Labour plan to charge VAT on private school fees

Started by Streetwalker, August 10, 2023, 10:05:01 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

I think borky's right , Labour will backtrack . Having had a chat with son no1 about this who works in a private infant  age school it was suggested that the state shools would struggle to accomodate the extra numbers . Not only of those who could not afford the extra costs but the knock on of even greater costs for those who would have to pay more because there was less of them .
Even then there would be less money in the private schools which would impact on standard of teachers and class sizes . They would in effect become the same as better end comprehensives which won't temp anyone looking to spend £5K a term on little ones education 

BeElBeeBub

I've got a dog in this fight, I with two school age little ones. 

My sister and I also went to local independent schools.

My observation. 

Private education has got a lot more expensive. 

Back when I went, the families weren't rich. Sure there were a few kids picked up in Porrsches (and one kid memorably picked up by a driver in a Bentley) but most had dad's in middling jobs (scientist , lorry driver and teacher were some of my friends) person and not all had working mums. 

Right now you are looking at £20k per year per kid as a starting point. Two kids and you're up to £40k out of taxed income, so £75k or so income just to pay for the kids, I let alone eat, drink pay mortgage, I bills etc. 

Nobody is affording that on a single salary of a teacher, lorry driver or scientist. Not even with the climate change hoax payments from Greta Thunberg. 😜

So yeah, back then it was possible for a family of normal means to send their kids private. Some scrimping and saving could yield enough money to do it. 

Not now, not even remotely. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 10, 2023, 03:34:43 PMBut as Madam said, to a lot of parents, you can always afford private education although eating, not so much.

Over £20000 a year, and that is the "cheap" end. Very few people can afford that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 10, 2023, 10:05:01 AM
Labour's plans to charge VAT on private school fees could see the cost of sending a child to boarding school double to more than £825,000 | Daily Mail Online

What is wrong with Labour ?  Indeed what is wrong for those that can afford it trying to give their kids the best of education and the best chances in life ?  All this will do is put private education beyond those who struggle to pay it . It wont effect the rich or the foriegn students , just the guy working extra hours to give his kids a chance .

Looking around at the education provided by our local authority, my wife decided that our children should be privately educated. Looking at the fees I asked how we could afford it whereupon she replied that we could not afford not to afford it. So I said yes dear and went up to my armpits in debt like a lot of other parents. But as Madam said, to a lot of parents, you can always afford private education although eating, not so much.

I think the Labour party will back track on this. If they destroy the private schools they will have to up their game in the state sector, which will cost telephone numbers and Starmer wants to be loved, not put up taxes.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2023, 10:14:11 AM
It already is beyond most people to pay.
Well yes it is but thats no reason to put it beyond even more people .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 10, 2023, 10:05:01 AM
  All this will do is put private education beyond those who struggle to pay it . 
It already is beyond most people to pay.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Labour's plans to charge VAT on private school fees could see the cost of sending a child to boarding school double to more than £825,000 | Daily Mail Online

What is wrong with Labour ?  Indeed what is wrong for those that can afford it trying to give their kids the best of education and the best chances in life ?  All this will do is put private education beyond those who struggle to pay it . It wont effect the rich or the foriegn students , just the guy working extra hours to give his kids a chance .