Tory leadership

Started by Streetwalker, September 04, 2024, 05:06:51 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on October 01, 2024, 03:20:44 PMYou can get cream for that.

At least with the nasty party, you can take great joy that there are only 121 of them at the moment.
Labour would be a dictatorship if Starmer knew how to dictate.

It appear that Labour are letting the DWP carry on killing people. However there is a small glimmer of hope. Liz Kendall is as bad if not worse than Tory DWP minister have been BUT  Sir Stephen Timms knows exactly what bastards the DWP and Tory ministers have been for the last 14 years. I would like to be a fly on the wall when those two have a private conversation about the DWP.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on October 01, 2024, 12:18:47 PMI help people who have been abused by the DWP.
You can get cream for that.

At least with the nasty party, you can take great joy that there are only 121 of them at the moment.
Labour would be a dictatorship if Starmer knew how to dictate.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on October 01, 2024, 01:05:46 PMSatire doesn't register on the radar ;)

It's not satire. I'm being serious.

He has helped many people abandoned by the DWP
+++

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 01, 2024, 12:17:19 PMSmurf helps people who are struggling with poverty and who are destitute to get the help they need, he shouldn't be condemned, he simply believes in a different way to the Tories and that's OK
Satire doesn't register on the radar ;)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 01, 2024, 12:17:19 PMSmurf helps people who are struggling with poverty and who are destitute to get the help they need, he shouldn't be condemned, he simply believes in a different way to the Tories and that's OK

I help people who have been abused by the DWP.

Borg Refinery

Smurf helps people who are struggling with poverty and who are destitute to get the help they need, he shouldn't be condemned, he simply believes in a different way to the Tories and that's OK
+++

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on October 01, 2024, 10:03:14 AMNick I have a lot more than 4, I do however have to limit my responses down to the level of the "audience."

I am very stupid and very dumb so didn't even understand those
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 01, 2024, 09:23:40 AMSmurf only has about 4 sentences in his repertoire, someone being nasty was due to be issued sometime soon.

Nick I have a lot more than 4, I do however have to limit my responses down to the level of the "audience."

Nick

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 01, 2024, 09:20:48 AMNope, they are patriots who care about their country. They tried their best during the pandemic and otherwise to help people, they just aren't perfect that's all.
Smurf only has about 4 sentences in his repertoire, someone being nasty was due to be issued sometime soon.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Nope, they are patriots who care about their country. They tried their best during the pandemic and otherwise to help people, they just aren't perfect that's all.
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 01, 2024, 08:22:00 AMThe Tories are good, well-meaning people who want to steer the country back on track, same for soc dems and Reform UK

You really must be joking. The Tories  are nasty, callous, and incompetent.

srb7677

Quote from: Borg Refinery on October 01, 2024, 08:22:00 AMThe Tories are good, well-meaning people who want to steer the country back on track, same for soc dems and Reform UK

Some of them might be. Others are just self-serving crooks.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borg Refinery

The Tories are good, well-meaning people who want to steer the country back on track, same for soc dems and Reform UK
+++

Streetwalker

As we have seen across Europe in recent years the 'hard right' or as I see it anyone right of the social democrats are growing in numbers .The conservatives after years of mismanagement got what they deserved and are trying to reinvent themselves in the shadow of Reform UK with Badenoch and Jenrick doing poor impressions of Lee Anderson .
It shows how irrelevant the tories have become ,'right lite' wont swing it ,the centre left is labours ,they basically have nowhere to go but into Farageland and why would anyone vote for clones and pretenders when you can have the real thing .
The tories are lost which unfortunately gives Labour a hell of a lot of potential voters from the hard left to the borders of the centre right . That even their vote is shrinking says the electorate are probably as confused as the main parties are in finding an identity

srb7677

The problem that the Tories have is the loss of a large chunk of their traditional support to the hard right in the form of Reform. Yet it is unlikely to be able to achieve an electoral victory with the hard right alone. It needs the support of a lot of moderates too, otherwise it risks a long time in the wilderness. How to appeal to both the hard right and the moderates is the big conundrum that they need to work out.

Labour had the mirror image of this problem. How to appeal to both the hard left and the moderates. It solved the problem by falling in behind the moderates, calculating that under our system the left has nowhere viable to go as an alternative. The left are beginning to pose an electoral danger to Labour here in there with the growth of the Greens and pro-Palestinian left wingers. This is damaging them in places but is as yet far from being a full blooded threat.

The problem the Tories have is that if they try and mirror Labour's strategy focussing on retaining the support of the moderates on the assumption that the hard right has nowhere else to go, it would be a dangerous calculation. Because they do have somewhere else to go, Reform, which poses a far more credible threat to the Tories from the right than the as yet disparate elements of the left do to Labour from the left.

This makes for a very tricky conundrum for the Tories. How to appeal to the hard right without putting off the moderates. And how to appeal to the moderates without putting off the hard right
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.