Saddo Khan’t Costs Starmer Uxbridge

Started by johnofgwent, July 21, 2023, 07:09:17 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2023, 06:56:14 PM
I'd say that elections are won by promising the electorate what it wants — and that's all the easier if the electorate are bombarded with an unrelenting diet of lies and misinformation beforehand...
Yet nobody has shown any science to prove AGW. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: patman post on July 24, 2023, 06:56:14 PM
I'd say that elections are won by promising the electorate what it wants — and that's all the easier if the electorate are bombarded with an unrelenting diet of lies and misinformation beforehand...

"Tell them what they want, then promise them what they want"

patman post

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2023, 05:05:30 PM
That is right.

Elections are won by giving the electorate what it wants, not what the politicos think it should have.
I'd say that elections are won by promising the electorate what it wants — and that's all the easier if the electorate are bombarded with an unrelenting diet of lies and misinformation beforehand...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2023, 05:05:30 PM
That is right.

Elections are won by giving the electorate what it wants, not what the politicos think it should have.
If you believe that, I've got a Nigerian prince who'd like to speak to you.

They are won by whoever convinces the electorate to believe them and not the other side.  What the winner does once elected has very little bearing on what was promised.

Answer this: what actual difference to the ULEZ can the new Tory MP make that the previous Tory MP (who was Ex Mayor of London and announced the ULEZ and excPrime Minister) couldn't?

Does he have a vote on the ULEZ? Can he do anything to exempt his constituency?

The answer is nothing. For all the posturing over the ULEZ, he can't so anything.

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 24, 2023, 04:51:40 PM
So we have a situation where both political parties are saying things about slowing and cutting the UK's climate.commitments off the back of a local election that was won on a slender margin reputedly because if some local's dissatisfaction with an anti pollution policy in a nearby city.

Does that seem like a logical chain of reasoning?

That is right.

Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2023, 04:43:55 PM
I bet you told that to the electors of Uxbridge and South Ruislip last Thursday, which is why Danny Beales is the new MP

:)
So we have a situation where both political parties are saying things about slowing and cutting the UK's climate.commitments off the back of a local election that was won on a slender margin reputedly because if some local's dissatisfaction with an anti pollution policy in a nearby city.

Does that seem like a logical chain of reasoning?

Borchester

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 24, 2023, 04:36:19 PM
It needs to be said, because the rightwing press and Tory right wing are mixing this up (probably deliberately).

THE ULEZ IS NOTHING TO DO WITH CO2 REDUCTION

It is purely an air quality issue. The target is reducing gunk in the air that causes smog and poor health.

But certain groups are using this as "proof" that policies to reduce carbon emissions should be scaled back.

I bet you told that to the electors of Uxbridge and South Ruislip last Thursday, which is why Danny Beales is the new MP

:)
Algerie Francais !

BeElBeeBub

It needs to be said, because the rightwing press and Tory right wing are mixing this up (probably deliberately).

THE ULEZ IS NOTHING TO DO WITH CO2 REDUCTION

It is purely an air quality issue. The target is reducing gunk in the air that causes smog and poor health.

But certain groups are using this as "proof" that policies to reduce carbon emissions should be scaled back.

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 23, 2023, 07:49:16 PM
Do you have a site that actually does tell you if your car is compliant, as opposed to one full of dodgy ads, probable malware and false 'NEXT and 'Start' buttons. Because that one does F@@@ all which makes me wonder what it is actually doung behind the scenes
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Others online are RAC and Autocar magazine also offer the checking service...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on July 23, 2023, 08:03:18 PM
Cars that meet Euro 4 (petrol) and 6 (diesel) are exempt. Euro 4 cars were sold from 2005, but all cars since 2015 (petrol and diesel) are compliant. 

Somethings like grey imports and modified might fail

As are pre 1973 classic cars!
And pre 2007 mopeds and motorcycles!
Electrics obviously
Disabled badges for now.
Must be something with being over 40, but I'd love to have something like a 1928 Austin Seven in roadworthy condition to pootle around in. My Dad's got a Morse type Jag he and a mate spent years (it seems) restoring — mind you it still seems no more reliable that Jags of today, but it's way more comfortable...

BeElBeeBub

Cars that meet Euro 4 (petrol) and 6 (diesel) are exempt. Euro 4 cars were sold from 2005, but all cars since 2015 (petrol and diesel) are compliant.  

Somethings like grey imports and modified might fail

As are pre 1973 classic cars!
And pre 2007 mopeds and motorcycles!
Electrics obviously
Disabled badges for now.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 23, 2023, 07:49:16 PM
Do you have a site that actually does tell you if your car is compliant, as opposed to one full of dodgy ads, probable malware and false 'NEXT and 'Start' buttons. Because that one does F@@@ all which makes me wonder what it is actually doung behind the scenes
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on July 23, 2023, 11:32:33 AM
We live in the current Ulez zone. Mrs P only has to register to drive through the congestion charge zone. It works out at 19.23 p a week.

Any vehicle that produces zero tailpipe emissions, such as an electric car will be automatically exempt from the ULEZ charge. This tends to be any vehicle that was registered after the Euro 6 standard was implemented in September 2015. Most Hybrids are also a contender for meeting the ULEZ standards.

https://ulez.co.uk/can-i-check-if-i-have-driven-in-the-ulez-zone/#:~:text=Any%20vehicle%20that%20produces%20zero%20tailpipe%20emissions%2C%20such,also%20a%20contender%20for%20meeting%20the%20ULEZ%20standards.
Do you have a site that actually does tell you if your car is compliant, as opposed to one full of dodgy ads, probable malware and false 'NEXT and 'Start' buttons. Because that one does F@@@ all which makes me wonder what it is actually doung behind the scenes
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on July 23, 2023, 12:00:45 PM
I think his days are numbered anyway, and the leading contender as mayor has said they will be scrapped on day one anyway.
Ir'd be a political stunt if they carry though. The majority of the pain will have been absorbed (people's cars being replaced) and then none of the benefit!

Stil it would be very on brand Tory

patman post

Quote from: Nick on July 23, 2023, 12:00:45 PM
I think his days are numbered anyway, and the leading contender as mayor has said they will be scrapped on day one anyway.
In the 2021 Mayor of London election, Khan won by 4.7% margin over the Conservatives.

Conservatives are still No.2 in the opinion polls for the next Mayor of London, but the margin is widening — June 2023 had Khan 8% ahead, and in July, Survation put it at 12%.

The Tories are not helped by choosing a candidate few people have heard of.

If Starmer persuades Khan to delay his Ulez plans, and the Tories only suggest they could ditch the net zero, they may need to bring back Boris...