'Arrogant and conceited!' Danny Kelly says EU flags should be BANNED at the Proms - 'Hijacking the occasion'

Started by GBNews, September 16, 2024, 01:02:02 PM

« previous - next »

Unlucky4Sum

And then there's the Coda restaurant there.  Nice and pricey to keep out the riff raff 

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 19, 2024, 08:01:23 AM
Sadly like most things these days the powers to be have decided we can't have fun anymore . The risk assessment probably came up with something like 1 in 100,000 people 'might' be offended by the sound of a cannon so they banned it .
Err no

I believe it's about agreeing to disagree on fees as it appears to be on at other locations

Oh if you have the time the official tour of the Albert Hall is very good (lot of walking).

Streetwalker

Quote from: Unlucky4Sum on September 18, 2024, 08:29:53 PM
Sadly for reasons unknown the Albert Hall hasn't hosted the Classical Spectacular for a couple of years now.  If they ever do it's a great night out.  Cannons firing from the top gallery and other fun.
Sadly like most things these days the powers to be have decided we can't have fun anymore . The risk assessment probably came up with something like 1 in 100,000 people 'might' be offended by the sound of a cannon so they banned it .

Unlucky4Sum

Quote from: Streetwalker on September 18, 2024, 12:10:23 PM
I took the family to a Sc-fi night a couple of years ago that was quite good , loads of Star Wars and Trekki music with lots of special effects . The grand finale was the theme from Superman with the conductor ripping off his shirt to reveal his 'S' vest underneath . All good fun and if they still do that set its worth booking up .
Sadly for reasons unknown the Albert Hall hasn't hosted the Classical Spectacular for a couple of years now.  If they ever do it's a great night out.  Cannons firing from the top gallery and other fun.

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on September 17, 2024, 06:35:40 PM
Ah so they didn't display them :P
I couldn't swear to that. There were a lot of flags there, of all sorts, but I wasn't counting and I recall only noticing a couple of EU flags, and they weren't draped over the balconies.

For those that this is important, I guess viewing on iPlayer could give a more accurate estimate...

PS —  viewing the Last Night, reinforced my view that Land of Hope and Glory would be a better national anthem than God Save the King...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borg Refinery on September 17, 2024, 12:04:52 AM
Any good performances at the Proms this year worth watching?
I took the family to a Sc-fi night a couple of years ago that was quite good , loads of Star Wars and Trekki music with lots of special effects . The grand finale was the theme from Superman with the conductor ripping off his shirt to reveal his 'S' vest underneath . All good fun and if they still do that set its worth booking up .

cromwell

Quote from: patman post on September 17, 2024, 04:07:31 PM
We've just invested in an expensive soundbar, so watching/listening a few Proms was the chance to test it out.

We didn't watch them all but, as nearly always, Last Night was a must. They (Proms and soundbar) didn't disappoint.

There were flags there, overwhelmingly Union Jacks, but others were being waived too. Can't say I noticed more than a couple EU flags.

I've heard criticisms that the Proms are staging too much pop. Personally, I think the mix of classic, film, folk, pop standards, etc, was about right — Prom goers and viewers can choose which concerts to attend or tune into...
Ah so they didn't display them :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

patman post

We've just invested in an expensive soundbar, so watching/listening a few Proms was the chance to test it out.

We didn't watch them all but, as nearly always, Last Night was a must. They (Proms and soundbar) didn't disappoint.

There were flags there, overwhelmingly Union Jacks, but others were being waived too. Can't say I noticed more than a couple EU flags.

I've heard criticisms that the Proms are staging too much pop. Personally, I think the mix of classic, film, folk, pop standards, etc, was about right — Prom goers and viewers can choose which concerts to attend or tune into...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Unlucky4Sum

Probably.  They did Beethoven's ninth again this year (Prom 42) and that's always a cracker.   

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0022g49/bbc-proms-2024-beethovens-ninth-unwrapped

Going to the Proms is a pricey day out but everyone that can should do it at least once.

Borg Refinery

+++

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Probably the one occasion on the calendar when the reserved people of the UK  can be unashamed about their British /English routes without being tagged as Nationalistic racist xenophobes . Some overseas visitors like to show their own colours which is great and some of those will be from the EU so thats great as well .

Union Flag

What I would add though is that if any  Englishman is found to be in the possession of the blue rag they should be marched from the building and and made to watch Millwall FC at the Den whilst wearing it as a skirt pinned together with a Palace rosette 

GBNews

'Arrogant and conceited!' Danny Kelly says EU flags should be BANNED at the Proms - 'Hijacking the occasion'

Ex-BBC reporter Danny Kelly has claimed that waving EU flags at The Last Night of the Proms is just "arrogant and conceited" in a debate over the controversial move to ban the display of the flags.

Despite a ban on "protest flags" at the Royal Albert Hall, the iconic venue was awash with blue and yellow stars, sparking debate about tradition and Brexit.

Danny Kelly said: "I think it's trying to sort of sow division, and it's almost an arrogant, conceited way of hijacking this particular spectacular occasion just to rub people's nose in it that they were wrong. That's their perception. That's their argument.

"I think that Last Night of the Proms is all about what's great about the United Kingdom. We're not part of the European Union anymore.

Danny Kelly

"You get the impression that there are all these middle class leftie-luvvies who are just trying to take control of the situation.

"This is an iconic evening in the history of British TV and I think that they were right to confiscate them."

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS

However political commentator Nigel Nelson said: "They should get their rules sorted out because some EU flags were confiscated and some weren't. The staff there didn't know what they're meant to be doing.

He added: "If you're going to have flags at an event, what you can't do is stop people bringing in the flag of their choice, provided it's not a proscribed organisation."

He also suggested banning all flags, and said: "I think it's a great evening, a great British event.

"What I'm saying if their rules are such that they can't understand what they're doing, then ban all flags. And that would have to include the Union Jack."

Proms

Nana argued: "Why would it include the Union Jack? You could ban all flags apart from the Union Jack. It's your venue, your rules. You can have whatever you want in there."

The Royal Albert Hall's guidance stated that flags were permitted if they didn't interfere with the concert, but banned those "related to protest, hatred" or from proscribed groups.

However, enforcement appeared inconsistent, causing confusion among attendees.

The tradition of flag-waving at the Last Night of the Proms has taken on new significance since the Brexit referendum in 2016.

Nigel Nelson

EU flags have become a regular fixture, with "Prommers" using them to express their allegiances.

This shift has sparked concern among some who view the event as a celebration of British patriotism.

The BBC has also faced criticism, with presenter Katie Derham recently labelling Rule, Britannia! and Land of Hope and Glory as "incredibly problematic" due to their historical context.

Source: 'Arrogant and conceited!' Danny Kelly says EU flags should be BANNED at the Proms - 'Hijacking the occasion'