up as you go along. A report from the BBC based on official council data.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-65602231.amp

One guy knew about the rules but forgot his ID, one guy was incensed when he couldn't use his NHS badge and another woman couldn't vote because she was worried about taking her mask off, clearly a bogus voter so job done in my opinion. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 22, 2023, 11:25:36 AM
Did you actually read any of it?

That 2011 Act was put in place precisely because of those stories about Brown and Lisbon (that really is another discussion)

Any minister then allowing any expansion of EU powers would have been committing a very visible, well evidenced and very clear criminal offence.  And you suppose that they would just go and do that?

Please get real.
As I said ,the EU had all the power it wanted (for now) with no further treaties needed . The 2011 act was just a diversion ,the damage had already been done .

Thankfully repaired by Brexit which is the reality ,not continually going over old ground looking for an excuse as to why you were on the losing side of the debate 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Scott777 on May 22, 2023, 10:22:14 AM
Which part and section, please?
Why not read it?  

Section 4 lists the areas that would require the referendum that sections 2.1c and 3.1c require.

It was an absolute block on all those increases in EU powers that Vote Leave and others so dishonestly projected years later as real and present dangers.

In a sad irony your Leave government repealed it (crucially with 2017 General Election authority) as they saw it could technically be used to require a further referendum to confirm us leaving.

A summary of the Act is on Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_Act_2011

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 22, 2023, 10:31:56 AM
LOL I wouldn't trust that lot as far as I could spit . The horse had already bolted from the stable in 2008 when Gordon Brown committed the biggest act of political betrayal in modern history when he signed the Lisbon Treaty against the wishes of the people , many of his own his own backbenchers and the opposition . Not to mention the promise of holding one in latest Labour manifesto.

And you think we should trust them ?  Increase of EU powers has a history of being denied by our governments (various colours)  Its just a trade deal , a tidying up excercise , nothing has changed , we have a veto ect ect .

Lisbon was a blueprint the final draft for the European superstate that meant they had all the power they needed ,2011 was 3 years too late .
Did you actually read any of it?

That 2011 Act was put in place precisely because of those stories about Brown and Lisbon (that really is another discussion)

Any minister then allowing any expansion of EU powers would have been committing a very visible, well evidenced and very clear criminal offence.  And you suppose that they would just go and do that?

Please get real.

papasmurf

Quote from: Scott777 on May 22, 2023, 10:38:56 AM
Labour made no attempt to defend the rights of protesters against lockdown, so it's disingenuous to just blame the Tories.  As a general rule, all politicians are happy to take away rights when it suits them, and pretend we can have them back by consenting to European or EU Laws.  This seems oddly similar to a protection racket, to persuade people to hand powers over to a European superstate, and ultimately a one world government.
Frankly in my opinion there no longer is a Labour opposition.

Scott777

Quote from: papasmurf on May 22, 2023, 08:13:55 AM
Given Britain was the main instigator of the ECHR personally the more nasty Tories wish to take away all human rights from British Citizens. They already have attacked the right to strike and the right to protest, and made it difficult for millions of people to vote.

Labour made no attempt to defend the rights of protesters against lockdown, so it's disingenuous to just blame the Tories.  As a general rule, all politicians are happy to take away rights when it suits them, and pretend we can have them back by consenting to European or EU Laws.  This seems oddly similar to a protection racket, to persuade people to hand powers over to a European superstate, and ultimately a one world government.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on May 21, 2023, 08:15:05 PM
As of June 2016 (actually after 2011) any UK minister not vetoing any increase in EU powers without first getting a specific referendum approval first would have been committing an imprisonable criminal offence.

This would have been a pretty good reason to trust that they would use it
LOL I wouldn't trust that lot as far as I could spit . The horse had already bolted from the stable in 2008 when Gordon Brown committed the biggest act of political betrayal in modern history when he signed the Lisbon Treaty against the wishes of the people , many of his own his own backbenchers and the opposition . Not to mention the promise of holding one in latest Labour manifesto. 

And you think we should trust them ?   Increase of EU powers has a history of being denied by our governments (various colours)  Its just a trade deal , a tidying up excercise , nothing has changed , we have a veto ect ect . 

Lisbon was a blueprint the final draft for the European superstate that meant they had all the power they needed ,2011 was 3 years too late .

Scott777

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on May 22, 2023, 07:09:13 AM
As for your quote, I would argue the brexiters are the ones supporting to give up essential liberty (human rights protections) for the temporary "safety" of blaming their problems of foreigners.

You didn't say which human rights protections it is that Brexiters want to give up, or that Brexit has removed.
Those princes who have done great things have held good faith of little account, and have known how to craftily circumvent the intellect of men.  Niccolò Machiavelli.

Scott777

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on May 22, 2023, 08:58:34 AM
Your millions of voters is utter bollox as usual. 16,000 failed to have the correct paperwork and 6,500 returned to the station and did vote. Leaving 9,500 that couldn't be arsed to return with ID.
Nick, its is NOT bollocks, the data has not been collated yet. You have swallowed the "official" propaganda.