Still waiting for those benefits.

Started by BeElBeeBub, June 07, 2023, 06:10:14 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 08, 2023, 09:01:16 PM
Yes your 'Not much point in quoting me when your reply is irrelevant to what I posted.' was.

So why not just admit that you fully understood the point and its relevance but really didn't like that the USA favouring the EU for trade deals showed your assertion to be at least 'questionable'
Best ignored, I think. 
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on June 09, 2023, 06:06:38 AM
The benefits!!

The benefit is that the UK is not in a recession, 
Try telling that to the increasing number of people in work and in poverty.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 07, 2023, 06:10:14 PM
"For a while now, that has not been a priority for either the US or UK.

What we're both focused on is making sure that our economic partnership reflects the particular challenges and opportunities of the time that we're in right now. And that is the conversation that I will be having with President Biden."

Asked if the pledge to reach a rapid deal – as repeatedly made by various Conservative ministers and prime ministers before and after the Brexit referendum – had been unrealistic, Sunak said:

"Since I've been prime minister, we've been focused, as have the US, on making sure that our economic partnership reflects the opportunities and challenges of the time that we face now"

Looks.like that golden prize of brexit, the one that was supposed to (but never would) make up for making trade with our biggest partner block harder isn't actually likely.......

<SHOCKED FACE>
The benefits!!

The benefit is that the UK is not in a recession, after the REAL figures have come in from the EU, it turns out that the whole of the EU is in recession. The UK gives true figures out and everybody and their dog says we are heading for recession, the EU lies through it's teeth and has rave reviews. Well, read it and weep.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/euro-zone-enters-recession-after-germany-ireland-growth-revision.html
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 08, 2023, 07:31:22 PM
Why do you think Canada and India are also pushing for more concessions along the lines that Australia and New Zealand insisted on getting during the two plus years from 2020 before agreeing to finalise their "oven-ready" deals — free movement is still to be finalised, I think.

It's all been covered — and you left my reference to NZ, which the UK did a bit to help to lessen the blow for during its entry talks with the EEC...
Oz and NZ got better deals as an apology for the way they were treated when we dropped them for the EEC. India had just got rid of us after we tore the country apart, not sure we ever had a meaningful deal with them.

As for oven ready deals, unfortunately for you the numbers show that we are doing better than both pre-pandemic and pre-Brexit levels.

Using 2019 as the marker, total exports are up by 15% and imports 19%. Seeing as we are constantly told that EU trade is down, we must reconnected with the rest of the World as we Brexiteers predicted. We would be absolutely flying is it weren't for Covid and Putin.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on June 08, 2023, 08:58:38 PM
Before anyone shouts about "we got a trade deal! See!"

Here's the source text of the "Atlantic declaration", straight from the horse's mouth.

Whilst welcome, it's long on aspiration and short on substance.

Lots of "we will convene a council to advise on how we might...." And so forth.

It boils down to "have your people call.my people to set a date we can talk about when we can talk about se things"

I predict this will be described as full blown trade deal by certain outlets and commentators.
Exactly

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-atlantic-declaration/the-atlantic-declaration 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on June 08, 2023, 08:16:31 PM
Rude and overbearing.
Yes your 'Not much point in quoting me when your reply is irrelevant to what I posted.' was.

So why not just admit that you fully understood the point and its relevance but really didn't like that the USA favouring the EU for trade deals showed your assertion to be at least 'questionable'

BeElBeeBub

Before anyone shouts about "we got a trade deal! See!"

Here's the source text of the "Atlantic declaration", straight from the horse's mouth.

Whilst welcome, it's long on aspiration and short on substance.

Lots of "we will convene a council to advise on how we might...." And so forth.

It boils down to "have your people call.my people to set a date we can talk about when we can talk about se things"

I predict this will be described as full blown trade deal by certain outlets and commentators.

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 07, 2023, 10:58:50 PM
Do you need its relevance explained in pigeon English then?
Rude and overbearing. 
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Nick on June 08, 2023, 11:24:27 AM
Any facts to back that up?
Why do you think Canada and India are also pushing for more concessions along the lines that Australia and New Zealand insisted on getting during the two plus years from 2020 before agreeing to finalise their "oven-ready" deals — free movement is still to be finalised, I think.

It's all been covered — and you left my reference to NZ, which the UK did a bit to help to lessen the blow for during its entry talks with the EEC...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on June 08, 2023, 10:30:57 AM
and the major potential Commonwealth counties we're supposedly wooing are wary after the cavalier way the UK dumped them
Any facts to back that up?

patman post

Despite claims of the UK outperforming EU and G7 countries, we're seldom given the full and relevant picture. For instance, growth — yes the UK's growth is more rapid than others, but it started from a lower base and has yet to reach its own 2019 performance. This puts it behind so many of those countries on so many of the parameters being compared with.

Some years ago, when the US was moving towards a North American Free Trade Area, there was a suggestion that the UK and parts of Northern Europe could try to become part of a North Atlantic Free Trade Area. 

UK membership of both the EU and Nafta is no longer acceptable to either body — and the major potential Commonwealth counties we're supposedly wooing are wary after the cavalier way the UK dumped them (with the possible exception of NZ) when it joined the ECC. The Australia deal offers that country a bigger market, but it's difficult to see much direct benefit for UK companies.

It's certain that things will improve over time — but it looks like decades before the UK will reach the level it might have expected to reach earlier had it remained part of the EU...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

"For a while now, that has not been a priority for either the US or UK.
No it hasn't , we get on just fine as we have done since 1783 bar a few months in 1812 when they mistook Canada as easy pickings .
We have common ideals ,language and simlar rule of law . Trade stands at $275 billion per annum ,two way direct investment at $1.3 trillion  .
Over a Million Americans work for UK companies ,same for Brits working for Americans 
There has never really been a rush for a trade deal , the Americans would protect the areas that currently have high tariffs anyway , we wouldn't see much change on the other low tariff stuff anyway .

And we dont have a political union with them though to be fair that was their decision more than ours 
Looks.like that golden prize of brexit, the one that was supposed to (but never would) make up for making trade with our biggest partner block harder isn't actually likely.......

<SHOCKED FACE>
You made that up . The Golden prize of Brexit was the divorce from the EU and the future without the drag anchor of Europe 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Barry on June 07, 2023, 07:59:59 PM
Not much point in quoting me when your reply is irrelevant to what I posted. I have nothing to add.
Do you need its relevance explained in pigeon English then?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry on June 07, 2023, 07:12:06 PM
The EU do not have a trade deal with the USA either.
The UK may get a trade deal in the future, which could be better tailored to our own requirements than any mythical EU/USA deal.
True, but I don't recall "the EU not getting a trade deal with the US" as a brexit benefit.

And yes, the UK could strike a deal with the US in future. I wonder if it will be as well tailored to the UK as our deal with NZ or Australia....

QuoteIn his Commons speech, Mr Eustice - who is from a family of farmers - told MPs: "Overall, the truth of the matter is that the UK gave away far too much for far too little in return.
"We did not actually need to give Australia nor New Zealand full liberalisation of beef and sheep. It was not in our economic interests to do so. And neither Australia nor New Zealand had anything to offer in return for such a grand concession.

Barry

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on June 07, 2023, 07:27:29 PM
Which got the penalty tariffs on steel removed first, the EU or UK

Clue:  it rhymes with see you.
Not much point in quoting me when your reply is irrelevant to what I posted. I have nothing to add.
† The end is nigh †