Reform UK Drops 3 Candidates

Started by Borg Refinery, June 30, 2024, 12:58:49 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 03, 2024, 09:25:24 AM
Jesus papa is your phone on the blink again ?
No, is your cognitive ability failing?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 02, 2024, 06:00:53 PM
It isn't Labour saying it.
Jesus papa is your phone on the blink again ? 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 02, 2024, 05:38:04 PM
What goes around comes around . Labour are the masters of the theory of keep saying it and eventually people will believe you
It isn't Labour saying it.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 02, 2024, 03:21:12 PM
A very nasty smear with zero foundation in fact. I am surprised it has been repeated.
What goes around comes around . Labour are the masters of the theory of keep saying it and eventually people will believe you 

papasmurf

Borg Refinery

All fair in my book, but what candidates are doing right now is what concerns me and what some of them have done recently is still concerning.

+++

Streetwalker

Its been a dirty campaign for sure with the MSM going all in for Labour (as if they needed to) .But generally all this dragging up stuff of what someone said 10-20 years ago or before they even considered standing is a little unfair IMO
We have all said or done things in the past that could be dragged up by the press ,something maybe quite innocent or normal for that time that can be twisted or taken out of context that today would make us look like a wrong un 

I know from my own experience how much trouble parties go to to make sure there is nothing that can be used against them when you put yourself forward .Even in my case for a fledgling UKIP back in the day I was asked what social media I used ,former political party membership ,associates ,activism ect . Was there anything that might be used against me or the party ?

This is where a new(ish) party like Reform has in some respects failed .We knew an election was imminent and they should have had their candidates lined up ,checked , verified and ready to go .It all seemed a bit last minute .com and maybe why the usual checks were at best rushed or incomplete and why they have had to chop a couple of  inappropriate candidates 
There will always be some that slip through the net ;) but do we really want people without a past ,people who have never done anything wrong ,as is said a man who has never done anything wrong has never done anything .

Borg Refinery

Can't see any nails in that image, zoomed out to make sure too

What's the claim about Saville anyway? The DPP thing where Starmer was accused of not prosecuting Saville?

The Telegraph seems to think that didn't have merit either and Boris Johnson himself backtracked on the remarks and accused the CPS as a whole of failing victims, but backtracked on accusing Starmer directly

Daily Telegraph: Fact check: Was Keir Starmer responsible for the CPS failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile?

Not a fan of Labour, but like I said, Boris himself at least partially backtracked on those remarks

If you wanted to go after Labour for that, a certain Labour politician who helped cover up abuse whilst in charge of Islington Council would be a better bet, or the Rotherham cover up with many in Labour involved. That has merit. The CPS as a whole also failed under Labour and mistakes were made by the DPP, but directly accusing him of the Saville thing led to Johnson backtracking

Meanwhile, this is what many in other parties think about victims of child abuse

Boris Johnson: Money Spent Investigating Historical Child Abuse Is "Spaffed Up The Wall" - LBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_FSqfXyUFk

+++

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 02, 2024, 03:05:43 AM
Reuters Fact Check of Image

This is the original

Reeves posted it here: https://x.com/RachelReevesMP/status/1599501123009875971

But let's face it, Labour's leader had beer and drinks during lockdown like Boris did, their candidates came out with openly anti-semitic and pro-Hamas things - they reinstated a certain politician just the other day despite her anti-semitic remarks, they come out with anti-Palestinian things and were found guilty of institutional islamophobia as well as anti-semitism - etc etc etc so I'm not really disagreeing with the gist. They also had members of Labour who worked in organisations that enabled the paedophile information exchange in the 1970s, so in a way, still as bad as associating with Saville - plus there's just so many other scandals by Labour - and their policies aren't any different to the Tories' any way, so I won't bother defending them. They let Elphicke into the party..

None of which makes what Reform UK did OK
The fact Reuters had to fact check it makes me laugh, you can see the nails where thy nailed his head on lol  
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Reuters Fact Check of Image

This is the original

Reeves posted it here: https://x.com/RachelReevesMP/status/1599501123009875971

But let's face it, Labour's leader had beer and drinks during lockdown like Boris did, their candidates came out with openly anti-semitic and pro-Hamas things - they reinstated a certain politician just the other day despite her anti-semitic remarks, they come out with anti-Palestinian things and were found guilty of institutional islamophobia as well as anti-semitism - etc etc etc so I'm not really disagreeing with the gist. They also had members of Labour who worked in organisations that enabled the paedophile information exchange in the 1970s, so in a way, still as bad as associating with Saville - plus there's just so many other scandals by Labour - and their policies aren't any different to the Tories' any way, so I won't bother defending them. They let Elphicke into the party..

None of which makes what Reform UK did OK
+++

Nick

Is Labour going to drop these two?

Borg Refinery

No use arguing that point against me, the establishment stitched up Farage in the by-election in 2015 and even got fined for cheating the election IIRC

What amazed and surprised me [not really] is, even after that, the Brexit Party decided to form an election pact with the Tories in the 2019 election ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Such is the state of modern politics

As for mainstream media telly stations in general; the less said about GM TV the better - they seem to court controversy and want a good argument to attract more viewers rather than a good debate, but that's what most channels are like these days, IMHO gone are the days of Paxman, Tim Sebastian etc

The regrettable part (as in it's regrettable that people would vote like this) is the public probably would vote for Reform UK in even bigger droves if they kept these candidates on rather than suspending them, so they're probably actually hurting their electoral prospects by suspending them

Plenty of scandal in Labour and Tory benches among their MPs which isn't being picked upon quite as much, prob LD too if I could be bothered to look

I think it's fairly clear the majority of the MSM is ultra-solidly behind Labour this time round

The most disturbing thing I personally saw about Reform UK though, was this (from a right wing source, not a lefty one)

Nearly one in ten Reform candidates are Facebook 'friends' with fascist leader Gary Raikes - as one election hopeful claimed Britain would be 'far better' if it had 'taken Hitler up on his offer of neutrality' (Daily Mail)

Also reported by the Times (original posters of the story), Telegraph etc.

+++

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on June 30, 2024, 12:58:49 AM
Sky News
Just seen an interview between Nigel Farage,  Suzanna Reid and Ed Balls on GM TV. If anyone thinks that the established media, political parties are not trying to destroy Reform you are off your rocker. I've never seen any TV station trying to do a number on a party like that in my life, it was disgraceful. Farage was asked the same question 3 times, but unlike other politicians he answered it 3 times, problem was they didn't like the answer. CH4, BBC, and ITV, they're all trying to stitch up Reform. 

Borg Refinery

QuoteReform UK has withdrawn support from three of its parliamentary candidates as the racism row engulfing the party continues to grow.

The party led by Nigel Farage is no longer supporting Edward Oakenfull, who is standing in Derbyshire Dales, Robert Lomas, a candidate in Barnsley North, and Leslie Lilley, standing in Southend East and Rochford, after alleged comments made by them emerged in the media.

Sky News
+++