Start Knitting!

Started by T00ts, July 29, 2024, 05:15:05 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 13, 2024, 10:06:18 PM
Because of the durations an MP (especially a front bench MP) has to be in London.  She's far from alone in having a second home in London as a way of meeting those commitments and having some sort of family life.

They spend maximum 4 nights a week in London, what are talking about duration? Are you saying hotel costs are more than buying a property in London? If you are you are deluded. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2024, 11:37:33 AM
Why can't she use a hotel same as I do when I go to London.
Because of the durations an MP (especially a front bench MP) has to be in London.  She's far from alone in having a second home in London as a way of meeting those commitments and having some sort of family life.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 13, 2024, 11:37:33 AM
That question applies to ALL MPs with distant constituencies.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 12, 2024, 10:01:40 PM
We paid it whenever and for as long as the circumstances made it fair.  One was for over 3 years.  If we didn't pay it we never got the right people to accept the detachments.

Reeves with a Leeds constituency has to have an extra home as part of her London based job.  The employer paying fair bills for that extra cost is fair. 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2024, 07:52:48 PM
As yours is a bit twisted, employees only tend to get that kind of subsistence when on an overseas short term consignment. Not once have I ever heard of a company writing into a domestic contract that they will pay domestic bills. . . 
We paid it whenever and for as long as the circumstances made it fair.  One was for over 3 years.  If we didn't pay it we never got the right people to accept the detachments. 

Reeves with a Leeds constituency has to have an extra home as part of her London based job.  The employer paying fair bills for that extra cost is fair.  

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nick on September 11, 2024, 07:52:48 PM
As yours is a bit twisted, employees only tend to get that kind of subsistence when on an overseas short term consignment. Not once have I ever heard of a company writing into a domestic contract that they will pay domestic bills.

Im so glad  these fictional people Labour kept pulling out of the hat have  come back to haunt them . Labour 2024 found out by the ghost of nobody .

Nick

Quote from: patman post on September 11, 2024, 02:55:29 PM
Bit of twisted comparing here — many organisations reimburse employees for any additional expenditures they incur through doing their job. Sometimes these may cover full living expenses.

Rachel Reeves is not yet a pensioner, and her expense claims are likely to be carefully scrutinized by whoever passes them.

So far, I'd rather Reeves was doing her job rather than any of the incompetent crew who crashed the economy, caused mortgage and interest rates to rise, and caused inflation to run so high that the cost of living crisis is far from over for many working people who are not getting the large increases in income pensioners are getting...
As yours is a bit twisted, employees only tend to get that kind of subsistence when on an overseas short term consignment. Not once have I ever heard of a company writing into a domestic contract that they will pay domestic bills.

patman post

Quote from: Barry on September 11, 2024, 10:41:28 AM
Rachel Reeves claimed £4,400 of taxpayer cash towards her energy bills before axing winter fuel payments for millions of pensioners.
Bit of twisted comparing here — many organisations reimburse employees for any additional expenditures they incur through doing their job. Sometimes these may cover full living expenses.

Rachel Reeves is not yet a pensioner, and her expense claims are likely to be carefully scrutinized by whoever passes them.

So far, I'd rather Reeves was doing her job rather than any of the incompetent crew who crashed the economy, caused mortgage and interest rates to rise, and caused inflation to run so high that the cost of living crisis is far from over for many working people who are not getting the large increases in income pensioners are getting...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Rachel Reeves claimed £4,400 of taxpayer cash towards her energy bills before axing winter fuel payments for millions of pensioners.

† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 04, 2024, 03:25:40 AM
In 1990 i started what would be 25 years of freelance contracting with a 24 month stint at a satcomms company. One of our customers was Oz Sat. Their Project Manager offered to sponsor several of our people sent to Perth to install our kit to stay and as a result about a third of the team did not return

although i remained in the UK Caroline the Project Manager invited me to apply to emigrate. I sent in the application for the initial part of the process. On the day you had to get a score of 120 or above

i scored about three times that but i was a graduate scientist with postgraduate science experience, had experience of teaching, had expertise in two areas they declared of particular interest and was supported by a Caroline's offer of a job.

Moira decided she could not leave her dad alone in the UK

During the Y2K ramp up i worked with a chap from Oz over here

He told me of his wife and kids back home in a massive place on the beach half way up the eastern coast, right on the barrier reef

Strewth Darren what the hell are you doing working in Farnham i said

'because there are no bloody jobs in Oz' he said
Don't understand your point. Unemployment in Australia is currently 4%. UK unemployment is 4.4%.
Having worked in NSW and Queensland for a couple of months (and having a sister who's been living there for years), I reckon it's an easier and less expensive place to live than the UK, even if on a restricted income...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment
https://www.abs.gov.au/statistics/labour/employment-and-unemployment#:~:text=Labour%20Force%2C%20Australia&text=unemployment%20rate%20remained%20at%204.0,population%20ratio%20remained%20at%2064.1%25.

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: T00ts on July 29, 2024, 09:34:16 PM
I went for my click and collect shop tonight and the chap who packed for me I have known for a while and as usual we got chatting. I hadn't seen him for a while and he told me he had been in Australia, loved it but was 2 years through his degree so had decided to finish it then probably go back and commented that most of his friends at Uni (Bristol) were planning to do the same.

Nice chap, very pleasant but the draw was the sun, more money, better life:work balance, friendly people and up and coming rather than here which he felt was dead beat. I guess he made me feel that rather than put his shoulder to the wheel he saw down under as an easy life. He is prepared to leave family etc behind.

As time goes on and Labour try out their 'radical' reform of this country, as happened before, the brains, talent and the money will quietly slip away to places that offer a better future. Labour will then be glad of any votes regardless of age. They thought Truss was a disaster, just give this shambles their heads and stand back in awe. Truss will seem a genius.
In 1990 i started what would be 25 years of freelance contracting with a 24 month stint at a satcomms company. One of our customers was Oz Sat. Their Project Manager offered to sponsor several of our people sent to Perth to install our kit to stay and as a result about a third of the team did not return

although i remained in the UK Caroline the Project Manager invited me to apply to emigrate. I sent in the application for the initial part of the process. On the day you had to get a score of 120 or above

i scored about three times that but i was a graduate scientist with postgraduate science experience, had experience of teaching, had expertise in two areas they declared of particular interest and was supported by a Caroline's offer of a job.

Moira decided she could not leave her dad alone in the UK

During the Y2K ramp up i worked with a chap from Oz over here

He told me of his wife and kids back home in a massive place on the beach half way up the eastern coast, right on the barrier reef

Strewth Darren what the hell are you doing working in Farnham i said

'because there are no bloody jobs in Oz' he said
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: srb7677 on August 02, 2024, 06:08:17 PM
Are you allowing for the effects of inflation or conveniently forgetting them. My hourly rate has doubled in 12 years. Yet my money goes less far than it did back then because of massive inflation of certain costs. notably car insurance, energy, water, and food.

A 23 percent increase in funding is actually a de facto real terms funding cut if it is less than the rate of inflation for that same period.
Nick frankly despite being given chapter and verse about Tory underfunding the NHS is totally blinkered about, it an appears to think I am the only person in Britain who thinks the Tories underfunded the NHS. That despite all the data and expert opinion on the subject:-

Who is to blame for the NHS funding crisis, a funding squeeze is leaving the NHS overwhelmed

Key Facts

• The NHS has experienced a decade of underfunding since 2010, despite cash boosts in 2018 and 2019. Between 2009-2019 the NHS budgets rose on average just 1.4% per year, compared to 3.7% average rises since the NHS was established.
  • The whole NHS budget has not been protected and the result is cuts to frontline services, especially in public health.
  • Nearly half of staff say underfunding stops them doing their job properly - many say its the worst situation they have seen.
  • There is a crisis in the recruitment of staff across the NHS - including too few doctors, midwives, paramedics and nurses.
  • Per head the government spends less on the NHS than many other comparable countries.
  • We have less beds and doctors per head than many comparable countries.
  • Large cuts to social care and mental health have added huge pressure on the NHS as there are not enough services outside of hospital.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 02, 2024, 01:35:06 AM
I know, 2 times 10 isn't 23, that's almost a quarter. So basically the NHS funding increased by 23% over 10 years and that excludes the last 4 years where funding increased dramatically. 20/21 and 20/22 the budget increased by another 25%, so your statement that the Tories don't fund the NHS properly is 💩.
Are you allowing for the effects of inflation or conveniently forgetting them. My hourly rate has doubled in 12 years. Yet my money goes less far than it did back then because of massive inflation of certain costs. notably car insurance, energy, water, and food.

A 23 percent increase in funding is actually a de facto real terms funding cut if it is less than the rate of inflation for that same period.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

HallowedBrexit

Quote from: T00ts on July 29, 2024, 09:34:16 PM
I went for my click and collect shop tonight and the chap who packed for me I have known for a while and as usual we got chatting. I hadn't seen him for a while and he told me he had been in Australia, loved it but was 2 years through his degree so had decided to finish it then probably go back and commented that most of his friends at Uni (Bristol) were planning to do the same.

Nice chap, very pleasant but the draw was the sun, more money, better life:work balance, friendly people and up and coming rather than here which he felt was dead beat. I guess he made me feel that rather than put his shoulder to the wheel he saw down under as an easy life. He is prepared to leave family etc behind.

As time goes on and Labour try out their 'radical' reform of this country, as happened before, the brains, talent and the money will quietly slip away to places that offer a better future. Labour will then be glad of any votes regardless of age. They thought Truss was a disaster, just give this shambles their heads and stand back in awe. Truss will seem a genius.

I agree T00ts. The main reason I voted to leave was to avoid Labour getting in. Now that the catastrophe has happened, the country is going down the drain.

Maggie would be turning in her grave,

srb7677

Quote from: Nick on August 02, 2024, 01:35:06 AM
I know, 2 times 10 isn't 23, that's almost a quarter. So basically the NHS funding increased by 23% over 10 years and that excludes the last 4 years where funding increased dramatically. 20/21 and 20/22 the budget increased by another 25%, so your statement that the Tories don't fund the NHS properly is 💩.
The absolute state of the NHS tells a different story.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.