Starmer Accused Of Hypocrisy For Flying To Euros Final In Private Jet

Started by Borg Refinery, July 15, 2024, 11:07:41 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 16, 2024, 07:57:06 PM
Well done for Googling that after I did all the donkey work.
I thought the start date for it being a government aircraft was important.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 16, 2024, 07:47:57 PM
I used FlightRadar24 to track back.
And I messed up. I have now found the aircraft which took off at 14:30 GMT from Stansted on the 1.5 hour flight to Berlin.
A321 registration G-GBNI
Designated United Kingdom Government
Designated KRH645
Operator Titan Airways
So already a government aircraft before the Labour government.
Government of the United Kingdom (planespotters.net)

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 16, 2024, 07:27:49 PM
 I doubt every single one of those stories about him is fake, as papa would probably want us to believe

I don't want you to believe anything. All I ask for is hard evidence to back up the Torygraph news item. (For a start they may be confusing private jet with charter flight which had spare seats.)

Barry

Quote from: Borg Refinery on July 16, 2024, 07:27:49 PM
Interesting, maybe they excised that from the flight records for national security reasons? But like you said, the story could well be fake, that's why I used the derogatory term 'Torygraph' to outline my opposition to the paper.

Nonetheless, he has been using private jets to fly to other places, from other things I've been reading. I doubt every single one of those stories about him is fake, as papa would probably want us to believe

One hilarious example here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/31/starmer-admits-he-flew-by-private-jet-to-clean-energy-jobs-rally-in-scotland
I used FlightRadar24 to track back.
And I messed up. I have now found the aircraft which took off at 14:30 GMT from Stansted on the 1.5 hour flight to Berlin.
A321 registration G-GBNI
Designated United Kingdom Government
Designated KRH645
Operator Titan Airways
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry on July 16, 2024, 02:46:39 PM
Edit: I've tried to find a flight leaving Stansted for Berlin at 15:30 on Saturday and none shows. Either the details are incorrect or the whole story is false?

Interesting, maybe they excised that from the flight records for national security reasons? But like you said, the story could well be fake, that's why I used the derogatory term 'Torygraph' to outline my opposition to the paper.

Nonetheless, he has been using private jets to fly to other places, from other things I've been reading. I doubt every single one of those stories about him is fake, as papa would probably want us to believe

One hilarious example here: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/may/31/starmer-admits-he-flew-by-private-jet-to-clean-energy-jobs-rally-in-scotland

QuoteKeir Starmer has admitted he used a private jet to travel to a campaign rally in Scotland where he promised to create "tens of thousands" of clean energy jobs with a new publicly owned energy company in the country.
Responding to media questions after speaking to activists in Greenock, Inverclyde, Starmer said: "We did use a private jet because we did need to get very quickly to [color=var(--article-link-text)]Scotland[/iurl] from Wales yesterday and it was the most efficient form of transport in the middle of a very busy general election campaign."[/font][/size][/color]

He added: "We offset the carbon, we always do when we use transport in the air, but it is a practical situation because I need to get across the country to speak to as many people as possible, and when time is tight we need to do it as efficiently as possible."

+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: patman post on July 16, 2024, 05:40:42 PM
The accusation is probably true. But if he hadn't gone, he'd likely be called unpatriotic.

Besides, were there last minute commercial flights to Berlin available seats for Starmer and his necessary security and other entourage...?

A reasonable point.

My only gripe is that he slated Sunak for same, when Sunak has the same concerns you outline above.
+++

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 16, 2024, 04:31:52 PM
The suspect the whole story is false. The amount of bullshine and bollocks coming from the right wing press and infesting social media and Youtube is getting beyond stupid.
The accusation is probably true. But if he hadn't gone, he'd likely be called unpatriotic.

Besides, were there last minute commercial flights to Berlin available seats for Starmer and his necessary security and other entourage...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Edit: I've tried to find a flight leaving Stansted for Berlin at 15:30 on Saturday and none shows. Either the details are incorrect or the whole story is false?
The suspect the whole story is false. The amount of bullshine and bollocks coming from the right wing press and infesting social media and Youtube is getting beyond stupid.

Nick

If it is privately chartered it becomes a private jet.

Don't the Rolling Stones and John Travolta both own PRIVATE 747's?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on July 16, 2024, 07:08:13 AM
An Airbus A-321 is hardly a private jet. I suspect the Torygraph is poo stirring.
If it is privately chartered it becomes a private jet.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

An Airbus A-321 is hardly a private jet. I suspect the Torygraph is poo stirring.

Borg Refinery

QuoteSir Keir Starmer has been accused of hypocrisy after flying to watch the final of the European Championships in a private jet – despite criticising Rishi Sunak for doing the same.
The Prime Minister flew from London Stansted to Berlin in an Airbus A-321 at 3.30pm on Sunday and returned the same night after watching England lose to Spain.
But in January 2024, Sir Keir attacked Mr Sunak for using private jets, saying he "doesn't get" what the public think because "the view on the ground is very different to that from his private jet".
Labour also criticised the use of private flights by Boris Johnson and Liz Truss when they were in office.
Elliot Keck, head of campaigns at the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: "Taxpayers will be disappointed to see yet another politician failing to walk the walk.
"Labour rightly hammered the last government on its frequently lax attitude towards waste and excess, yet it's allowing standards to slip right off the bat.
"Starmer should hold himself to the standards he set for the last government – a no-nonsense attitude towards waste."
During the election, Sir Keir used a private jet to fly from Wales to Scotland on the same day that he criticised Mr Sunak for flying in a helicopter.
A Downing Street spokesman said on Monday morning that the flight, the cost of which is yet to be disclosed, was chosen with "value for money for taxpayers" and "ministerial time" in mind.
"The Government is committed to always delivering value for money for taxpayers," the spokesman said.
"As you know, decisions on travel are always taken with that in mind in relation to ministerial time and delivering value for money."

Daily Torygraph

As usual, Sir Keir Knight Of the Realm Starmer lauds it over the silly paysans

He's still not made amends for Beergate, while accusing Boris and co of breaking lockdown, which they did
+++