Ultra Low Emission Zones

Started by papasmurf, August 30, 2023, 08:43:27 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 31, 2023, 07:58:18 AM
Outer London boroughs tried to make a case for not expanding ULEZ and a lot of what they were saying made sense . Saying that (whoever said it) there was poor public transport though was a lie .  Having worked in the area I can assure that the public transport is fine for a general use (as is the case in all parts of London )
What the outer London councils were trying to do in their objections was to compare inner and outer London . If they had pressed on the issues  facing those coming into the zone instead of making stuff up about those already in it they might have had more success .

South East London bus map (ontheworldmap.com)    shows there are not a lot of places where you would be far from a bus or indeed a train if your going into the City .

Try googling this, "loss of bus routes london" Your perception and the reality is very different.

Just one example:- The full list of 9 London bus routes set to disappear this year after huge TfL cuts - MyLondon
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 07:36:51 PM
So all the people living in the expanded ULEZ zone who have been on various TV channels yesterday and today are lying?
This is also just an example, there are many others. There is also a mass of detail at this link:-

Response to ULEZ consultation | London Borough of Bexley

In summary, the Council considers that the expansion of ULEZ into outer London is inappropriate given the character of the area, the poor public transport connectivity, the nature of travel behaviour and resulting interdependencies. By blindly duplicating the approach in central and inner London without properly assessing the implications for outer London or neighbouring areas beyond Greater London the proposals risk causing a series of negative social and economic impacts that are likely to outweigh the benefits.

Outer London boroughs tried to make a case for not expanding ULEZ and a lot of what they were saying made sense . Saying that (whoever said it) there was poor public transport though was a lie .  Having worked in the area I can assure that the public transport is fine for a general use (as is the case in all parts of London ) 
What the outer London councils were trying to do in their objections was to compare inner and outer London . If they had pressed on the issues  facing those coming into the zone instead of making stuff up about those already in it they might have had more success .

South East London bus map (ontheworldmap.com)    shows there are not a lot of places where you would be far from a bus or indeed a train if your going into the City .

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 07:36:51 PM
So all the people living in the expanded ULEZ zone who have been on various TV channels yesterday and today are lying?
This is also just an example, there are many others. There is also a mass of detail at this link:-

In summary, the Council considers that the expansion of ULEZ into outer London is inappropriate given the character of the area, the poor public transport connectivity, the nature of travel behaviour and resulting interdependencies. By blindly duplicating the approach in central and inner London without properly assessing the implications for outer London or neighbouring areas beyond Greater London the proposals risk causing a series of negative social and economic impacts that are likely to outweigh the benefits.

If it is your regular broadcasts from the Planet Zog (tin foil hat supplied), the answer is probably yes.

As I have either said or meant to say before, it was not the ULEZ as such. If Khan had any sense he would have stood there with tears in his eyes and explained to the mums and dads of Uxbridge that he was committed to stopping car fumes from rotting the brains of their children.

But Saddo bumbled on in his usual glum, humourless fashion until the only person ready to listen to him was you and as a result, the Brothers and Sisters lost.
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2023, 04:50:49 PM
You are joking . We have more buses now than ever , every area is covered with public transport . Its even a condition of major planning applications that they must either be near transport links or that transport links will be integrated into the developments .

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 03:35:00 PM
No there is not. (That is one of the complaints about the expanded zone.)
You are joking . We have more buses now than ever , every area is covered with public transport . Its even a condition of major planning applications that they must either be near transport links or that transport links will be integrated into the developments .

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on August 30, 2023, 04:23:38 PM
Quite.

SW is a Londoner and Pappy ise not,  so naturally the latter knows more about the London bus service than does the former does.

The buses in Uxbridge creak alone happily enough for the likes of me and most other folk, but Khan made the mistake of taking the area for granted, Happily Saddo will not learn his lesson and we can look forward to ever more F@@@ ups as time goes by
Borchester, the crap public transport in the extended ULEZ zone has been the subject of much discussion, debate and in depth detail, all day on news and current affairs programs. The knowledge is available to all. Yet again you make a personal attack just for the sake of it.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 03:35:00 PM

Quite.

SW is a Londoner and Pappy is not,  so naturally the latter knows more about the London bus service than does the former .

The buses in Uxbridge creak alone happily enough for the likes of me and most other folk, but Khan made the mistake of taking the area for granted, Happily Saddo will not learn his lesson and we can look forward to ever more F@@@ ups as time goes by
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2023, 02:28:35 PM
If they can't afford it there is a perfectly good public transport sysytem they can use .

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 01:20:34 PM
Is your television broken, there massive problems with the ULEZ zone expansion. Millions can't afford the £12.50 a day to go into the area or move around in it. 
If they can't afford it there is a perfectly good public transport sysytem they can use . With the state that Khan has the roads in what with bike and bus lanes they will probably find it quicker getting from a to b 
 As for your moronic country bumpkin comment, that is beyond offensive.
Think of it as a term of endearment 
It is not only rural areas when people need a car, and millions of those cars are old and people cannot afford a ULEZ compliant or electric car. Businesses are going to go bust, old/disabled people effectively trapped in their home. 
Again if they cant afford it use the bus . Businesses can write it off in their tax returns and disabled people are exempt till 2027 from Ulez . Those that are not get mobility allowance and /or  grants to purchase compliant vehicles . So no they wont be trapped indoors .
 Sadiq Khan has not got a clue about the emergent properties and unintended consequences of his policy. 
I think he knows full well how this is going down and as I said earlier it should have been extended but this will only be half of it . Ulez compliant boilers and energy efficient  windows will be the next  ideas out of the mayors office 
Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 01:20:34 PMHe should have stuck to driving a bus.
Thats a very , very offensive comment 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2023, 10:59:17 AMDon't worry the whole country will be in a ULEZ soon , dont see why you country bumkins should be getting away with polluting the world

There isn't any real need, non-compliant cars are going to age out of the fleet over the next decade or so. Major towns might well have a case and pressure should be put to remove older cars earlier than they might but it'll be a natural evolution anyway.

The case for.resuinc car journeys is strong, and it is trivial to do so in and around London. In my 10 years there I had a car for only a few years (girlfriends) and it was hardly used. Mostly for leaving London to visit family back in the countryside because (and this is the crucial bit) rural public transport is almost non existent.

Sad to say, cars or at least some form of personal transport are essential in the countryside. I'm. Reasonably lucky as I live within walking distance of a lot of services., but many of my friends might love 3 or 4.miles.away from anything. And that's 3 or 4 rural miles, no pavements or bike lanes and high hedges on both sides of single track roads. 

Ironically it would be a lot easier to go car free of there weren't so many cars about! 

BeElBeeBub

Is your television broken, there massive problems with the ULEZ zone expansion. Millions can't afford the £12.50 a day to go into the area or move around in it. As for your moronic country bumpkin comment, that is beyond offensive.
It is not only rural areas when people need a car, and millions of those cars are old and people cannot afford a ULEZ compliant or electric car. Businesses are going to go bust, old/disabled people effectively trapped in their home. Sadiq Khan has not got a clue about the emergent properties and unintended consequences of his policy. He should have stuck to driving a bus.
Millions? I think not. There are only about 2.3m cars in and around London so.... 

Say you have a non-compliant car. You can get at least 2k for it.

2k will easily get you a compliant car, have a look on aurotrader

Now granted there is a faff factor and the big caveat is that it only applies to residents of London bourghs - mostly because the government refuses to find any scheme for non-londoners. 

Can I ask why you are so incenced about this, do you live. In London? Are you one of those "millions" trapped in their homes or going out of business? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2023, 10:59:17 AM
I live right on the border of the London Ulez and cant say Ive heard of any problems
Is your television broken, there massive problems with the ULEZ zone expansion. Millions can't afford the £12.50 a day to go into the area or move around in it. As for your moronic country bumpkin comment, that is beyond offensive. 
It is not only rural areas when people need a car, and millions of those cars are old and people cannot afford a ULEZ compliant or electric car. Businesses are going to go bust, old/disabled people effectively trapped in their home. Sadiq Khan has not got a clue about the emergent properties and unintended consequences of his policy. He should have stuck to driving a bus.

Streetwalker

I live right on the border of the London Ulez and cant say Ive heard of any problems bar a few scammers taking money from the unsuspecting . We have known this has been coming for some time and those who drive into the zone have got their stuff sorted . 
The general consensus is that this could have been brought in over a longer period of time that would have seen the natural transition of non compliant vehicles being replaced with compliant ones without causing too much disruption to peoples finances . 
Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 10:45:54 AM
I doubt it will go smoothly. Also ULEZ type zone are in place in an increasing number of areas, and are causing problems. (Lack of signage being one.)  I am worried in case a diversion takes me into such an area, I can't use a smart phone. (Bristol being the most likely.)
Don't worry the whole country will be in a ULEZ soon , dont see why you country bumkins should be getting away with polluting the world 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 30, 2023, 10:26:32 AM
There will be a bit of cause and effect here.

In the same way you might fine more smart cars and tiny city cars in and around a city.

The existence of the ULEZ will affect the makeup of cars in the surrounding areas.

It's a bugger but it is probably for the best and I say that as someone who has just had to register to pay as I expect to be visiting friends in west london next week.  Took about 10 minutes, and admittedly was a little confusing though mainly because of all the ULEZ scam sites that pop up in the search.  Hopefully will all go smoothly

I doubt it will go smoothly. Also ULEZ type zone are in place in an increasing number of areas, and are causing problems. (Lack of signage being one.)  I am worried in case a diversion takes me into such an area, I can't use a smart phone. (Bristol being the most likely.)

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on August 30, 2023, 08:43:27 AM
I know that politicians misuse statistics, but to state that 90% of cars are ULEZ compliant it total nonsense. (Except in  the original London ULEZ area.)  90% of cars in Britain are not. Ask the DVLA.
I had similar argument with the Petrol Retailers Association about E5 petrol disappearing from petrol stations. (It appears Morrisons supermarkets are putting E5 back in their petrol stations because of demand.)
There will be a bit of cause and effect here.

In the same way you might fine more smart cars and tiny city cars in and around a city.

The existence of the ULEZ will affect the makeup of cars in the surrounding areas.

It's a bugger but it is probably for the best and I say that as someone who has just had to register to pay as I expect to be visiting friends in west london next week.  Took about 10 minutes, and admittedly was a little confusing though mainly because of all the ULEZ scam sites that pop up in the search.  Hopefully will all go smoothly