Are more people working from home ?

Started by Borchester, August 11, 2023, 07:28:30 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 17, 2023, 09:00:02 AM
give it time
There were but there was so much protest currently there are not. (Emphasis on the currently.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2023, 05:01:29 PM
Ive asked them , they say asap but there is nowhere to stay as all the hotels are full of migrants :(
That is not the case.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 16, 2023, 03:53:08 PM
Ask the (Tory) Cornwall Councill.
Ive asked them , they say asap but there is nowhere to stay as all the hotels are full of migrants :(

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2023, 03:16:47 PM
Well Im not as fast as I was but when do you want me to start ?  Union Flag
Ask the (Tory) Cornwall Councill.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 16, 2023, 10:20:09 AM
Quite, the only answer where I live is to build council houses for rent to locals only. (Across the whole of Cornwall that would be 26000 council houses.)
Well Im not as fast as I was but when do you want me to start ?  Union Flag

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 16, 2023, 10:13:39 AM
The issue is the pressure on house prices and rents means salaries to pay them would require a price rise that makes the retailers prices unattractive to the 'tourists and outsiders' and unaffordable by the real locals
Quite, the only answer where I live is to build council houses for rent to locals only. (Across the whole of Cornwall that would be 26000 council houses.)

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on August 14, 2023, 04:47:26 PM
Ten pay more and the local business will get staff.
The issue is the pressure on house prices and rents means salaries to pay them would require a price rise that makes the retailers prices unattractive to the 'tourists and outsiders' and unaffordable by the real locals
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 14, 2023, 04:47:26 PM
Borchester to cover the cost of local rents and living costs, the wages would have to rise about 300%. Council housing for local people only is the only answer.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 14, 2023, 03:24:42 PM
Where I live with rents in the £800-£1200  month range that is most of the local wage. That is why no-one can get staff.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 14, 2023, 02:46:08 PM

Friends have a farm in the Vale of Glamorgan and their grandchildren pitch up for a few days, whereupon their grandmother asked if he would mind doing a bit of work around the place.One of the grandchildren said that they did not mind a bit of work, but usually farm work involved back breaking labour, so they might have to stick a pin in that. Had they, asked the lad, thought of hiring someone ? My friend sighed and said it was impossible to get staff. Let us put it another way, said the grandson, had they thought of paying a decent wage ?

My friend related the story half rueful, half proud and said that her grandson might only be studying at Cardiff Met, but he wasn't stupid
Where I live with rents in the £800-£1200  month range that is most of the local wage. That is why no-one can get staff.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 14, 2023, 11:48:37 AM
The lunacy locally is the over tourism, massive increase in second homes, and AirB&B, with the consequence every local business cannot get staff because there is no-where left for staff to live.

Friends have a farm in the Vale of Glamorgan and their grandchildren pitch up for a few days, whereupon their grandmother asked if he would mind doing a bit of work around the place.One of the grandchildren said that they did not mind a bit of work, but usually farm work involved back breaking labour, so they might have to stick a pin in that. Had they, asked the lad, thought of hiring someone ? My friend sighed and said it was impossible to get staff. Let us put it another way, said the grandson, had they thought of paying a decent wage ?

My friend related the story half rueful, half proud and said that her grandson might only be studying at Cardiff Met, but he wasn't stupid

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 14, 2023, 11:44:52 AM
The population is getting bigger, of course prices are going up, what do you expect?
The lunacy locally is the over tourism, massive increase in second homes, and AirB&B, with the consequence every local business cannot get staff because there is no-where left for staff to live.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 14, 2023, 07:54:32 AM
Only a few years ago the bungalow estate I live on had no rental property, or second homes. It was all owner occupation. Now there are several second homes, hardly ever occupied, and several rental properties all over £1000 a month rent.
There are now several local young local people, living caravans hidden away in various locations, because despite running businesses they cannot afford to rent or buy a home.
The population is getting bigger, of course prices are going up, what do you expect?
I've just finished a job at Rolls Royce (Chichester). I stayed at a 2 bed bungalow near Arundel, one bedroom being in the dormer. An identical property next door just sold for £840K. It's lunacy. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 14, 2023, 12:46:23 AM
The price of all property has gotten ridiculous. My pokey two and a half bedroom maisonette is now at three quarters of a million pounds, which is a bit more than the thirty thousand we paid for it. And amazingly enough, there are folk willing to pay that sort of price. Still, that is show business.
Only a few years ago the bungalow estate I live on had no rental property, or second homes. It was all owner occupation. Now there are several second homes, hardly ever occupied, and several rental properties all over £1000 a month rent.
There are now several local young local people, living caravans hidden away in various locations, because despite running businesses they cannot afford to rent or buy a home.