The UK economy appears to be on the up

Started by Borchester, July 13, 2023, 01:03:19 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 16, 2023, 10:55:53 AM
I would have thought a single word description would be adequate...
That was an MPs description during a debate in the House of Commons.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 16, 2023, 07:38:51 AM
No, I have been termed one of the sinister vexatious minority.
I would have thought a single word description would be adequate...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 16, 2023, 06:52:50 AM
Was that under the terms of your release ?

;)
No, I have been termed one of the sinister vexatious minority. 

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 07:28:28 PM
They have been watching/monitoring me since about 1970.
Was that under the terms of your release ? 

;)

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 15, 2023, 07:38:38 PM
Can I pay for that?
If you can afford a hitman at todays prices you must be richer than I thought.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 09:44:12 AM
As a Smart meter will be fitted over my dead body, the situation does not arise.
Can I pay for that? 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 15, 2023, 07:24:29 PM
They're watching you Woohoo
They have been watching/monitoring me since about 1970.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 02:38:54 PM
Yesterday I mentioned Swarfega in a personal message to a friend, and with minutes an advertisement for Swarfega appeared.
They're watching you Woohoo

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 15, 2023, 02:33:19 PM
Just had an email from Rated People — spooky or what...?
Yesterday I mentioned Swarfega in a personal message to a friend, and with minutes an advertisement for Swarfega appeared.

patman post

Just had an email from Rated People — spooky or what...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 15, 2023, 01:41:52 PM

• If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak, you should call the National Gas Emergency number - 0800 111 999. It's free.
  • An emergency gas engineer will be sent, free of charge, to 'make safe' your property — though they won't repair appliances or pipework, that's something you'll need to arrange and pay for yourself...
It was getting a leak test certificate what was the problem. If I smell gas I just go outside and turn the valve of on the gas cylinder.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 12:59:19 PM
(snipped)
It took ages to find a gas fitter to get a gas leak check. He was the first one who actually carried out a leak test with a meter. 50/50 water/washing up liquid as a leak test is not compliant with getting a gas safety certificate.
  • If you smell gas or suspect a gas leak, you should call the National Gas Emergency number - 0800 111 999. It's free.
  • An emergency gas engineer will be sent, free of charge, to 'make safe' your property — though they won't repair appliances or pipework, that's something you'll need to arrange and pay for yourself...

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 15, 2023, 12:59:19 PM
I have several times tried Checktrade and TrustAtrader, with zero response to finding a local tradesperson. My enquiries are clear and detailed.
Finding a local tradesperson who does not wear a Stetson hat and cowboy boots is difficult. It took ages to find a gas fitter to get a gas leak check. He was the first one who actually carried out a leak test with a meter. 50/50 water/washing up liquid as a leak test is not compliant with getting a gas safety certificate.

Dunno about that.

Running a match along the pipe is just as safe and a lot more efficient than a gas meter.

The trouble with you pappy, is that you have never met a rule or regulation that you have disliked

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 15, 2023, 11:51:50 AM

I suspect Smurf just likes to complain as posting a clear enquiry takes little effort. Never used it, but there's also TrustATrader...

I have several times tried Checktrade and TrustAtrader, with zero response to finding a local tradesperson. My enquiries are clear and detailed. 
Finding a local tradesperson who does not wear a Stetson hat and cowboy boots is difficult. It took ages to find a gas fitter to get a gas leak check. He was the first one who actually carried out a leak test with a meter. 50/50 water/washing up liquid as a leak test is not compliant with getting a gas safety certificate.

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 14, 2023, 06:56:26 AM
As you have mentioned it a couple of times now Posty I  would counter that 'Checkatrade' is nothing more than a yet another agency that feeds off tradespeople  and allows lets say not so well qualified people to rise up the ranks with little more than 'he was lovely man ' as a recommendation .
Going through checkatrade or others like Guild of master craftsmen  doesnt gaurentee anything  other than **certification has been checked , something any bonafied tradesman would be happy to do anyway . To my knowledge and from people I know tradesmen registering on checkatrade and simlar schemes are those who have been unable to find work within their given trade through the normal contacts and reccomendations that have served tradesmen well for hundreds of years . There is not even the guarentee that the person that has been 'checked' will be the one who turns up on your doorstep .

**The rise of such agencies coincided with the the importation of cheap labour from eastern Europe NVQ2 trade accreditation were given out like confetti with representatives from 'building schools' visiting sites and basically completeing the course (a box ticking excercise ) in a an hour or so  on the say so of the foreman on site as to the individuals suitability and competence levels .

In truth you are more  likely to find a decent tradesman with a reccomendation down the pub where people actually know each other than from some  agency whos only reason to exist is to feed off tradesmen who cant find work  with registration fees .
Checkatrade was started with the best of intentions to weed out cowboy builders but has in effect as it has grown become a badge for them to hide behind .
But Checkatrade does get relevant trades replying to one post on the site. We've been completely satisfied with the three times we needed to quickly find someone to do the job. The one disaster came from a personal recommendation when we needed an old building completely repointing — work was intermittent, scaffolding was up for over a year, and supposed steel strengthening was never done.

We've now found a couple of companies (through Checkatrade) we tend to use — they might send a team or just one tradesperson.

I suspect Smurf just likes to complain as posting a clear enquiry takes little effort. Never used it, but there's also TrustATrader...