Colonisation by British 'luckiest thing' to happen to Australia - John Howard

Started by Borchester, July 26, 2023, 08:15:37 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 03, 2023, 07:33:05 PM
Some trains also have classes.

And not being a Trolley Dolly or other airline employee, there's no way I'm going to share info...
Trains don't tend to do Business Class, they do First. 
I am Platinum with Flying Blue, Also top level with Miles and More. That pretty much covers all airlines and I can tell you they don't upgrade for free unless over booked, they certainly don't respond to negotiation. The fact you won't even name an airline or FF program says you're not telling the real or whole story, especially when you don't fly that much.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Nick on August 01, 2023, 09:31:19 PM
No we're not, where's your proof / examples? I've been to over a third of the worlds countries and not seen one bit of animosity or hatred. If you have I'd be putting down to your attitude rather than a hatred of Brits. Can't imagine meeting Smurf would be such a rewarding experience, no wonder he thinks we're all hated lol 

True. I have never had any problems with Johnny Foreigner. But if I were Pappy or Duckie and kept having the lesser breeds poking me with a stick I might try to blame matters on my nationality rather than lack of personal hygiene :)

Algerie Francais !

patman post

Quote from: Nick on August 03, 2023, 07:28:31 PM
And which airline (I assume you're talking flights) is it that you can charm your way into business class every time?
Some trains also have classes.

And not being a Trolley Dolly or other airline employee, there's no way I'm going to share info...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 03, 2023, 06:25:26 PM
That's right keep on stacking up the evidence against you. More nasty insults. Also I don't care how well travelled you are, "The English," are only hated slightly less that Americans are.
In the Philippines I was asked where in the US, Britain was — they couldn't understand why, if we (yes, "we") were so like Americans, we were so far away from the US.

Filipinos (and Filipinas) mostly love Americans...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nick

Quote from: patman post on August 03, 2023, 06:14:58 PM
It's been years since I couldn't negotiate myself out of tourist class and into business class if I hadn't booked it already. And when on business trips travelling with colleagues, it's the Irish and Scots who naturally lead the charm offensives...
And which airline (I assume you're talking flights) is it that you can charm your way into business class every time?

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 26, 2023, 11:00:48 PM
Again, this goes against the Azure Midget's rhetoric that the Brits are globally hated.
Speaking of the poison dwarf, he must be hiding from something, he's been AWOL for a few days.
That's right keep on stacking up the evidence against you. More nasty insults. Also I don't care how well travelled you are, "The English," are only hated slightly less that Americans are.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 03, 2023, 05:36:18 PM
Was that when you were travelling in Steerage with the Celts and the criminals posty ? 
It's been years since I couldn't negotiate myself out of tourist class and into business class if I hadn't booked it already. And when on business trips travelling with colleagues, it's the Irish and Scots who naturally lead the charm offensives...

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 03, 2023, 02:54:41 PM
I've noticed when overseas that Irish and Scottish accents do tend to get their owners accepted in friendlier fashions than most English accents.

Welsh accents don't appear to be that discernable to the "foreign" ear...
Was that when you were travelling in Steerage with the Celts and the criminals posty ?  

patman post

Quote from: HDQQ on July 26, 2023, 11:29:00 PM
It's the English who are globally hated, not the British.
I've noticed when overseas that Irish and Scottish accents do tend to get their owners accepted in friendlier fashions than most English accents.

Welsh accents don't appear to be that discernable to the "foreign" ear...

Nick

No we're not, where's your proof / examples? I've been to over a third of the worlds countries and not seen one bit of animosity or hatred. If you have I'd be putting down to your attitude rather than a hatred of Brits. Can't imagine meeting Smurf would be such a rewarding experience, no wonder he thinks we're all hated lol  

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on July 26, 2023, 11:25:21 PM
There are different ways this could be looked at.

For the aboriginal people who faced being attacked by the British, colonisation definitely wasn't a good thing. 

On the other hand, Australia and New Zealand are probably the places that benefited for longest from being part of the British Empire.

While most of the people in India and British Africa were under the rule of a foreign coloniser, most of the people in Australia were the foreign colonisers.
I think what Howard is saying is that it could have been worse and probably would have been from all accounts  had other European countries been the colonisers . 
The upper classes at the time may have had a lot to do with that who were generally English, (the Scots ,Welsh and Irish were always kept off the top table  ) and a law unto themselves . Guess what ? The English hated them as well 

But that was then ,today nationality is not as important ,if its important at all but rather the actions of individuals .

HDQQ

Quote from: Nick on July 26, 2023, 11:00:48 PM
Again, this goes against the Azure Midget's rhetoric that the Brits are globally hated.
Speaking of the poison dwarf, he must be hiding from something, he's been AWOL for a few days.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

HDQQ

There are different ways this could be looked at.

For the aboriginal people who faced being attacked by the British, colonisation definitely wasn't a good thing. 

On the other hand, Australia and New Zealand are probably the places that benefited for longest from being part of the British Empire.

While most of the people in India and British Africa were under the rule of a foreign coloniser, most of the people in Australia were the foreign colonisers.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Nick

Again, this goes against the Azure Midget's rhetoric that the Brits are globally hated. 

Streetwalker

Quite right as well , they don't know how lucky they are that the Brits got there first .Union Flag