Five Home Renovations Never Worth Doing Yourself

Started by Borchester, September 26, 2023, 03:44:37 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 27, 2023, 09:01:17 AM
You keep coming out with this BS, you can do what you want electrically in your own home. And you've been asked to prove your point many times, but you never do. And don't say you already have cause you haven't.
Nick if carry out work yourself and you are uncertificated it nullifies your house insurance. 

Home renovation insurance | Go.Compare (gocompare.com)

Remember, you're unlikely to make a successful claim on your 
home insurance if you attempt to do electrical, plumbing or gas work you aren't qualified to do too. And if you cause damage through your own dodgy workmanship, your policy probably won't pay out either.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 27, 2023, 08:25:49 AM
Quite, legally unless you are certificated there is very little you can legally do.
You keep coming out with this BS, you can do what you want electrically in your own home. And you've been asked to prove your point many times, but you never do. And don't say you already have cause you haven't. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 27, 2023, 07:39:58 AM
 I can understand people shying away from electrical work, 
Quite, legally unless you are certificated there is very little you can legally do.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Borchester on September 26, 2023, 03:44:37 AM
I know that this is just clickbait and it is just a trick to sell all my personal details to a Nigerian con artist, but who the hell hasn't managed this stuff at some time ?

Jesus Christ, spend £5 on the Readers Digest Manual of DIY and you can build Tower Bridge

https://lifehacker.com/five-home-renovations-never-worth-doing-yourself-1850848046?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb
I do all of those, as you say, it's just click bait. I can understand people shying away from electrical work, but who hasn't done some tiling?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on September 26, 2023, 09:19:21 AM
I don't know why that article needled me. I am no master builder and any time I have put on brick on top of another they both fall down. And like SW, I am nervous when it come to electric meters and such.

But Jesus Christ, I will have a go
It wound me up a bit 

i'm a bloody lousy plasterer but i can handle most other things

Grandad built foundations for WW2 radar towers they're too scared to dismantle in case it takes out the cliff face. Dad learned how to do foundations from him and taught me in turn

24 years ago i created a concrete base for a greenhouse in the garden. The greenhouse is long gone. I gave tried all sorts to break up those foundations. No chance. I'm wondering if the replacement for 617 Squadron fancy some precision bombing training....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

I don't know why that article needled me. I am no master builder and any time I have put on brick on top of another they both fall down. And like SW, I am nervous when it come to electric meters and such.

But Jesus Christ, I will have a go
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on September 26, 2023, 07:47:05 AM
Where's 'dig up the patio and re-lay it with a hallowe'en skeleton in the foundations'

There's two here and in our last house the one under the dining room extension is riding an MZ Motorbike.

Or take that pile of elderly asbestos and bury it in the foundations :)
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

Where's 'dig up the patio and re-lay it with a hallowe'en skeleton in the foundations'

There's two here and in our last house the one under the dining room extension is riding an MZ Motorbike.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Every time I have used 'tradespeople ' to do anything at home I end up wishing I hadn't .  Not everything thing I do DIY is perfect but feck me at least I own a spirit level which quite obviously is not the case with many of the chancers I have encountered .
I was really busy at work a few years ago and a guy at the golf club owned a window replacement company . The cash deal was agreed over a few beers and he sent his team around to start work . Now you don't want to embarass a guy looking to be a future club captain but lets just say they were not invited back for a second day . 

But  from experiance I stay away from anything thats connected to a meter ,anything else is doable 

Borchester

I know that this is just clickbait and it is just a trick to sell all my personal details to a Nigerian con artist, but who the hell hasn't managed this stuff at some time ?

Jesus Christ, spend £5 on the Readers Digest Manual of DIY and you can build Tower Bridge

https://lifehacker.com/five-home-renovations-never-worth-doing-yourself-1850848046?utm_source=pocket-newtab-en-gb
Algerie Francais !