Roads closed for National celebrations but not ours

Started by T00ts, August 14, 2024, 10:27:22 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 15, 2024, 08:10:17 AM
Make sure to take some pictures of the Indian west coast on the way and happy travels!

This is the story Toots refers to: https://www.gbnews.com/news/london-news-met-police-pakistan-independence-day-football

By the way Toots, you're 3rd gen from whither? Always interesting to hear a bit about ancestry
I have plenty pictures from Kerala, the sea is ferocious ATM due to monsoon season, I'm hoping it's going to be a bit calmer in Goa. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Make sure to take some pictures of the Indian west coast on the way and happy travels!

This is the story Toots refers to: https://www.gbnews.com/news/london-news-met-police-pakistan-independence-day-football

By the way Toots, you're 3rd gen from whither? Always interesting to hear a bit about ancestry
+++

Nick

Quote from: T00ts on August 14, 2024, 10:27:22 PM
Currently being discussed on GB news - Pakistan independence day has seen main roads closed for up to 3 days in order for the local Pakistani community to celebrate, with fireworks and car horns into the early hours.

Why? Surely we have to ask why, if they love their 'homeland' so much, they don't want to live there? Perhaps they would prefer to but have been here for a long time and Pakistan is now no more than a glorified memory. I am 3rd generation but this is my home and I would not dream of celebrating anything to do with my heritage although of course I acknowledge it as part and parcel of who I am.

Is this why true integration has failed?
Not sure how Pakistan can have an Independence Day, they were created in 47 not set free, a creation day maybe but not Independence Day. I am currently in a place called Thiruvananthapuram on my way to Goa, didn't see any roads closed on my way to the airport, seemed quite calm except for Orange, White and Green bunting everywhere. 
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

T00ts

Currently being discussed on GB news - Pakistan independence day has seen main roads closed for up to 3 days in order for the local Pakistani community to celebrate, with fireworks and car horns into the early hours. 

Why? Surely we have to ask why, if they love their 'homeland' so much, they don't want to live there? Perhaps they would prefer to but have been here for a long time and Pakistan is now no more than a glorified memory. I am 3rd generation but this is my home and I would not dream of celebrating anything to do with my heritage although of course I acknowledge it as part and parcel of who I am.

Is this why true integration has failed?