The UK economy appears to be on the up

Started by Borchester, July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on July 14, 2023, 11:55:17 AM
When we bought the Rural Ruin, we discovered that the wiring was so old that it was plain lead. We mentioned this to the vendor who said dear oh dear, tell you what, I will knock a grand off the price. When we mused that £1000 would not cover the cost of rewiring he asked if we wanted to buy the house or not.

We eventually settled on £1,500.

It seems to me that some folk worry about the regulations and the rest live in the real world.

I reckon that between John Guest and Youtube I can plumb in a shower. The only problem is the electrics, which is simple enough, but my arthritis means that I can't bend those mega thick cables, which I shall leave as a job for my lad.:)
Fitting a new power shower is a doddle, and as I said the only pitfall is having a breaker that is rated higher than the cable, the cable then becomes the fuse. But Smurf has already said the cable is rated high enough, even though he knows sod all about it, otherwise he's so the job himself. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 14, 2023, 12:31:04 PM
Pappy, I should ask,

(a) how do you know that this chap is actually qualified
I have already checked that on three different registers.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 12:06:21 PM
Borchester, it requires a "competent person," which is not a Destroy-It-Yourselfer, with no related qualifications.
Being left with a home that is a smoking ruin that the insurance will not pay out on is not  a risk I am willing to take.
The insurance companies will only accept certificated work.

I now have a certificated plumber/electrician coming on Monday morning to check the wiring for compliance and then fit the shower and 40 amp "trip."

Pappy, I should ask,

(a) how do you know that this chap is actually qualified

(b) are the qualifications his?

But I won't. You are a born worryguts and I am awash with good news today, so I will do the decent thing and leave you be.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 14, 2023, 11:55:17 AM

I reckon that between John Guest and Youtube I can plumb in a shower. The only problem is the electrics, which is simple enough, but my arthritis means that I can't bend those mega thick cables, which I shall leave as a job for my lad.:)
Borchester, it requires a "competent person," which is not a Destroy-It-Yourselfer, with no related qualifications.
Being left with a home that is a smoking ruin that the insurance will not pay out on is not  a risk I am willing to take.
The insurance companies will only accept certificated work.

I now have a certificated plumber/electrician coming on Monday morning to check the wiring for compliance and then fit the shower and 40 amp "trip."

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 11:34:48 AM
The BSI website says exactly the same, that BS is just guidelines.

When we bought the Rural Ruin, we discovered that the wiring was so old that it was plain lead. We mentioned this to the vendor who said dear oh dear, tell you what, I will knock a grand off the price. When we mused that £1000 would not cover the cost of rewiring he asked if we wanted to buy the house or not.

We eventually settled on £1,500.

It seems to me that some folk worry about the regulations and the rest live in the real world.

Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 11:23:31 AM
Nick try telling that to your insurance company and the shower manufacturer. I suggest you read ALL of that link. (It is NOT an official regulations website.) "Competent Person," in whose judgement?  The installation will need certification.
I have a competent registered certification person coming to check on Monday.
I have known far to many "feather plucker" "know it alls" fall badly foul of "Destroy-It-Yourself" when a disaster happened.
The BSI website says exactly the same, that BS is just guidelines. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 10:59:34 AM
What a load of crap.

British Standards are voluntary and not a legal requirement,

Nick try telling that to your insurance company and the shower manufacturer. I suggest you read ALL of that link. (It is NOT an official regulations website.) "Competent Person," in whose judgement?  The installation will need certification.
I have a competent registered certification person coming to check on Monday.
I have known far to many "feather plucker" "know it alls" fall badly foul of "Destroy-It-Yourself" when a disaster happened.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 09:49:05 AM
Nick again you know eff all about a subject, the regulations have been in force for years. It does void the warranty  Can only be fitted by a certificated person or in voids you house insurance. (It require a minimum of a Part P certified plumber who can safely complete the shower installation ensuring all wiring is in the correct places. Replacing an electric shower still requires plumbing and electrical experience, as your new shower may have higher wattage.
All showers requiring an electrical connection must be installed by a qualified person, following the lates revision of BS761.
What a load of crap. 

British Standards are voluntary and not a legal requirement,

https://www.showerinstallations.co.uk/who-can-replace-electric-showers#:~:text=Who%20can%20legally%20replace%20your,shower%20%2D%20This%20is%20not%20true%20!

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 10:10:03 AM
Compliant for the job. Wiring ungraded and replaced after full electrical inspection and check when old fuse box was replaced with a "trips" box with 10 "trip" capacity.
So you don't know then. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 09:40:20 AM
So what, what size T&E do you have?
Compliant for the job. Wiring ungraded and replaced after full electrical inspection and check when old fuse box was replaced with a "trips" box with 10 "trip" capacity.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 09:37:33 AM
Absolute bollocks, there is no law stopping anyone from fitting their own shower, and it it certainly doesn't void the warranty.
Nick again you know eff all about a subject, the regulations have been in force for years. It does void the warranty  Can only be fitted by a certificated person or in voids you house insurance. (It require a minimum of a Part P certified plumber who can safely complete the shower installation ensuring all wiring is in the correct places. Replacing an electric shower still requires plumbing and electrical experience, as your new shower may have higher wattage.
All showers requiring an electrical connection must be installed by a qualified person, following the lates revision of BS761.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 09:38:02 AM
Nick I already have the required 40amp trip, to replace the current 30 amp trip, in the "box" of trips on the wall, which is rated the 80amps as it required by the shower unit specs.
So what, what size T&E do you have?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 14, 2023, 09:24:59 AM
You can't just change a breaker, you need to know what size T&E you have.
Nick I already have the required 40amp trip, to replace the current 30 amp trip, in the "box" of trips on the wall, which is rated the 80amps as it required by the shower unit specs.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 08:29:52 AM
There is, the plumbing of the shower unit must be done by a certificated plumber, that has been legal requirement for a long time now. (If I did it myself that would void the guarantee on the shower unit.)
Absolute bollocks, there is no law stopping anyone from fitting their own shower, and it it certainly doesn't void the warranty. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 14, 2023, 08:26:53 AM
I agree. I am having difficulty finding a certificated person to do the work I need doing because all the competent trust worthy people locally  are busy. It would take me about 1/2 an hour to do what is needed myself BUT that would void my house insurance.
Your not offering enough incentive