Record numbers of migrants living in Britain are jobless

Started by papasmurf, August 30, 2024, 12:39:49 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 01, 2024, 10:45:28 AM
That would take a detailed analysis.
GBNews, (the TV version of the Daily Mail has also been on the case:-

Migrant crisis: Britons pay staggering £8billion bill to cover record number of unemployed migrants (gbnews.com)
Yeah, that analysis is dodgy AF. It assumes government spending on "migrants" (however the DM defines them, under one ONS definition Boris Johnson would be a migrant) is the same per head as the average - which is extremely unlikely given the age profiles.

The ONS figures you linked to also need quite alot of caution interpreting as it relates to ethnicity not migration status.

What is known is that certain economic inequities are linked to ethnicity and these bleed through into things like employment rates.

Of course, some bad faith (or simply stupid) commentators will simply use this statistics to imply that non white people or migrants a lazy parasites or similar.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on August 31, 2024, 06:28:43 PM
Latest stats. Far more at link:-

Unemployment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures (ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk)

• the overall unemployment rate in 2022 was 4%
  • 3% of white people were unemployed in 2022, compared with 6% of people from all other ethnic groups combined
  • people from the combined Bangladeshi and Pakistani (9%), Asian 'other' (7%) and black (7%) ethnic groups had the highest unemployment rates out of all ethnic groups
  • white people had the lowest unemployment rates out of all ethnic groups (3%)
  • the unemployment rate for men and women was the same (4%)
  • in every ethnic group, 16 to 24 year olds were more likely to be unemployed than any other age group
  • out of all regions, Yorkshire and the Humber had the highest unemployment rates for people from the mixed (15%), 'other' (15%), and combined Pakistani and Bangladeshi (12%) ethnic groups
So we can agree immigrants weren't taking their jobs? 

papasmurf

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on August 31, 2024, 09:38:33 AM
And the DM wonders why people rioted and tried to burn down a building with people in it.
Latest stats. Far more at link:-

Unemployment - GOV.UK Ethnicity facts and figures (ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk)

• the overall unemployment rate in 2022 was 4%
  • 3% of white people were unemployed in 2022, compared with 6% of people from all other ethnic groups combined
  • people from the combined Bangladeshi and Pakistani (9%), Asian 'other' (7%) and black (7%) ethnic groups had the highest unemployment rates out of all ethnic groups
  • white people had the lowest unemployment rates out of all ethnic groups (3%)
  • the unemployment rate for men and women was the same (4%)
  • in every ethnic group, 16 to 24 year olds were more likely to be unemployed than any other age group
  • out of all regions, Yorkshire and the Humber had the highest unemployment rates for people from the mixed (15%), 'other' (15%), and combined Pakistani and Bangladeshi (12%) ethnic groups

BeElBeeBub

Unsurprisingly the DM doesn't link sources and makes some out of context claims. 

So dataset here https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/a12employmentunemploymentandeconomicinactivitybynationalityandcountryofbirth

This is the most recent dataset relating to employment and nationality.  However the numbers don't exactly match the report but the don't say exactly how they calculated them from the source data. 

The TLDR is that the employment rate for UK and non-UK citizens is broadly the same. (74.3 vs 74.6 if you use country of birth, 74.4 vs 73.9 if you use nationality)

The rates of economic inactivity are actually lower for non UK regardless of definition.

The rates of unemployment are higher for non UK but that means the non UK economically inactive are more likely to class themselves as seeking work than the UK economically inactive.

Finally the calculation of "how much they cost the tax payer" is a pretty crude measure. 

They simply added up certain government costs (including health, a big one) and split it out per head. Clearly this assumes the demands on spending are the same for UK and nonUK which we know is wrong (for example the age profile is much younger for nonUK which directly affects health spending in a big way)

Once again, articles in the DM are clickbait bullshit designed to enrage a certain demographic in this country. 

And the DM wonders why people rioted and tried to burn down a building with people in it. 

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on August 30, 2024, 09:19:38 PM
Nurse come quick!  He's not taken his meds again.

Oh dear Steve, you're defending Neoliberal parties not doing anything about immigration again, whilst also rallying against them not doing enough.

I guess the mainstream media are not taking their meds when they complain about the very same things from the Neoliberal cabal?

Immigration is vital to neoliberalism – but no politician will admit it (Guardian)

QuotePoliticians have had decades to explain that high levels of immigration are part and parcel of neoliberalism, because they offer speedy, few-questions-asked economic growth. For some reason, however, both Labour and the Conservatives have shied away from explaining to "ordinary people" that immigrants provide a steady supply of labour, stopping "ordinary" wages and expectations from getting out of hand. It's a strategy that has placed Britain in the extraordinary position whereby it now has a [color=var(--article-link-text)]record number of people in low-paid jobs[/iurl] amid historically low levels of wage inflation. That's a hard "achievement" for any political party to sell. So they simply don't try. Labour and the Conservatives just carry on blaming each other, while at the same time quietly getting on with the real business of nicking each other's policies.[/font][/size][/color]

All you've got is inane trolling Steve, why not apply for a moderator position at your other site? I hear they're short of mods :)

+++

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Borg Refinery on August 30, 2024, 08:28:56 PM. . .The Neoliberal cabal which feeds of itself as they feed off each other really is lower than sh1t - politicians are indeed lower than the deepest sewer
Nurse come quick!  He's not taken his meds again.

Borg Refinery

I expect the Lab govt has no plans to actually do anything about this but virtue signal while emulating the Tories in terms of failed policy, even though they're skill less in every department

The Neoliberal cabal which feeds of itself as they feed off each other really is lower than sh1t - politicians are indeed lower than the deepest sewer
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2024, 03:18:21 PM

The days of going down the dole office and picking a card off the rack that gave you a start  the next morning are long gone , 
Quite. Back in the late 1980s, early 1990s I had a spell of short term working, with no unemployment. Just visit to the "dole office," pick a card off of the rack, rock up to where the vacancy was with my overalls and tool box and often started work straight away. (They were however jobs where even back then people with the skills to do the work required were like rocking horse poo and Unicorns. Luckily I had the skills needed.)

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 30, 2024, 03:18:21 PM
Its hardly surprising as there is little need for elephant herders in the UK .

Given increasing rates of obesity of those who are retirees, as well as those who need to go for a walk - I'd beg to differ
+++

Streetwalker

Its hardly surprising as there is little need for elephant herders in the UK .

Anyway 

The trouble though is that we have become too regulated after our years in the EU . Every job now comes with the need for some sort of government certificate (which you have to pay for) proving competence in the job you are applying for . 
The days of going down the dole office and picking a card off the rack that gave you a start  the next morning are long gone , even the most menial jobs now need certification and seeing as you don't know what job you can get you are not going to pay sometimes hundreds of pounds on the off chance . So you stay unemployed , pick up some casual cash jobs , its less hassle .

Years ago I did a bit of part time security work at night  to help pay the mortgage .So I was thinking the other day in my recently retired slumber I give the old firm a call and see if I can nick a couple of shifts . Though they were happy to oblige they said I needed to go on a 4 day course at the cost of £200 before I could start earning £14 an hour   . I said I would think about it ???

So I wouldn't say there are record jobless migrants , just record registered unemployed migrants 

papasmurf

Much as it sickens me to quote the Daily Mail, it is no surprise to me as the unemployment rate for some immigrants is as high a 75% (ONS.)

Record numbers of migrants living in Britain are jobless with more than 1.6 million unemployed or 'economically inactive' people costing taxpayers an estimated £8billion | Daily Mail Online

Record numbers of migrants living in Britain are jobless with more than 1.6 million unemployed or 'economically inactive' people costing taxpayers an estimated £8billion
By Martin Beckford, Policy Editor For The Daily Mail
Published: 02:01, 30 August 2024 | Updated: 02:53, 30 August 2024

Record numbers of migrants living in Britain are not working, costing taxpayers an estimated £8 billion, a report warns today.
Official figures show that 1,689,000 non-UK nationals are either unemployed or classed as economically inactive because they are not looking for a job.
The figure for the second quarter of 2024 surpasses the previous high of 1,676,000 recorded at the start of the year, and the 1,628,000 from early in 2012, according to analysis of Office for National Statistics data.