Nigel Farage gets apology from banking boss in Coutts row

Started by Borchester, July 20, 2023, 06:08:57 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: HDQQ on July 22, 2023, 09:34:03 AM
When will the British people be getting an apology from Farage for the damage he's caused to our country?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2023, 01:45:19 PM
And that is the expected comment from someone who voted to betray the UK to Brussels
Being influenced by the BoE base rate at 0.25% and typical mortgages at 2.5%, I voted to keep the UK economy growing and a country that would offer a good future to my kids.

I admit, intangibles like sovereignty and a possible future as a lone world power never figured strongly in my thinking...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2023, 01:05:31 PM

No, you voted to betray your country, which means that whatever the technicalities, you are no longer British but at best one of Brussels useful idiots

It's a matter of perspective. I think leavers voted to betray the UK by reducing our power and influence and hamstringing our economy.

What would you call someone who voted to sabotage our relationship with the USA and to leave NATO on the grounds they wanted decisions to be made in Westmeinster not Washington or Brussels?

Borchester

Quote from: patman post on July 22, 2023, 01:22:56 PM
That's a sad jibe from someone who claims to have voted for an outcome that's made their country downwardly mobile...

And that is the expected comment from someone who voted to betray the UK to Brussels
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2023, 01:05:31 PM

No, you voted to betray your country, which means that whatever the technicalities, you are no longer British but at best one of Brussels useful idiots

That's a sad jibe from someone who claims to have voted for an outcome that's made their country downwardly mobile...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 22, 2023, 12:53:01 PM
I voted to advance the Uk's interests in the world and provide us with the best chance of bettering our living standards.
Sadlt those who wanted to diminish the UK's position so they could wallow in nostalgia for a non-existent past won.

Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on July 22, 2023, 12:07:41 PM

Can't say I want one Duckie. And you voted to betray the UK to Brussels so who gives a shit about your opinions ?

I voted to advance the Uk's interests in the world and provide us with the best chance of bettering our living standards.
Sadlt those who wanted to diminish the UK's position so they could wallow in nostalgia for a non-existent past won.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on July 22, 2023, 09:34:03 AM
When will the British people be getting an apology from Farage for the damage he's caused to our country?

Can't say I want one Duckie. And you voted to betray the UK to Brussels so who gives a shit about your opinions ?

Algerie Francais !

srb7677

Nigel Farages' politics are irrelevant to the issue regarding the closure of his bank account.

I generally loathe and despise his politics and regard him as a negative element, but for as long as he is saying or doing nothing seriously illegal, is not using his account for illicit financial purposes or anything of that kind, then closing his account because of his politics - whatever we may think of his politics - would be an outrageous thing to do and would set a dangerous precedent.

I am uncertain whether the real issue is insufficient funds in his accounts or whether the real reason is politically motivated. If the latter then it is the thin edge of a very dangerous wedge.

Because if banks or any other businesses can turn away customers because they disagree with their political opinions, then that is dangerous for any democracy. And since we have created a society where it is almost impossible to get paid and manage finances without a current account, the notion that a bank can legally close your accounts because it disagrees with your politics is a very dangerous thing to be legally permissible.

If this is what has happened to Farage it is surely outrageous. It should be illegal for banks or anyone else to turn customers away because of legally held and expressed political opinions.

And those tempted to approve of the bank's actions because they don't like Farage or his politics are being foolish in the extreme. Because if they can do it to him they can do it to anyone else, including the people who Farage's naysayers support. 

This dangerous precedent needs to be acknowledged and addressed by the powers that be with legislation. If there is not a more legitimate reason for what was done anyway.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

Borchester

Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>