Still needs fixing

Started by BeElBeeBub, September 07, 2024, 10:14:20 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 21, 2024, 08:44:40 AM
Nick British wine has won numerous international prizes, that you don't know that is really not my problem.

I sometimes drink wine, but it is included in the set price of a meal. (Which has zero to do with some UK wines being world class.)
I didn't ask you anything about British wine, but I got your usually worm like answer. I'm going to start calling you Gollum.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 20, 2024, 09:45:50 PM
A) Do you drink wine and B) Hiw much do you pay for a bottle of wine?
Nick British wine has won numerous international prizes, that you don't know that is really not my problem.

I sometimes drink wine, but it is included in the set price of a meal. (Which has zero to do with some UK wines being world class.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2024, 08:31:16 PM
Some of it is World Class.
A) Do you drink wine and B) Hiw much do you pay for a bottle of wine?

papasmurf

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 20, 2024, 07:09:24 PM
And IMHO some of it is almost drinkable. 
Some of it is World Class.

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: papasmurf on September 20, 2024, 10:12:06 AM
Probably however wine has been produced in Britain since then.  . . .
And IMHO some of it is almost drinkable.  Chapel Down near Tenterden did at one time produce a fair enough red for a fat price but they did that by importing grapes from France which was more than a little cheating.   I know some English wines win all sorts of prizes but it's like Blue Nun without all the added sugar.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 20, 2024, 09:34:40 AM
Was this when there was the last episode of climate change and the emperor Claudius thought it might be a good idea to ban chariots and horse drawn carts because the farting horses were causing climate change? :P
Probably however wine has been produced in Britain since then. Latest count is around 1000 vineyards. (Several in Cornwall.)

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 08:30:23 PM
The HSE can only enforce regulations made by government. (They can't make regulations.)
According to Beeb HSE set the limits.

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 19, 2024, 04:58:32 PMIt's the HSE who set the limits

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 08:21:47 PM
According to Beeb's (post #93) it's down to HSE, so I'll leave you two ant-Brexit peeps to fight it out.
The HSE can only enforce regulations made by government. (They can't make regulations.)

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 07:52:09 PM
That is down to government NOT the HSE.
According to Beeb's (post #93) it's down to HSE, so I'll leave you two ant-Brexit peeps to fight it out.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 07:50:29 PM
But they've got time to changes to rules on pesticides.
That is down to government NOT the HSE.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 07:21:19 PM
Nick, they do not have the necessary staff to carry out the number of inspections needed.
But they've got time to changes to rules on pesticides. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on September 19, 2024, 07:19:02 PM
Are you suggesting that the HSE having had a 35% reduction is staff has got more time to do stuff like remove safeguards from food? Your comment doesn't wash I'm afraid.
Nick, they do not have the necessary staff to carry out the number of inspections needed.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on September 19, 2024, 07:05:34 PM
Given the amount the HSE budget has been slashed, trust isn't the issue.

(AI search.)

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has seen significant budget cuts since 2010, including:

Funding
The HSE's real-terms funding has been cut by around 45% since 2010. In 2022, funding increased to £185 million, but this is still significantly lower than 2010.
Staff
The HSE has seen a 35% reduction in staff since 2010, and the number of inspectors has fallen by 18%.
These cuts have led to a capacity, staffing, and skills crisis that threatens the HSE's ability to keep people safe at work. Some say that the HSE needs more resources to deal with emerging threats, such as the worsening mental health crisis, the growth of the gig economy, and the move towards net zero.
Are you suggesting that the HSE having had a 35% reduction is staff has got more time to do stuff like remove safeguards from food? Your comment doesn't wash I'm afraid. 

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 19, 2024, 04:58:32 PM
It's the HSE who set the limits via regulation rather than legislation.

The limits apply to production, import and sale.

Grape, coffee, tea etc produced around the world is produced to differnt standards. They use some horrendous pesticides in Africa and India.

If the resulting produce has too high a level it can't be imported into the UK or EU. Instead they would be shipped to a country that is happy to accept them.

The UK no longer keeps pace with the EU (this is a direct Brexit effect)

The research the article cites seems to imply that some levels have actually gone backwards from where we were, again this is a direct Brexit effect.

"I wash my veg" doesn't really get around the fact that the pesticide residuals allowed on and in (the same thing applies to substances given to livestock) our food are higher than they would otherwise be. This cannot be seen as a good thing.
Well, your article in the Guardian is firmly putting the blame on the Government. 

The Guardian revealed in January that the UK had dropped a [color=var(--article-link-text)]swathe of EU-derived environmental protections[/color], despite Michael Gove, Boris Johnson and other architects of Brexit [color=var(--article-link-text)]having promised that they would be strengthened[/color] after the UK left the bloc.