UK city announces plans to be 'smartphone-free' for under 14 year olds

Started by GBNews, May 23, 2024, 05:16:57 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 23, 2024, 08:19:39 AM
There is poor to no signal where I live and 300 metres South is a "not spot." There are a number of "not spots," in the area, which also means smart meters don't work either. Unless you have a satellite phone, you are out of luck.
Which accounts for the queue of tourists outside the only phone box left.
As I say the kids will find a way .Maybe ask one what phone they are using for some pointers . 

But anyway I don't think this effects you ,its about kids having smartphones not the signal strength in Helston or tourists 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 23, 2024, 08:09:00 AM
The kids are up on technology Papa and use the latest stuff and the provider with the best signal . No signal for you doesn't mean there is no signal
There is poor to no signal where I live and 300 metres South is a "not spot." There are a number of "not spots," in the area, which also means smart meters don't work either. Unless you have a satellite phone, you are out of luck.
Which accounts for the queue of tourists outside the only phone box left.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on May 23, 2024, 07:58:22 AM
More often than not there is no mobile signal where I live, (or none at all in some areas.)
The kids are up on technology Papa and use the latest stuff and the provider with the best signal . No signal for you doesn't mean there is no signal

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on May 23, 2024, 07:19:48 AM
Seems about right though I would ban phones from schools full stop  .
More often than not there is no mobile signal where I live, (or none at all in some areas.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Seems about right though I would ban phones from schools full stop  . 

GBNews

UK city announces plans to be 'smartphone-free' for under 14 year olds

A city in the UK has announced plans to become the first British city to go smartphone-free for children under 14.

Headteachers in St Albans are urging parents to postpone buying their children a device.

In a joint letter, the Heads of the St Albans primary schools consortium wrote: "We encourage all parents to delay giving children a smartphone until they reach the age of 14, opting instead for a text/call phone alternative if necessary.

"As head teachers, we have committed to promoting our own schools as smartphone-free.

School boy on his phone

"We believe we can all work together across St Albans and join the growing movement across the country to change the 'normal' age that children are given smartphones."

The letter has been signed by 20 of 24 primary schools in the city.

It comes as campaigners raise concerns over WhatsApp lowering its age limit from 16 to 13.

Justine Elbourne-Cload, executive head teacher of Cunningham Hill Schools and chair of the consortium said they have noted "lots of issues" with children joining WhatsApp groups - with some accessing and sharing inappropriate material.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS:

"Our hope is at the very minimum that it would be a shock to see a child under the age of 11, before secondary, with a smartphone [in St Albans]," she told The Times.

"It is far easier if it is the general norm that no children or very few children have smartphones.

"If the norm is they will walk around with old Nokia bricks, that's what everyone will have and that will be fine. Because it always was fine. We're just trying to roll back that age."

The Smartphone Free Childhood campaign has taken off over recent months as concerns grow about online safety and the impact of social media on mental health.

Children on smartphones

Matthew Tavender, head of schools at Cunningham Hill, said there was an issue with "being connected at all times. Children can't escape their peers — this constant connectivity, I think that's a real burden on them."

The county of Hertfordshire began a similar consultation which Elbourne-Cload hopes will have a "snowball effect".

The results of a consultation that would have proposed a social media ban for under-16s have been delayed by the Government.

Source: UK city announces plans to be 'smartphone-free' for under 14 year olds