Replacing a broken bog seat hinge.

Started by papasmurf, March 08, 2020, 11:35:27 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18160 time=1583669933 user_id=89
No drill the correct size.

Drill the the smallest hole possible and then pack it with matchsticks and chewing gum.
Algerie Francais !

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18170 time=1583672945 user_id=89

:hattip  :hattip  :hattip  :hattip  :hattip

To give an idea of the levelof my plumbing skills, it took me a while th realise that was not the best way to empty the vanity basin
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18170 time=1583672945 user_id=89

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

And the darn things always move. However tight you do the nuts up they move. So I bought one that was non slip and used a glue similar to bathroom sealant to fix the hinge points. Fine for about a year until the plastic cracked.

I need a notice, "No squirming!".  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

Wiggles

Been there, done it, and worn the T shirt. Bog seats can be absolute bitches. In a few weeks I will be putting in a complete bathroom. Having done it a few times before, I know the project will be  fraught with problems
A hand up, not a hand out

papasmurf

Quote from: GregB post_id=18161 time=1583670271 user_id=72
Well that's your shortfall  :D

I rarely drill holes in wood anyway. Usually masonry and steel. My home is built of a now banned type of block which contains Blue Elvan, which is next to impossible to drill, without using tipped drill bit and a percussion drill.

Barry

No such thing as a 5 minute job, eh, Papasmurf?  :lol:
† The end is nigh †

GregB

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=18160 time=1583669933 user_id=89

Well that's your shortfall  :D

papasmurf

Quote from: GregB post_id=18159 time=1583669763 user_id=72
Should've drilled pilot holes for screws  :D

GregB

Should've drilled pilot holes for screws  :D

papasmurf

Last Friday the bog seat and lid hinge broke. By the wonder of internet shopping a new one arrived by post yesterday.

I thought, (wrong,) it would be a simple job. Removing the broken bits proved to be problematic, old screws would not screw out, and I had to resort to old fashioned brute force and hammer and chisel.

That accomplished, I thought screwed the new brass hinge fitting to the seat and lid would be easy.

It wasn't, hinge positions meant, screwing the wood screws directly into fresh wood.

I have no idea what now banned specie of wood the bog seat and lid are made of, but my the clutch on my electric screw driver slipped on the maximum setting, so I had to resort to a very large manual screwdriver from my time as gunsmith, with a set of molegrips  clamped to the shaft.

The replacement hinge kit came with vibration damping washers on the toilet mounts.

(In case of earthquakes or curry?)