Any active sports people?

Started by Cassie, October 16, 2019, 12:29:47 PM

« previous - next »

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=919 time=1571253185 user_id=53
I play golf at least once a week weather permitting  and maybe 2-3 times in the summer . Trouble is I maybe hang about in the 19th a bit too long so any good the walk has done me is maybe put in the negative after 6 pints

You would have liked the house my friend used to live in. His father owned a golf course and built him a house on it, so as you walk out of your garden you are on the edge of the course itself! It's the ultimate for the lazy bum golfer.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Wiggles

I play golf 4 or 5 times a week, but I appear to be getting worse. Never mind, it's good company and I enjoy the fresh air.
A hand up, not a hand out

Churchill

I swim at least once a week GP told me best form of exercise as jogging or running puts a lot of strain on the joints , swimming is kinder on the joints and exercises all of the body upper and lower, left knee is dodgy so have not run for quite some time
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Cassie

Quote from: Streetwalker post_id=919 time=1571253185 user_id=53
I play golf at least once a week weather permitting  and maybe 2-3 times in the summer . Trouble is I maybe hang about in the 19th a bit too long so any good the walk has done me is maybe put in the negative after 6 pints

I once played golf many moons ago, I got out of the sand with a wedge iron first time Everyone thought I was brill. I tried again and couldn't get the ball out at all! Gave up after that.

Cassie

Quote from: Javert post_id=909 time=1571252155 user_id=64
Quote from: Cassie post_id=881 time=1571248361 user_id=57

That's great. Do you find it hard to get motivated, dakr nights and cold?

I managed to go for a 3 mile run after I posted. I always find this time of year difficult, wind is worse, temperature lower. I want summer back. I've got a bit of a calf issue so the physio told me to do a bit of cross training, swimming and cycling. Swimming is ok - once you're in the pool. I dislike coming out into the cold. I have to keep the effort up, I'm still trying to get back into fitness from an operation earlier this year. My aim is to get to 5 miles by Christmas!

I usually find that as long as I try to keep up the routine regularly, it's ok.  If I take a break then it's harder to go back.  Also I don't like running in the rain (or at least setting out in the rain and cold) so usually if it's raining I don't go.  Unfortunately in Warrington area where I live this scuppers quite a few runs especially in winter.  

I also have to increasingly navigate around or through floods, mud, and virtual lakes that have formed on the paths and this has got steadily worse over the last 5 years or so, but you can always find some way around

I've been thinking of starting to go to the gym and cutting down on the running as I'm aware that I don't really do any impact exercise and running is mainly focused on legs.

I do agree it's harder in the cold to force yourself out.  

I'm a bit of a technology geek so I find it's quite a good motivator to have a running watch where I can see all the different statistics, heart rate and so on.  I worked out a while ago that I had run several thousand miles since I first started having those watches but that was probably 10 years ago or more.

I also find if I take a break, it's important to make sure to start out with a much shorter distance when starting back up again.

I started slowly after my operation, but probably built up too quickly. I think I might join a gym to strengthen my muscles.

Streetwalker

Javert

Quote from: Cassie post_id=881 time=1571248361 user_id=57
Quote from: Javert post_id=862 time=1571245111 user_id=64
I do quite a bit of running but not competitive - it's just to stay healthy.

Generally I try to run 3-5 times per week.  Max distance 10k but usually more like 7k.

My pace times are very slow so I'd call it jogging more than running TBH.

I managed to go for a 3 mile run after I posted. I always find this time of year difficult, wind is worse, temperature lower. I want summer back. I've got a bit of a calf issue so the physio told me to do a bit of cross training, swimming and cycling. Swimming is ok - once you're in the pool. I dislike coming out into the cold. I have to keep the effort up, I'm still trying to get back into fitness from an operation earlier this year. My aim is to get to 5 miles by Christmas!

I usually find that as long as I try to keep up the routine regularly, it's ok.  If I take a break then it's harder to go back.  Also I don't like running in the rain (or at least setting out in the rain and cold) so usually if it's raining I don't go.  Unfortunately in Warrington area where I live this scuppers quite a few runs especially in winter.  

I also have to increasingly navigate around or through floods, mud, and virtual lakes that have formed on the paths and this has got steadily worse over the last 5 years or so, but you can always find some way around

I've been thinking of starting to go to the gym and cutting down on the running as I'm aware that I don't really do any impact exercise and running is mainly focused on legs.

I do agree it's harder in the cold to force yourself out.  

I'm a bit of a technology geek so I find it's quite a good motivator to have a running watch where I can see all the different statistics, heart rate and so on.  I worked out a while ago that I had run several thousand miles since I first started having those watches but that was probably 10 years ago or more.

I also find if I take a break, it's important to make sure to start out with a much shorter distance when starting back up again.

Cassie

Quote from: Javert post_id=862 time=1571245111 user_id=64

Generally I try to run 3-5 times per week.  Max distance 10k but usually more like 7k.

Javert

johnofgwent

The local authority has decided to terminate the free swimming sessions for 60+ except for about 30-45 min when no one could get there(no buses).
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Cassie

I'm always the same at this time of the year, I can't motivate myself. I've missed the swimming slot at the pool because of procrastination, now I'm trying to motivate myself to go for a run. Any other runners etc?