World War Two wreck in Thames Estuary is 'ticking time bomb' amid concerns of 'tsunami risk'

Started by GBNews, August 26, 2024, 01:15:53 AM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 04:00:18 PM
I did not state 7000tons the official report did.
It was 7000 tons of munitions. There appears to be no accurate info as to how much is left.
'There are still approximately 1,400 tons of explosives contained within the forward holds' seems a clear enough statement to ensure urge care is taken whether the amount is 1,000 or 1,800 tons.

What we don't appear to have is a figure for the amount of explosives included in the original 7000 tons of munitions that were originally loaded...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 27, 2024, 05:00:33 PM
You quote the government link and yet you lapse into sad denial that it also says 'There are still approximately 1,400 tons of explosives contained within the forward holds.'

That is just one of many guestimates which vary considerably.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Unlucky4Sum

It was 7000 tons of munitions. There appears to be no accurate info as to how much is left.
You quote the government link and yet you lapse into sad denial that it also says 'There are still approximately 1,400 tons of explosives contained within the forward holds.'

Nick

Now you're just lying. 🤥 

Quote from: papasmurf on August 26, 2024, 06:30:07 PM
It is 7000 tons of munitions, (from the link I posted earlier.)
This is the quote where Smurf DIDN'T say 7000
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 03:37:32 PM
You definitely don't know cause you said it was 7000, a point you still haven't conceded.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 02:43:31 PM
Approximately. (They don't know.)
You definitely don't know cause you said it was 7000, a point you still haven't conceded. 

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 27, 2024, 02:28:18 PM
But the official report also contains the further info:

salvage effort continued until the 25 September, by which time approximately half of the cargo had been successfully removed,
and,

There are still approximately 1,400 tons of explosives contained within the forward holds

I'm quoting exactly from the link you supplied...
Approximately. (They don't know.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 12:22:26 PM
I am NOT attempting to lie and deceive. I posted the link to the government information on the ship. I don't care what the film quoted. ( The BBC program on the Montgomery quotes a different figure, 1400 tonnes, it seems program makers can't make their minds up which is why I posted the official report.)

Explosives-filled shipwreck has safety work delayed as objects found - BBC News
Quote from: papasmurf on August 26, 2024, 06:30:07 PM
It is 7000 tons of munitions, (from the link I posted earlier.)
And you posted this, which is totally wrong, so now you are trying to slime your way out of it as usual. Just admit you're wrong and move on like a real man would. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 27, 2024, 12:09:27 PM
Once again you attempt to lie and deceive, by picking an excerpt from the background information.

Most of the cargo was unloaded before it sank. You should have watched the information video which I posted. The film quotes 1560 tonnes.

I'm pretty much an expert on the Montgomery having attended lectures and studied the log of what occurred. What else would you like to know about the wreck?
I am NOT attempting to lie and deceive. I posted the link to the government information on the ship. I don't care what the film quoted. ( The BBC program on the Montgomery quotes a different figure, 1400 tonnes, it seems program makers can't make their minds up which is why I posted the official report.)

Explosives-filled shipwreck has safety work delayed as objects found - BBC News

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 11:06:11 AM
Nick, I posted the link, as per usual you did not read it:-

SS Richard Montgomery: background information - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

In August 1944 the ship was loaded with a cargo of some 7000 tons of munitions and joined convoy HX-301 bound for the UK and then on to Cherbourg. On arrival in the Thames Estuary, the vessel was directed to anchor in the Great Nore anchorage off Sheerness. The ship was to await the formation of a convoy to continue the journey across the Channel.
Once again you attempt to lie and deceive, by picking an excerpt from the background information.

Most of the cargo was unloaded before it sank. You should have watched the information video which I posted. The film quotes 1560 tonnes.

I'm pretty much an expert on the Montgomery having attended lectures and studied the log of what occurred. What else would you like to know about the wreck? 
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on August 27, 2024, 11:06:11 AM

In August 1944 the ship was loaded with a cargo of some 7000 tons of munitions and joined convoy HX-301 bound for the UK and then on to Cherbourg. On arrival in the Thames Estuary, the vessel was directed to anchor in the Great Nore anchorage off Sheerness. The ship was to await the formation of a convoy to continue the journey across the Channel.
And if you read it you would see that you are WRONG, but as I said are not man enough to admit it, you'd rather hide behind "I posted the link". 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on August 27, 2024, 10:41:03 AM
He's not man enough to admit being wrong, or post evidence.