Hungry birds in my back garden.

Started by papasmurf, July 20, 2024, 08:26:39 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2024, 10:13:39 PM
It's certainly best not to deliberately feed wood pigeons. They can find their own.

I am not feeding the wood pigeons. They are too big to access the food in the feeders. The villages seem to be infested with them, and the collared doves, and various types of corvid. I don't see magpies very often.
Oddly no many gulls.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2024, 10:13:39 PM
It's certainly best not to deliberately feed wood pigeons. They can find their own.

While we're on birds, if you have a Smart phone, try the "Merlin" app which can ID birds from their sounds using your phone mike.
If you can hear them lol, I can just about hear the tick of a Wren, my hearing is pretty 💩 due to years in industry. I'll never admit that to the wife though. Ha ha 🤣 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

While we're on birds, if you have a Smart phone, try the "Merlin" app which can ID birds from their sounds using your phone mike.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 20, 2024, 09:28:59 PM
Ive spent the morning cleaning the Pigeon shit off the hopper that they try nesting in . Anyone feeding those bastards around here will get their future read to them
We don't actually feed them, we put food out for the whole community. I apologise, I got it wrong, they are Collared Doves that come to our buffet, not flying Rats. The Doves don't seem to soil the patio as I recall, not that I'm actually ever there. 

Streetwalker

Ive spent the morning cleaning the Pigeon shit off the hopper that they try nesting in . Anyone feeding those bastards around here will get their future read to them 

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 20, 2024, 08:26:39 PM
I have increased the number of bird feeders in my back garden to three due to an increase in bird numbers. They have eaten a 12.5 kilo bag of wild bird seed in five days. I will have to go an replenish supplies tomorrow morning.
(Other neighbours  having a similar "problem.")
The feeders I have will only let small birds feed. Other than small birds a largish number of various Corvids have turned up including Jackdaws.  Then there are pigeons and collared doves.
My back garden is a bit of a jungle.
Who puts over 2Kg of bird seed out every day? We have a load of Wood Pigeons that come every day and a sack of seed lasts at least a month. 

Nick

Quote from: Barry on July 20, 2024, 08:41:17 PM
That's a lot of seed.
Our feeders have seed, sunflower hearts, niger seeds and fat balls. The sunflower hearts have up to 8 goldfinches at a time. We love them.
Other birds are blue tits, great tits, jackdaws, crows, an odd sparrow. We also had 2 green woodpeckers this morning but they don't eat off the feeders, they eat ants on the grass.
My wife found a Jay's feather under the feeders last week, but we've not seen one in the garden.
If you have Jay's the other birds will soon bugger off, they are nasty pieces of work. 

Barry

That's a lot of seed.
Our feeders have seed, sunflower hearts, niger seeds and fat balls. The sunflower hearts have up to 8 goldfinches at a time. We love them.
Other birds are blue tits, great tits, jackdaws, crows, an odd sparrow. We also had 2 green woodpeckers this morning but they don't eat off the feeders, they eat ants on the grass.
My wife found a Jay's feather under the feeders last week, but we've not seen one in the garden.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

I have increased the number of bird feeders in my back garden to three due to an increase in bird numbers. They have eaten a 12.5 kilo bag of wild bird seed in five days. I will have to go an replenish supplies tomorrow morning.
(Other neighbours  having a similar "problem.")
The feeders I have will only let small birds feed. Other than small birds a largish number of various Corvids have turned up including Jackdaws.  Then there are pigeons and collared doves.
My back garden is a bit of a jungle.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe