Has everyone survived the storm and rain OK?

Started by papasmurf, November 04, 2023, 01:49:40 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 05, 2023, 12:26:11 PM
Thats right along the south coast ,not the whole country that had the weather warning
I am fully aware of that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on November 05, 2023, 11:26:04 AM
It was all along the South coast, not just Cornwall. (Don't you watch news bulletins?)
Thats right along the south coast ,not the whole country that had the weather warning 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 05, 2023, 10:51:44 AM
Same here Nick ,(well 18 degrees ) the BBC even had to start telling us of gales in Jersey (The weather forecast never covers Jersey) to warrant the storm warning

Sounds like Papa had it a bit windy but that's nothing new down his part of the world
It was all along the South coast, not just Cornwall. (Don't you watch news bulletins?)

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on November 05, 2023, 04:39:47 AM
I saw no storm, 28 degrees and not even a leaf blew. 😜
Same here Nick ,(well 18 degrees ) the BBC even had to start telling us of gales in Jersey (The weather forecast never covers Jersey) to warrant the storm warning 

Sounds like Papa had it a bit windy but that's nothing new down his part of the world 

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on November 04, 2023, 05:17:05 PM
What storm ?

Honestly its an embarrassment that the weather forecasters in this country had half the country in lock down because of the 'storm' warning . It was nothing of the sort , rained a bit ,little bit windy but nothing out of the ordinary . People stayed at home for no reason at all ,OK the coast looked a bit rough but feck me how many people live on the beach ?
I saw no storm, 28 degrees and not even a leaf blew. 😜 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

What storm ?

I don't know where you live but it got too dangerous to go outside, and more or less everything stopped because the majority of main roads and many minor roads were blocked with fallen trees. (There are still people without electricity.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: HDQQ on November 04, 2023, 05:32:30 PM
We were in the middle of the storm, the 'eye', so although it got a bit blowy and wet, nothing like what people elsewhere suffered. It's better that the forecasters are over-cautious than the opposite, as we know from 1987.
Is it ?   What they have to do is get it right ,all this worst case scenario forecasting costs money with lost production . Building sites across the country would have spent Wednesday afternoon making sure everything was nailed down ,scaffolding checked and double clipped and the workers told not to bother coming in till Monday . For what ,a couple of showers .

HDQQ

What storm ?

Honestly its an embarrassment that the weather forecasters in this country had half the country in lock down because of the 'storm' warning . It was nothing of the sort , rained a bit ,little bit windy but nothing out of the ordinary . People stayed at home for no reason at all ,OK the coast looked a bit rough but feck me how many people live on the beach ?
We were in the middle of the storm, the 'eye', so although it got a bit blowy and wet, nothing like what people elsewhere suffered. It's better that the forecasters are over-cautious than the opposite, as we know from 1987.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Streetwalker

What storm ?

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2023, 03:00:00 PM
The Guy Fawkes  night here was at the football club last night. There a two others at nearby villages tonight.

To be honest, I am just being cheap.

I have a pile of broken fencing and assorted prunings that I want to get rid of and I don't want to hire the usual man with a van, dealing with the council is a pain in the arse and worst of all, the dustmen are too cowardly to accept a bung. So I will rely on the forbearance of my neighbours, who will endure one smoky bonfire a year.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on November 04, 2023, 02:15:23 PM
The rain is ok per sec. The problem is that I could not go anywhere because the scooter kept shorting out, so spent four days sitting inside practising to be a mushroom. A couple of times I sat outside in the rain which was not too bad, but then one of nurses came out of the clinic and asked if I was alright. I said I was because my skin was waterproof, but I went inside because the lass had a kind heart but a limited sense of humour.

But yesterday I got a cab to the allotment, splashed around in the mud, achieved sod all, but had fun. Now I am sitting on top of the radiator and preparing to go to the rural slum and prepare the bonfire for Guy Fawkes night. :)
The Guy Fawkes  night here was at the football club last night. There a two others at nearby villages tonight.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on November 04, 2023, 01:49:40 PM
Apart from a slight amount of water coming though the backdoor when it gusted to force 11 on the Beaufort scale and was heaving down with rain, and the back garden being rearranged a bit we had no problem. No-one injured or killed locally.

The rain is ok per sec. The problem is that I could not go anywhere because the scooter kept shorting out, so spent four days sitting inside practising to be a mushroom. A couple of times I sat outside in the rain which was not too bad, but then one of nurses came out of the clinic and asked if I was alright. I said I was because my skin was waterproof, but I went inside because the lass had a kind heart but a limited sense of humour.

But yesterday I got a cab to the allotment, splashed around in the mud, achieved sod all, but had fun. Now I am sitting on top of the radiator and preparing to go to the rural slum and prepare the bonfire for Guy Fawkes night. :)
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Apart from a slight amount of water coming though the backdoor when it gusted to force 11 on the Beaufort scale and was heaving down with rain, and the back garden being rearranged a bit we had no problem. No-one injured or killed locally.