minister apologises as new veteran card not classed as valid as voter ID

Started by papasmurf, May 02, 2024, 06:17:36 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 04, 2024, 12:23:44 PM
It does not matter who you are, no photo ID no vote. I suspect it made the officials day.
I suspect he did it on purpose , never miss the chance of a bit of free publicity and maybe fuel for another chapter in the next book 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on May 04, 2024, 10:47:59 AM
Just as an aside, were the people in the polling station unable to recognise Boris?
If someone else with similar looks had arrive with his ID would they have been satisfied?
Surely the whole point is to identify the voter on the list, most people could recognise the bumbling clown from 100 yards.
It does not matter who you are, no photo ID no vote. I suspect it made the officials day.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Just as an aside, were the people in the polling station unable to recognise Boris?
If someone else with similar looks had arrive with his ID would they have been satisfied?
Surely the whole point is to identify the voter on the list, most people could recognise the bumbling clown from 100 yards.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on May 02, 2024, 07:56:43 PM
Well, i went to vote, and i handed over that free voter id form the electoral registration office gave you if you asked HARD - and not only was i the only one they'd seen hand one of those over all day, they DIDN'T know what to do with it and had to ring up to ask the returning officer !! Priceless !!
You could make this up:-

Boris Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting ID - BBC News

Former Conservative Prime Minister Boris Johnson was turned away from his local polling station after forgetting to bring acceptable photo ID.

As first reported by Sky News, he returned later with the necessary ID and was able to vote.

johnofgwent

Well, i went to vote, and i handed over that free voter id form the electoral registration office gave you if you asked HARD - and not only was i the only one they'd seen hand one of those over all day, they DIDN'T know what to do with it and had to ring up to ask the returning officer !! Priceless !!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on May 02, 2024, 06:39:27 PM
You seem to have a thing about this.
It's not that hard.
Here's the list:

If anyone decided to go with something not on the list, they're an idiot.
It is not just me who has a "thing" about voter ID.

Millions of missing voters urged to register before deadline | Electoral Commission

With only one week left to register to vote for the local elections in England and Wales, the Electoral Commission is reminding voters that they must be registered to ensure their voice is heard on 2 May. 

The deadline to register is midnight on Tuesday 16 April
Around 44 million people are estimated to be eligible to vote at this year's May elections in England and Wales. Yet as many as seven million people are either incorrectly registered or missing from the register entirely. 
This is more than the combined adult population of Scotland and Wales, and would be equivalent in number to more than 100 UK Parliament constituencies.

Barry

You seem to have a thing about this.
It's not that hard.
Here's the list:

• a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • a driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
  • a UK passport
  • a passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • a Blue Badge
  • a biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
  • a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • a Voter Authority Certificate
  • an Anonymous Elector's Document
You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:
If anyone decided to go with something not on the list, they're an idiot.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I knew voter ID was going to cause problems:

Veterans' Affairs minister apologises as new veteran card not classed as valid voter ID (forces.net)

A former Army officer has received an apology from Veterans' Affairs Minister Johnny Mercer after the veteran was turned away and left "gutted" as his new veteran card was not legally classed as a voting ID.
Voting is under way in England and Wales for the 2024 local elections and in-person voters must show one of the 22 accepted forms of identification, but that doesn't include the [color=var(--c-primary)]new veteran ID card[/iurl].[/font][/size][/color]
The card provides a memento of service whilst maintaining a tangible link to the Armed Forces, also allowing veterans to easily verify their service to the NHS, local authority and charities, enabling them to access support and services where needed.