No bids for offshore wind in government auction

Started by papasmurf, September 08, 2023, 12:28:20 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Borchester on September 15, 2023, 11:18:58 AM

There were no takers because the contractors could not make a profit, which means that off shore wind farms are a crap idea, which means that the idea should either be abandoned or financed via a tax on hippies
Sort of correct., apart from the bit about wind farms being a crap idea because you think they can't make money. 

If wind farms were paid the same a gas power stations for electricity they would be falling over themselves to build them. 

Wind is about half the price of CCGT generation. 

The government offered gas generators about 3x more than wind operators per Mwh. 

Due to increases in construction costs they should have paid the wind operators closer to £55/Mwh instead of the £44/Mwh they offered. 

Instead the shortfall will be made up by CCGT at about £115/Mwh.

Borchester

Quote from: HDQQ on September 12, 2023, 10:26:42 AM
What about all the money that's being wasted building a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point?

There were no takers for the new offshore wind contracts because of bad deal, not because the idea is bad. We're getting about one third of our annual electricity from renewables (mostly wind) already. Going by what happens in other sectors, a lot of wind turbines will probably last well beyond 25 years, while some will need replacing before 25 years.

For a long time, 25 years has been the estimated life-span for wind turbines, and also for solar panels. The ones used offshore are 'marinised' versions, which are more durable in the harsh conditions out at sea. I imagine the wind power industry factors in eventual replacement of turbines.

Nuclear power stations have a productive lifespan of 50 - 60 years, after which they need expensive management of a decommissioning process lasting many decades.

Coal fired power stations need expensive maintenance of boilers, steam turbines and generators don't last for ever.

With gas fired power stations, the gas turbines are usually re-purposed secondhand aircraft engines, which don't last for ever. These power stations also have generators and, if they are combined-cycles (as most are), a high-pressure steam system to look after.

How long does an airliner last? How many times does it need its engines replaced during its life?

There were no takers because the contractors could not make a profit, which means that off shore wind farms are a crap idea, which means that the idea should either be abandoned or financed via a tax on hippies
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: Benson on September 15, 2023, 10:53:53 AM
Nuclear is the only answer.
Nobody listened to Maggy when she said that. Problem is we are 40 years too late for todays needs. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Benson

What about all the money that's being wasted building a new nuclear power station at Hinkley Point?

There were no takers for the new offshore wind contracts because of bad deal, not because the idea is bad. We're getting about one third of our annual electricity from renewables (mostly wind) already. Going by what happens in other sectors, a lot of wind turbines will probably last well beyond 25 years, while some will need replacing before 25 years.

For a long time, 25 years has been the estimated life-span for wind turbines, and also for solar panels. The ones used offshore are 'marinised' versions, which are more durable in the harsh conditions out at sea. I imagine the wind power industry factors in eventual replacement of turbines.

Nuclear power stations have a productive lifespan of 50 - 60 years, after which they need expensive management of a decommissioning process lasting many decades.

Coal fired power stations need expensive maintenance of boilers, steam turbines and generators don't last for ever.

With gas fired power stations, the gas turbines are usually re-purposed secondhand aircraft engines, which don't last for ever. These power stations also have generators and, if they are combined-cycles (as most are), a high-pressure steam system to look after.

How long does an airliner last? How many times does it need its engines replaced during its life?

Nuclear is the only answer.
How do you change your signature?

papasmurf

That is not wasting money it should have been built a long time ago.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

HDQQ

Quote from: Benson on September 09, 2023, 11:19:28 AM
I seen that in the news. Looks like the developers have cottoned on what a waste of money renewables are. They're only gonna get £x amount off the grid, so due to inflation, it's not worth wasting millions on the renewable hardware.

Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 09, 2023, 01:40:35 PM
Cost of materials, Labour, parts, finance etc have all gone up but the gov set prices as though it was 2020.

Try getting a builder to do your extension at the 2020 price and see how far you get!
Try getting a builder, where I live they seem to be ceasing trading or going bust.

BeElBeeBub

I seen that in the news. Looks like the developers have cottoned on what a waste of money renewables are. They're only gonna get £x amount off the grid, so due to inflation, it's not worth wasting millions on the renewable hardware.
Cost of materials, Labour, parts, finance etc have all gone up but the gov set prices as though it was 2020.

Try getting a builder to do your extension at the 2020 price and see how far you get! 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 09, 2023, 12:23:00 PM
I was surprised at the short life of local land based wind turbines. (20-25 years.) The life of offshore ones must be even shorter.
It"s about the same as a coal or gas power station or a school roof apparently. 

I suspect, like with most things they are designed to last the life specified (in this case 20-25 years). If the accountants thought in longer than 25 year cycles then they would be designed to last that long. 

papasmurf

I was surprised at the short life of local land based wind turbines. (20-25 years.) The life of offshore ones must be even shorter.

Benson

Quote from: papasmurf on September 08, 2023, 12:28:20 PM
Oh dear, how sad, never mind, more at link:-

No bids for offshore wind in government auction - BBC News

1 hour ago
No new offshore wind projects have been bought by developers at a key government auction, dealing a blow to the UK's renewable power strategy.
Results showed no bids for new offshore wind farms, but there were deals for solar, tidal and onshore wind projects.
Firms have argued the price set for electricity generated was too low to make offshore wind projects viable.

How do you change your signature?

papasmurf

Oh dear, how sad, never mind, more at link:-

No bids for offshore wind in government auction - BBC News

1 hour ago
No new offshore wind projects have been bought by developers at a key government auction, dealing a blow to the UK's renewable power strategy.
Results showed no bids for new offshore wind farms, but there were deals for solar, tidal and onshore wind projects.
Firms have argued the price set for electricity generated was too low to make offshore wind projects viable.