Konstantin Kisin on woke culture and Climate Change

Started by Borchester, July 14, 2023, 03:12:24 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on July 21, 2023, 12:24:38 PM

Konstantin Kisin's main point appears to be that parents want a better life for their children while the Climate Change industry wants to glue itself to the M1 and gain 5 minutes on News At Ten.

From its rise to fall the Roman Empire lasted 2,000 years. I doubt that its decline was caused by a shortage of polar bears
As a parent, I want a better life for my kids. I see the disruption caused by climate change as a threat to that.

The decline was caused (in part) by food shortages caused by desertification of a primary agricultural region,, that we now know as the Sahara and pressure from northern tribes moving south due to colder climates I  their homelands.

And a word about the "climate change industry". This is the idea that climate change is a hoax driven by scientists and companies making money from it.

"You only get grants and a career in science if you toe the climate change line". Has anyone pointed out that you get a far more lucrative career being on the "climate hoax" side than just a regular Joe scientist, sampling ice cores, building models etc?. How.much do you think a researcher in earth sciences gets paid?  How much do you think the various "climate change is a hoax" lot get paid to turn up on GB News, FOX etc?  Shall we find out?

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 21, 2023, 09:26:19 AM
Yeah, i've watched that video and like the KK video, I think it has some shortcomings.

There isn't a CO2 shortage. There is plenty of CO2. There is more CO2 than at any time in human history. Yes CO2 levels a have been higher in the past as has average temperatures, but we are taking about the climate *change*. The area that was once the prosperous "breadbasket of the Roman empire" is now the Sahara desert.

In fact the change in climate (colder norther Europe, desertification of North African agricultural heartlands) was a factor in the fall of the Roman empire, both directly (loss of food production) and indirectly (conflict with displaced tribes moving south).

Does that sound familiar? KK and his "on noes! The decline of western civilisation because of woke cancel culture and trans peeps!!" is ignoring the major threat climate change represents

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 21, 2023, 09:26:19 AM
Yeah, i've watched that video and like the KK video, I think it has some shortcomings.

There isn't a CO2 shortage. There is plenty of CO2. There is more CO2 than at any time in human history. Yes CO2 levels a have been higher in the past as has average temperatures, but we are taking about the climate *change*. The area that was once the prosperous "breadbasket of the Roman empire" is now the Sahara desert.

In fact the change in climate (colder norther Europe, desertification of North African agricultural heartlands) was a factor in the fall of the Roman empire, both directly (loss of food production) and indirectly (conflict with displaced tribes moving south).

Does that sound familiar? KK and his "on noes! The decline of western civilisation because of woke cancel culture and trans peeps!!" is ignoring the major threat climate change represents.

Konstantin Kisin's main point appears to be that parents want a better life for their children while the Climate Change industry wants to glue itself to the M1 and gain 5 minutes on News At Ten.

From its rise to fall the Roman Empire lasted 2,000 years. I doubt that its decline was caused by a shortage of polar bears
Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on July 21, 2023, 08:51:04 AM
You do realise your beloved CO2 myth is loosing traction now. Scientists are now turning to the fact there is a CO2 shortage.

Does that sound familiar? KK and his "on noes! The decline of western civilisation because of woke cancel culture and trans peeps!!" is ignoring the major threat climate change represents.

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 21, 2023, 06:23:18 AM
He is an excellent public speaker, but he uses strawmen (impressively) and presents a false choice between reducing carbon emissions and bringing people out of poverty. His example of China misses a crucial point. China is pushing hard towards decarbonisation. It's got a long way to go, but it is pushing hard.  It accounts of over ⅓ of global wind and solar capacity. KKs example dictator gets it, yes it's important to raise people's standard of living, but you can't do that if you cause massive changes in climate. Economic growth is harmed by having to clear up after floods, by drought hammering agriculture, by water shortages, by heat waves causing factory shutdowns etc. 

Could China do more? Yes. But this is where the tightrope comes in, coal and gas capacity is faster to build (no longer always cheaper). Xi has to balance powering the economic juggernaut now Vs future.  It's hard to tell your people that we need to go a bit slower because we shouldn't be using coal/oil/gas to boost capacity when the already rich nations (like the UK) are burning coal oil and gas. The UK wanted to be a global.leader, this is an opportunity to lead globally.

Which is why his point about the UK being too small (2%) to matter is wrong.
You do realise your beloved CO2 myth is loosing traction now. Scientists are now turning to the fact there is a CO2 shortage. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

He is an excellent public speaker, but he uses strawmen (impressively) and presents a false choice between reducing carbon emissions and bringing people out of poverty. His example of China misses a crucial point. China is pushing hard towards decarbonisation. It's got a long way to go, but it is pushing hard.  It accounts of over ⅓ of global wind and solar capacity. KKs example dictator gets it, yes it's important to raise people's standard of living, but you can't do that if you cause massive changes in climate. Economic growth is harmed by having to clear up after floods, by drought hammering agriculture, by water shortages, by heat waves causing factory shutdowns etc.  

Could China do more? Yes. But this is where the tightrope comes in, coal and gas capacity is faster to build (no longer always cheaper). Xi has to balance powering the economic juggernaut now Vs future.  It's hard to tell your people that we need to go a bit slower because we shouldn't be using coal/oil/gas to boost capacity when the already rich nations (like the UK) are burning coal oil and gas. The UK wanted to be a global.leader, this is an opportunity to lead globally.

Which is why his point about the UK being too small (2%) to matter is wrong. 

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 15, 2023, 12:07:11 PM
I know enough about student debates to know that they are really a competitive sport and they're more about the debating skills of the participants than the actual issues debated.
They 
Nice try Ducky but this is not a debate, this is the Oxford Union and a guest speaker. A speaker that had changed the attitude of the room by the end. An ex soviet citizen who actually understands how the world works. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 15, 2023, 12:07:11 PM
I know enough about student debates to know that they are really a competitive sport and they're more about the debating skills of the participants than the actual issues debated.

Whereas I know enough about parents to accept that Konstantin Kisin has an excellent point
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!