Contemplating mortality

Started by srb7677, July 26, 2023, 05:12:37 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: srb7677 on July 26, 2023, 05:12:37 PM
Well after a brain scan last month the diagnosis has been confirmed. I officially have Parkinsons Disease. So it seems some of you are already older than I will ever be. Might have 20 years if I am lucky, less than 10 if not.

Being 58 I had not quite reached the age when I was seriously contemplating my own mortality. Suddenly I have to, with the inevitability of much greater personal difficulties before that as the symptoms progress and intensify.

Some of you here are already much older than I am and probably know what it feels like to contemplate your own inevitable demise, as I now find myself doing.

But I guess all lives come to an end. We have known that from as far back as very early childhood. Something gets us all in the end, we never do know for certain what or when. I guess I at least know what is likely to finish me and how it is likely to go. The symptoms are likely to be very mild for a few more years yet but they will not remain so.

There will come a time when punching a few keys on a keyboard might be beyond my capabilities. Retirement is 9 years away and am hoping to continue working until then but there are no guarantees.

It is what it is. I am just having to come to terms with it.
Sorry to hear that Steve, not the best of news. But if you think back to HIV, it was a death sentence, now it's a pill a day. There's always hope, remember that. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Streetwalker

Well after a brain scan last month the diagnosis has been confirmed. I officially have Parkinsons Disease. So it seems some of you are already older than I will ever be. Might have 20 years if I am lucky, less than 10 if not.

Being 58 I had not quite reached the age when I was seriously contemplating my own mortality. Suddenly I have to, with the inevitability of much greater personal difficulties before that as the symptoms progress and intensify.

Some of you here are already much older than I am and probably know what it feels like to contemplate your own inevitable demise, as I now find myself doing.

But I guess all lives come to an end. We have known that from as far back as very early childhood. Something gets us all in the end, we never do know for certain what or when. I guess I at least know what is likely to finish me and how it is likely to go. The symptoms are likely to be very mild for a few more years yet but they will not remain so.

There will come a time when punching a few keys on a keyboard might be beyond my capabilities. Retirement is 9 years away and am hoping to continue working until then but there are no guarantees.

Its just something you have to live with srb . Most 60 year olds would sign their soul away  if they were given another 20 years ,that you know it does I suppose bring reality into the room . 

From seeing older family members get old they basically stop thinking about mortality at some point accept its the way of the world and come the end embrace it .

If I could give some advice though , stop working , feck off  somewhere and enjoy yourself for a few years .  Best wishes all the way though in 20 years you will be here on your own so it wont matter what keys you are punching ;)

Borchester

Oh shit.

All sympathy.

Bear in mind that a lot of us cottontops are only here because of the quite unexpected advances in medical science of the last few years. So there is a good chance that pretty soon the quacks will roust out your brains, rewire them and you will be as good as new come Christmas.
Algerie Francais !

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.