Start Knitting!

Started by T00ts, July 29, 2024, 05:15:05 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 31, 2024, 09:53:18 AM
We have already had 14 years of it.
Working people had it OK under the Tories and the dossers around here have seemed to be alright apart from when the fuel went up in cost and they all started moaning that they couldn't afford to pay it . But that's just life ,good times and bad times , The trouble is some people don't save for rainy days and that's a problem of modern society not who is in government .

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 31, 2024, 09:12:59 AM
 get used to it we have 5 years of this to go .
We have already had 14 years of it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on July 30, 2024, 11:04:07 AM
Up to now unless things change in the near future Labour are appearing to be as big a shower of bastards as the Tories.
The labour party are the political wing of the public sector .They are there to serve them and nobody else .If you are in you are in if you are out you are nobody , get used to it we have 5 years of this to go .

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 30, 2024, 07:29:22 PM
The government can also scrap the pointless £10 Christmas payment whilst they are at it.
They already have. 

Barry

The government can also scrap the pointless £10 Christmas payment whilst they are at it.
It must cost loads to administer these payments. Although the less than £250 million it would save might be considered peanuts to Rachel Reeve.
They might be considered Scrooges.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2024, 12:31:56 PM
This is just a pointless headline, it uses the word evasion and then goes on about avoidance schemes, which are not illegal 
Nick I don't know where you have been for the last few years, but more and more "avoidance," schemes have been found to be on close inspection, evasion. Which is why HMRC is now going after the designers of such schemes.
(That is all in the link, that you either did not read it of could not understand it is not my problem.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 30, 2024, 09:03:22 AMHMRC fines zero 'enablers' of offshore tax evasion in five... | TBIJ (thebureauinvestigates.com)
This is just a pointless headline, it uses the word evasion and then goes on about avoidance schemes, which are not illegal and the government can do nothing about.
Seeing as you seem clueless to the difference I'll explain it to you.
Evasion is not paying the tax that you owe.
Avoidance is doing things that limit the amount of tax you owe.

So, where is you list of companies or people that are evading tax? Not avoiding tax.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 30, 2024, 10:49:48 AM

There will be many who are just above the pension credit line (Its why they set it where it is) with modest savings that will not get a penny . These are not wealthy people that just get by . For me its a bad policy ,the wealthy  who Labour are trying to punish won't miss £200 even if they do claim it which many of them don't
You may be interested in this petition. (I have already signed it.)

https://act.38degrees.org.uk/act/change-to-winter-fuel-allowance?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast47143

Petition text
Don't scrap the Winter Fuel Allowance for millions of struggling pensioners just as energy bills are about to increase AGAIN.

Why is this important?
Chancellor Rachel Reeves has announced that Winter Fuel Allowance will be limited to the poorest households. But experts, from leading charities to finance guru Martin Lewis, have spoken out against these changes, warning they could hit up to two million struggling older people who desperately need the help, and that  the new restrictions are too narrow.

Reeves blamed the previous government's economic management for the decision, and will be watching the public's reaction carefully today to see how it lands. That means if all of us come together NOW, we can make it clear that this was the wrong choice - and force her to back down.

Add your name now!

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 30, 2024, 10:49:48 AM

There will be many who are just above the pension credit line (Its why they set it where it is) with modest savings that will not get a penny . These are not wealthy people that just get by . For me its a bad policy ,the wealthy  who Labour are trying to punish won't miss £200 even if they do claim it which many of them don't
Up to now unless things change in the near future Labour are appearing to be as big a shower of bastards as the Tories. 

Streetwalker

There will be many who are just above the pension credit line (Its why they set it where it is) with modest savings that will not get a penny . These are not wealthy people that just get by . For me its a bad policy ,the wealthy  who Labour are trying to punish won't miss £200 even if they do claim it which many of them don't 

papasmurf

I would like to point out £billions in benefits are not claimed, pension credit being one of them. (The latter by an estimated 1 million pensioners.)  More info here:-

Missing out 2024: £23 billion of support is unclaimed each year - Policy in Practice

T00ts

I watched Rachel Reeves' in the Commons last night on the news and up to now I had her down as a fairly well organised woman who might be a reasonable Chancellor mostly because I have always felt Hunt was a bit of a wet fish. Sadly her performance was cold as ice and hard with it. I think she will be trouble she has been given the power of her dreams, forget Starmer he will simply do as he is told!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on July 30, 2024, 12:05:04 AM
You have no idea what is being evaded, 
Nick a fair number of "Mickey Mouse," "avoidance" schemes have been found out. (Well publicised and high profile.) As for evasion whether YOU believe it or not it is on an industrial scale other countries have done something about it.
HMRC were handed the evidence on a platter, (discs,) years ago and have taken very little action. 

Lists of "avoiders":-
Current list of named tax avoidance schemes, promoters, enablers and suppliers - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Relevant article:-  scroll down to bar chart.

HMRC fines zero 'enablers' of offshore tax evasion in five... | TBIJ (thebureauinvestigates.com)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on July 29, 2024, 09:17:13 PM
The problem is the vast amount of tax being "evaded," and avoided on an industrial scale. I knew the Tories would do nothing about that. It remains to be seen is Labour does anything.
You have no idea what is being evaded, and as you've been told many times tax avoidance is perfectly legal. For the 23/24 tax year I was in the U.K. a total of 53 days, making me non-dom for tax purposes. I paid zero personal tax thank you very much. 
The clue is that nobody knows how much is not being paid, well nobody except you. lol
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

I went for my click and collect shop tonight and the chap who packed for me I have known for a while and as usual we got chatting. I hadn't seen him for a while and he told me he had been in Australia, loved it but was 2 years through his degree so had decided to finish it then probably go back and commented that most of his friends at Uni (Bristol) were planning to do the same. 

Nice chap, very pleasant but the draw was the sun, more money, better life:work balance, friendly people and up and coming rather than here which he felt was dead beat. I guess he made me feel that rather than put his shoulder to the wheel he saw down under as an easy life. He is prepared to leave family etc behind. 

As time goes on and Labour try out their 'radical' reform of this country, as happened before, the brains, talent and the money will quietly slip away to places that offer a better future. Labour will then be glad of any votes regardless of age. They thought Truss was a disaster, just give this shambles their heads and stand back in awe. Truss will seem a genius.