Anyone spot the problem with this article?

Started by BeElBeeBub, September 13, 2024, 08:56:38 AM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 13, 2024, 06:08:14 PM
If they didn't come, who would have done the jobs they did?

(as an aside EU. Migration tended to skew much higher educated than the UK born population. - immigrants tended to land in clownskill"jibs first because that is what you do when you first land in a new country whilst you get your feet. I worked with several Polish and other EU people in Hugh skilled jobs who had starred in bar/cleaning etc work when they first arrived whilst they went to interviews, got a flat sorred etc)
School leavers ,who in the main thought encouraged by the Blair government that going to university was a better idea . Those that didn't found no other options for employment but dead end jobs or the competition of more experienced workers from Europe . It left the UK with the lowest number of technical qualifications in Europe and a shortage of skilled manual labour

I don't blame the eastern europeans for coming here , I blame the government for abandoning the working class in their haste to create a liberal graduate one  . Even that was a failure with companies more inclined to take on experienced workers from eastern Europe with a 10 year working history than green behind the ears  25 year old post graduates who when asked what experience they had answered "I been in school ".

So when you ask who would have done these jobs the answer is ,it should have been us but we gave them to someone else .

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2024, 07:46:57 PM
You have no idea how angry comments like that make me. I often suspect people with that opinion would no know what hard work is. Personally I worked 60-80 hours week for decades and so did most of my peer group.
But were you efficient and productive and being special — or just playing out presentism, or on call?

Your peer group — sounds like either fishing crew or Santa's little helpers at it day and night from October then lazing around for nine months with Prancer and Dancer...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on September 13, 2024, 07:38:43 PM
The problem is that we have Brits unwilling to get off their backsides and work,
You have no idea how angry comments like that make me. I often suspect people with that opinion would no know what hard work is. Personally I worked 60-80 hours week for decades and so did most of my peer group.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

cromwell

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 13, 2024, 06:08:14 PM

(as an aside EU. Migration tended to skew much higher educated than the UK born population. - immigrants tended to land in clownskill"jibs first because that is what you do when you first land in a new country whilst you get your feet. I worked with several Polish and other EU people in Hugh skilled jobs who had starred in bar/cleaning etc work when they first arrived whilst they went to interviews, got a flat sorred etc)
The problem is that we have Brits unwilling to get off their backsides and work,it was once called the Protestant work ethic which seems to have died a death because we really don't need to bring in immigrants we need to make people work and stop their benefits if they refuse.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 13, 2024, 05:23:55 PM
Which was one of my issues with our membership of the EU that flooded the UK with low paid workers from eastern Europe .

Streetwalker

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on September 13, 2024, 02:30:04 PM

It is a good point regarding minimum wage though. Anybody employing low wage workers is effectively being subsidised by the rest of us.
Which was one of my issues with our membership of the EU that flooded the UK with low paid workers from eastern Europe . 

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: papasmurf on September 13, 2024, 10:10:55 AM
As it is in the Telegraph and the Mail I would like to see the actual data.
😂😂😂😂😂

Like that would ever happen. 

BeElBeeBub

Yeah, they compare the "low wage migrant" with the "average brit" 

The correct comparison should be clownwage migrant" v "low wage brit", which I suspect wouod come out way worse for the brit as we have to pay for early years and are more likely to pay for retirement etc whilst there is a chance that the low wage migrant might go home. 

The core issue is low wage workers (sub 50% national average I believe, about 15k) are net drains on the budget. 

They may well (probably do) perform important work like cleaning, porters, unpaid child care etc but on the spreadsheet, they are all net drains regardless of origin. 

It is a good point regarding minimum wage though. Anybody employing low wage workers is effectively being subsidised by the rest of us. 

Streetwalker

I would say the headline which is pretty negative given the content of the article .

papasmurf

As it is in the Telegraph and the Mail I would like to see the actual data.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe