UK likely to rejoin EU's Horizon science research scheme as full member.

Started by HDQQ, September 06, 2023, 10:48:49 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on September 07, 2023, 09:48:37 AM
'Ere, not quite Gerry. I don't want to be rude, but if your mum is going to write these posts of yours for you, you should give her the chance to read the article properly.

Johnny Foreigner wants £2 billions, but then I want a night out with Emilia Clarke and that isn't very likely either. The boffins are being offered £250 millions, which they may or may not get, but which is a lot less than your fantasy.
I checked with mammy and she said I'm right. You're reading that wrong, the 250m is looking at how the UK will internally fund this It's more like 2.6b a year and before the UK can join all EU countries have to first rubber stamp the proposal. I guess that will be a formality as it does make a lot of sense to pool resources. It's like the EU is giving any decision making powers away, so let them pay and use their brains, what's to complain about it.
In reality it's sort of mute as most of that money goes back to the UK in the form of research grants, but the UK will be locked out of some sensitive research programmes that are particular to the EU with only EU countries being allowed to participate in them. The actual research programmes will be decided among the members, so again the UK will be on a committee and making joint decisions and paying their equal fair share. Sort of sounds like something else the UK was a member of up until recently.

If you want to see what's actually involved why not read an EU release, rather than the UK rag press that put so much spin on things.
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_23_4373

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2023, 07:29:24 AM
Nick don't you follow current affairs at all? Sunak and Braverman have had serious falling out about it:-

Sunak to hand THOUSANDS of visas to India as PM set to make major trade deal concession (gbnews.com)
And these immigrants as you call them will be Doctors and Surgeons, not Taylor's and Chai Wallah's. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on September 07, 2023, 09:11:29 AM
Rejoining after leaving makes alot of sense, but how come there's no mention of the cost. Each yr the UK will pay 2billion for the next 7 yrs of this budget cycle. That's over one quarter what the UK paid for full EU membership and all the benefits, for membership of just 1 scheme.
But it's a welcome sight, brexit Britain finally seeing "we are stronger and better together". Maybe the penny has started to drop.

https://sciencebusiness.net/framework-programmes/news/uk-announces-eu250m-towards-horizon-europe-participation-cost-following

'Ere, not quite Gerry. I don't want to be rude, but if your mum is going to write these posts of yours for you, you should give her the chance to read the article properly.

Johnny Foreigner wants £2 billions, but then I want a night out with Emilia Clarke and that isn't very likely either. The boffins are being offered £250 millions, which they may or may not get, but which is a lot less than your fantasy.
Algerie Francais !

GerryT

Rejoining after leaving makes alot of sense, but how come there's no mention of the cost. Each yr the UK will pay 2billion for the next 7 yrs of this budget cycle. That's over one quarter what the UK paid for full EU membership and all the benefits, for membership of just 1 scheme.
But it's a welcome sight, brexit Britain finally seeing "we are stronger and better together". Maybe the penny has started to drop.

https://sciencebusiness.net/framework-programmes/news/uk-announces-eu250m-towards-horizon-europe-participation-cost-following

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on September 06, 2023, 10:48:49 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-66731164

It's just a start, but If we can rejoin this as a 'full member', it paves the way for rejoining other EU schemes. This, in turn would pave the way to rejoining the EU itself. If we rejoin the EU, I understand that would mean joining the Schengen agreement and adopting the Euro.

This is one slippery slope I'd be more than happy to see us on. We'd need to have a referendum on rejoining the EU first though, or alternatively to elect a government with a stated policy of rejoining the EU.
We can join as many clubs ,associations and schemes as you like ,co-operation on science should be worldwide and yes we should be part of that . Its probably worth noting that there are quite a few associate members of horizon around the world , I don't think Israel or New Zealand is thinking of it as a slippery slope to EU membership 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 07, 2023, 07:24:33 AM
Can you show me where anyone has agreed to let 'More' Indians into the country? To be fair I'd swap you for a 1000 Indians, they have respect, are kind and are glad of what they have in life, unlike you that loans about everything.
Nick don't you follow current affairs at all? Sunak and Braverman have had serious falling out about it:-

Sunak to hand THOUSANDS of visas to India as PM set to make major trade deal concession (gbnews.com)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 07, 2023, 07:07:21 AM
Good news for once, but countered by Sunak signing a trade deal with India that will let even more immigrants into Britain.
Can you show me where anyone has agreed to let 'More' Indians into the country? To be fair I'd swap you for a 1000 Indians, they have respect, are kind and are glad of what they have in life, unlike you that moans about everything.

Nick

It's just a start, but If we can rejoin this as a 'full member', it paves the way for rejoining other EU schemes. This, in turn would pave the way to rejoining the EU itself. If we rejoin the EU, I understand that would mean joining the Schengen agreement and adopting the Euro.

This is one slippery slope I'd be more than happy to see us on. We'd need to have a referendum on rejoining the EU first though, or alternatively to elect a government with a stated policy of rejoining the EU.
We won't be rejoining the EU, so you can take your anti-democratic notions and stick em. 

papasmurf

Good news for once, but countered by Sunak signing a trade deal with India that will let even more immigrants into Britain.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

So all that need happen is for Sir Ed Davey to form a government, send a letter to Ursula von der Leyen asking her to drop her drawers and the UK's great and good will form a queue to kiss her bum.

A great day for the UK
Algerie Francais !

HDQQ

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!